PRIMAL FEAR : 2014 North American tour

You know it's weird. This is one band I've never understood why they didn't get more popular. Most of their material is good and one of the better live power metal acts, yet no one goes to see them. As much as I'm glad they're going to be touring here, I'm surprised they are.

I have the same interrogations as you. Why isn't Primal Fear more popular? It's beyond me.

When they sarted, people said they were too much of a Priest clone. Not they're not anymore, but it seems people would like them to still be that clone. They're like in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. As for me, I thought their latest albums were excellent and should have widened their audience, but it looks it didn't happen, sadly...

To a previous poster, I am not trying to be a jerk, but I would REALLY love to see proof that Primal Fear anywhere at their own show in N America drew 200 people.

I have no proof to show you but in Sept. 2009 in Montreal, there were surely at least 150-200 people in the Foufounes Electriques club. And in Quebec City in May 2010, it was around the same numbers at l'Imperial.

I saw Raven last week and the turnout was maybe 75 and there was at least 2 or 3 times more people for the PF gigs.

The province of Quebec is most of the times a great market for metal bands.

I have no proof to show you but in Sept. 2009 in Montreal, there were surely at least 150-200 people in the Foufounes Electriques club. And in Quebec City in May 2010, it was around the same numbers at l'Imperial.

I saw Raven last week and the turnout was maybe 75 and there was at least 2 or 3 times more people for the PF gigs.

The province of Quebec is most of the times a great market for metal bands.

Don't sweat it. If it didn't happen in Chicago, it doesn't exist to some posters.

I have the same interrogations as you. Why isn't Primal Fear more popular? It's beyond me.

They never really took part in a major power metal tour in the States.

Not every power metal band was a sure thing off the bat in the States.

That was the case for some bands like Nightwish and Blind Guardian.

Though others, like HammerFall, Edguy, etc, were on package tours before doing their own headline runs.

Anyhow, that's my take on it.

They never really took part in a major power metal tour in the States.

Not every power metal band was a sure thing off the bat in the States.

That was the case for some bands like Nightwish and Blind Guardian.

Though others, like HammerFall, Edguy, etc, were on package tours before doing their own headline runs.

Anyhow, that's my take on it.

I have to agree with the Professor here.

I have to agree with the Professor here.

:devil:
thanks_for_having_my_back_cards-ra1aba79995544f349a921a15d00a5eb0_xvuat_8byvr_512.jpg

I agree with Jasonic here. Primal Fear never put the time into touring the US on a regular basis, either as an opening act or as a headliner. In the San Francisco area, bands like Nightwish, Symphony X. Epica, Kamalot and Opeth put a lot of work into being able to draw like they do now. Each and every time these bands come around the draw gets larger. All of these bands 10 years ago were playing small clubs to small crowds, but each time they come around it seems like the crowd size doubles. All of these bands went from drawing 100 in a club to playing places that hold 700-2,500. You can't just show up once every 6 years and expect to have a following. None of these bands get radio airplay, so the only way to become known is through repeated exposure by touring. The problem is that bands don't make money playing to 100 people a night, but if you don't put the time and effort (and money) in touring while drawing 100 per night, you will never be able to draw 1,000 per night. That is just the way it goes. Exposure has to start somewhere, and for most bands these days that exposure comes from touring. Sabaton is a band that gets that, and they are obviously trying to break the US market by touring - and it seems to be working.

I was just talking about Louisville, KY and power metal shows lately. How many people on average would you say go to a show like Primal Fear or any of the bands we would listen to here on this forum? Purely curious..

Yeah that's the problem with PF and a hanful of other bands where after their first shot of US soil they think they can headline shows, when they should be building by supporting others.

I was just talking about Louisville, KY and power metal shows lately. How many people on average would you say go to a show like Primal Fear or any of the bands we would listen to here on this forum? Purely curious..

I think people see where you are going Milton.
As a friend (if you would say we are friends), I would seriously not spend $$$ buying onto this tour. Let's be realistic. These shows simply are not going to do well.

I think people see where you are going Milton.
As a friend (if you would say we are friends), I would seriously not spend $$$ buying onto this tour. Let's be realistic. These shows simply are not going to do well.

Man, it seems like it's your wish that this Primal Fear tour won't do well... Would you like it to be already cancelled?

I say, let's just wait and see how it goes.

I agree with all of you. The last time that I saw Primal Fear on a headlining tour was way back about three or four years ago and they did not even come to Chicago. I drove to The Rave in Milwaukee where they played in the smallest venue room that they have there and the crowd was in between 40-50 people. Not a very good turnout and not a very good venue. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that I went, but they do need to do a better job of touring and getting their name out there.

Hey Jasonic, that would be a good show for Ancient Dreams to open for. First Helloween, then Manilla Road, and then Primal Fear. Just a thought. :)

I agree with all of you. The last time that I saw Primal Fear on a headlining tour was way back about three or four years ago and they did not even come to Chicago. I drove to The Rave in Milwaukee where they played in the smallest venue room that they have there and the crowd was in between 40-50 people. Not a very good turnout and not a very good venue. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that I went, but they do need to do a better job of touring and getting their name out there.

Hey Jasonic, that would be a good show for Ancient Dreams to open for. First Helloween, then Manilla Road, and then Primal Fear. Just a thought. :)

don't see that happening after he spent a day saying the show will tank.

Man, it seems like it's your wish that this Primal Fear tour won't do well... Would you like it to be already cancelled?

I say, let's just wait and see how it goes.

No!!! Not at all!!!!!!!
Sorry, I am just being realistic about things here.

Power metal in the US has been on a steady decline for the past 5 years I would say. Sure, Nightwish, Kamelot, Blind Guardian and Helloween do very well......

Though there is a reason Edguy , HammerFall, Sonata, etc don't come here as often as they used to, as their crowd size has steadily decreased.

Point being that Primal Fear really should be going out supporting a stronger headliner, or bringing out an equal size band to co-headline with. Sure, it might mean making less $$$ but would be a necessary step.

As I said above, they got on that Halford tour in 03, but didn't capitalize on the opportunity.

While I like PF, I am not sure how well of a fit we would be for that.
Helloween crosses over beyond power metal to the traditional metal crowd as well. PF really resides in the true power metal scene. I guess I wouldn't be opposed to it if we were asked.

There's other gigs in the works too.

We really need to take time off from shows though to write more material and hopefully record an album next year. That's the plan.

Thanks again for checking us out again and getting a shirt.

Can't wait to see your pics.