PRIMAL FEAR : 2014 North American tour

Why don't bands focus on The States? Please begin at post #2 and watch how "the metal community" here supports bands. If you believe they're gonna draw 40/night then don't you have some sort of responsibility as a fan of this criminally-ignored genre (metal) to do more about it than bitch and piss and moan and criticize? Tell somebody about it. Put a status on Facebook. Make a positive post here. Go see the show yourself. Take a friend. STFU and do SOMETHING besides snipe from a computer. You go no awards for predicting failure and being correct when it's all said and done. All you get is less metal here and deservedly so.

DragonForce's last album went more under the radar than the last Primal Fear even did!!! (And that's VERY low under the radar)

Jason, you need to think sometimes before posting. That's an absurd statement.

Yes, the last Dragonforce did a lot worse than the previous, but it did much better than Primal Fear. The problem with Dragonforce is they lost all their momentum between switching singers and a longer gap between albums. By the time they released the last one, all of their momentum was completely gone.

"Just because it sold more doesn't mean anything.

it still went under the radar. Nobody talks about it on the forums I frequent.

whether or not I see people talking about a band on the 5 forums I check up on is critical to a band's success.

Trust me."

Easy Simon....
They COMPLETELY blew their opportunity to break in the states.

Date back to 2003 to Halfords "Metal Gods" tour.

That tour, though short lived was STACKED with bands who followed through from having their first big exposure in the states:
AMON AMARTH
BEHEMOTH
CARNAL FORGE
PRIMAL FEAR

(also were Halford, Testament, Immortal, etc)

The point being is Amon Amarth and Behemoth, primarily out of the bunch, continued to explore the States and jumped on a WIDE variety of tours.

This was the time when MANY power metal bands were starting to tour more regularly in the States (IE - HammerFall, Edguy, Kamelot, Nightwish, etc, etc).

So, the opportunity for Primal Fear TO become popular here was certainly there. They just chose to not concentrate on the States.

By no means are Primal Fear alone in this category.

I just think PF make the mistake of continuing to try to be a headliner here in the States. They should be the direct support before making that leap, IMHO.

To a previous poster, I am not trying to be a jerk, but I would REALLY love to see proof that Primal Fear anywhere at their own show in N America drew 200 people.

This is probably the best explanation of why they aren't bigger here. Hardcore fans are awesome, however there aren't enough to pay for a full tour.

I become a fan of bands a lot of the time BECAUSE they tour..

I check all of the calendars for the Dallas venues at least twice a week a look for new additions to the calendar, and take the time to go to Youtube and listen to anyone that I might be interested in, and if I like it, I buy some music, go see the band, and buy a couple of shirts, at the least (which explains the hundreds of tshirts controlling most of my closet space). Even if they're not the headliner, they are least net $30-40 off of my merch purchases.

Jason, you need to think sometimes before posting. That's an absurd statement.

Yes, the last Dragonforce did a lot worse than the previous, but it did much better than Primal Fear. The problem with Dragonforce is they lost all their momentum between switching singers and a longer gap between albums. By the time they released the last one, all of their momentum was completely gone.

6000 VS 1000 - Tomato / Tomatoe......

Whatevs, both tanked. That's the point.
Sorry, you got the point. I didn't need to pull the numbers.
6000 VS 1000 is JUST as bad, regardless.

So you're saying $18,000 in profit is the same thing as $3,000 in profit or do you just enjoy digging deep holes?

Why don't bands focus on The States? Please begin at post #2 and watch how "the metal community" here supports bands. If you believe they're gonna draw 40/night then don't you have some sort of responsibility as a fan of this criminally-ignored genre (metal) to do more about it than bitch and piss and moan and criticize? Tell somebody about it. Put a status on Facebook. Make a positive post here. Go see the show yourself. Take a friend. STFU and do SOMETHING besides snipe from a computer. You go no awards for predicting failure and being correct when it's all said and done. All you get is less metal here and deservedly so.

All valid points, but now think about it from the Production side of things and not the fans point of view. Primal Fear will hit the road playing each night with 3 or 4 local openers. Its a double edged sword. what you HOPE happens is that these are openers who are excited to be playing with Primal Fear and will actually support the show. What happens probably 50% of the time, if not more, a band is booked who just wants to play a show and barely helps to promote it.

Sure, the fan has a responsibility if you want to bring simple Supply and Demand ECON 101 into the mix. But now from the FAN perspective you have to consider what is the demand?

Every scene is different. In bigger markets, there of course is a lot more competition. Take a NY, LA, or Chicago where there are literally more than 10 shows a week (Not even remotely joking). PF with 4 local openers can easily go unnoticed.

The bands agent has to also be realistic about how the band can draw on their own.

I applaud the agents and promoters who are putting together smaller packages like Vicious Rumors / Seven Witches, or when Milton did Icarus Witch / Widow / etc... Every tour is a gamble, but you can at least see effort was given to make the gig attractive for different types of folks.

So you're saying $18,000 in profit is the same thing as $3,000 in profit or do you just enjoy digging deep holes?

It's all relative my friend.

Once again, for DragonForce, selling 6,000 units compared to previous efforts means it went comparitavely "under the radar", if not moreso than PF.

For PF 1000 units is realistic and generated the same amount of discussion as their previous efforts in recent years. For DF it was a major miss, and in the metal community, though sold MORE units, still went under the radar.

Sorry that you required this clarification.

Jason,

When are you going to admit to everyone that you created the metal industry in North America? Do you sit at the top of the official heavy metal council? I swear to God sometimes I picture Dio going up to you, kissing your hand and asking you for blessing and/or forgiveness when necessary.

Your whole "buy on assumption" from before is still bothering me, I am not going to lie.

6000 VS 1000 - Tomato / Tomatoe......

Whatevs, both tanked. That's the point.
Sorry, you got the point. I didn't need to pull the numbers.
6000 VS 1000 is JUST as bad, regardless.

Jason, you said it was more under the radar than Primal Fear. That was my sole complaint about what you said, which was a ridiculous claim. In terms of metal release sales, that is a pretty big difference. I love it how sometimes you overstate things and yet refuse to say you did as such.

Jason,

When are you going to admit to everyone that you created the metal industry in North America? Do you sit at the top of the official heavy metal council? I swear to God sometimes I picture Dio going up to you, kissing your hand and asking you for blessing and/or forgiveness when necessary.

Your whole "buy on assumption" from before is still bothering me, I am not going to lie.

:worship: to the first part.

I hate to defend Jason, but if you were in this area and went to shows at Mojoes or Reggies, you would understand where he's coming from. We get a ton of these shows, much like other cities do I'm sure where if it doesn't sell well, they try to start adding buy ons to shows to help ticket sales.

Jason, you said it was more under the radar than Primal Fear. That was my sole complaint about what you said, which was a ridiculous claim. In terms of metal release sales, that is a pretty big difference. I love it how sometimes you overstate things and yet refuse to say you did as such.

What? In the underground community, you probably read less about the new DF than you did PF. Sure, DF may have sold more units, but that's basically based on Guitar Hero bandwagonners that hadn't yet gone away.....

What? In the underground community, you probably read less about the new DF than you did PF. Sure, DF may have sold more units, but that's basically based on Guitar Hero bandwagonners that hadn't yet gone away.....

Dude, you can't base things purely off what people say on a select few metal boards. Sure there might be some with the guitar hero thing, but you're merely assuming here...

Wait what???????????????????

You are acting like its a secret that bands buy-on to get on tours.

You took my comment WAY too personal.
I never stated that you yourself had done it.

Just stated that this tour would not be one worthy of a buy-on.

It was my general opinion after reading what I thought was you trying to calculate what the draw for this tour would be in a given city.

Seriousy......... that would be like me getting offended if you said, "Hey did Ancient Dreams have to pay to play to get on the Helloween show"??????

It's part of the business..............