progpower band

May 9, 2003
I had only heard of the band Secret Sphere because they are one of the bands to play at progpower usa this year. I didn't think much of them until today, the guy who sells me all my cd's happened to have their newest cd along with a promotional copy of it. I decided to borrow it from him and had him pop it in so I could hear a preview. After surfing the first couple of tracks I picked up the non promotional "for sale" copy and gave him money saying "might as well buy it now since I know I would end up buying it anyway". This band is VERY underatted even for a progressice/symphonic/power metal band. Anyone going to progpower are in for quite a treat! I am now even more angry I am not going to progpower since not only Symphony X are playing but also Evergrey, Nightwish, Pagan's Mind, and now Secret Sphere! If Adagio were added to the list it would just about be enough to get me to sneak my way into the damn festival! Anyone else hear heard SS? I am just amazed at how great they are and that I have never heard anybody talk about them.

Like I said before, I never gave much thought to the band except that they were going to play at ProgPower. When I heard them I was blown away! Give them a listen they will surprise. Also, I don't know how well they play live, but if they do a good job and choose the right songs for their short set they just might be the surprise of the show (figuring that just about everyone there will already be fans of Symphony X, Evergrey, Nightwish, and Rage) since not many seem to listen to them.

Secret Sphere is pretty good, from the few songs I've heard. I dunno about the vocalist, but the music is damn good.

At least he's not as bad as the Redemption vocalist. Ugh.

Yeah the vocalist is nothing special but the music makes up for it tremendously. It is the same sounding voice that a lot of euro metal bands have, like Stratovarious or Brainstorm. I think the vocals are all right just nothing original or unique about them.

Yeah since I got their Scent of Human Desire cd I have downloaded a few from A Time Nevercome and am planning to buy that sometime as well.

"A Time Nevercome" is a fantastic symphonic/neoclassical/power metal album... very very good... unfortunately... I think "Scent of Human Excrement" is perhaps the worst album in the history of albums.

^^^^^ Check out Missa Mercuria. Awesome prog metal project that features more than a few vocalists, the best ones IMO being Andy Kuntz (Vanden Plas), D.C. Cooper, and David Readman (Adagio). A really really great CD that is one of my fav progmetal albums.

I don't think the vocalist is bad, besides, I think the music is WAY more important than the vocals anyway...it is called music! Scent of Human Desire I think is quite well balanced, I can tell that it is probably their most ballad like album. I think the song Runaway Train has one of the most heartfelt chorus's I have ever heard, along with a great fast paced drum/bass riff in the verses. I haven't heard but one or two songs from the other albums but it seems that Scent of Human Desire has a more prog atmosphere than the other albums which sound (thus far) more power metal driven. Also, I think the end of the final track sounds quite awesome when they get reall jazzy in the last minute or so of the song. My biggest gripe is how a couple tracks seem to carry a very 80's glam metal sound to them...I don't know, just how it sounds to me (especially when the drummer uses the cow bell).