ProgPower IV Review

alexofbodom

Feb 24, 2002
Visit site
A few weeks ago I made a preview for PPIV, now I will make my review.

Pre-Show Party:
It was unfortunate that some bands did not show up (or some members of certain bands) because I still remember how great it was last year when they all showed up and I got to meet the musicians I wanted to meet. But the bands that played this year were a lot better than last year.

Katagory V:
very interesting mix of prog and power metal. They had a very good rythm section and I enjoyed their show.

Stride:
They were great! They have by far been the best pre-show party band I have seen so far. Great Dream Theater style prog metal. The guitarist was insane!!!!!! I could see them opening a ProgPower one year in the future.

Prymary:
Did not sound bad, but I left early into set because I had not slept in over 24 hours (I drove all night Wednesday). Can't really comment on them.

Friday:

Redemption:
I thought they did a pretty decent job at opening the festival. It is definitely not my favortie style of music, but I felt they played very professionally and it all sounded pretty good. I guess the appearance of Ray Adler was cool for many (I am not a big Fates Warning fan) and thus there was some excitement in the crowd (for opening act standards). I guess the weird part was that it was hard to tell who was a permanent member and who was a guest. But still a pretty decent show!

Mercenary:
I really enjoyed their mix of death and melodic metal. They were by far the best non-power/prog band at any PP I have been to (II, III, and IV). I was really impressed by the lead-guitarrist who I believe is brand new in the band and is only 19. He played every single note to perfection!!! Great talent! The sound was very good and clean, and the clean/death vocals at the same time sound really cool and original (I have not heard many bands with clean/death vocals where both sing at the same time). They also had a very solid set list and lots of energy on stage. Great show!!!

Vanden Plas:
I was expecting great things from these guys, but I have to say they exceeded my expectations. I was really amazed by the energy they brought to their show. It is not easy to do that when you are in a prog metal band since the style is not as energetic as power metal, but they did one hell of a job at it. They played everything to perfection and their setlist was great. The guitarrist Stephan Lill was amazing. He played every solo to perfection and his overall sound was heavy and crystal clear. Andy Kuntz (vocals) was flawless as well. I was really impressed by his great "live" voice as well as by his great stage presence. The rest of the band was also rock solid. That was a great show!!! I'm very glad Glenn gave them another chance after PPII.

Nightwish:
You could easily tell they were the most anticipated band at PPIV as the crowd just went nuts seconds before they came on stage. Their live sound was impecable and powerful, and there was a really great vibe in the venue. Tarja is truly a great singer and it was fun to see her since you don't get to see many female fronted metal-bands (I know there are quite a few, but here in US I have only seen Arch Enemy and now Nightwish) She still needs to losen up when it comes to her movements on stage (always does the same hand gestures). The drummer was great and I was really impressed by the bassist's voice. He sang all his parts to perfection and he was quite entertaining, which is good since the rest of the band seems to be very shy. The biggest disappointment for me here was the setlist: in my preview I said they would not play many songs from Oceanborn...well...they only played one and that was a ballad. WTF??? Oceanborn is IMO their best album and they just ignored it. Also, why the hell play two covers??? Over the Hills was great...but Crazy Train??? And where were the classics such as Sacrament of Wilderness, Pharaoh Sails to Orion or Wanderlust???Like I said, great sound, great energy, great vibe, great performance...but very mediocre set-list. It could have been much better.

Symphony X:
One word: WOW!!! What a show!!! I agree Romeo's guitar was to high, but still they did a historical performance. Russell Allen sounded better than ever. Man can he sing!!! And he has the perfect personality for a frontman. And Michael Romeo...he was shredding like a God!!! I can't believe how effortless he plays all this stuff. The entire band was great as always and the set-list was perfect. Without a doubt the highlight was "The Odyssey"!!! I can't believe they pulled it out without the use of tapes...just the instruments. Romeo and Pinella were just amazing and everybody loved it. I also loved the fact that they played both Accolades in a row because many people (including myself) had been hoping to her those two played together in a live show. Of Sins and Shadows, Evolution, Sea of Lies, Out of the Ashed, Smoke and Mirrors, etc. They really know how to pick the best songs. By far the best band of Night 1. I was glad they got to play the 5th slot instead of Nightwish because "The Odyssey" was the perfect ending for a long day of metal.

Saturday:

Pagan's Mind:
Without any doubt the best opener ever at a ProgPower. Man, I am addicted to "Celestial Entrance" and I was hoping for a great live show...and they managed to exceed all my expectations. They played everything to perfection, as if I was listening to the CD. They also seemed to have a lot of fun in playing live and managed to win over the crowd in 45 minutes. The only disappointment was that they only played 45 minutes...I wanted more!!! (and I am sure many others felt the same way). The singer was hitting every note to perfection, the lead guitarrist was nailing all the solos with ease, the basist was having the fun of his life, the drummer, rythm guitarrist, and keyboardist were all playing great as well. Man, are they a cool band! I would not be surprised to see them again at PPVI or VII playing 3rd or 4th slot. As predicted in my preview, the surprise of the festival IMO.

Secret Sphere:
Man...this was terrible! They were the only band at PPIV that I did not like. Actually, I could not stand them. Everything went wrong...the sound was horrible (couldn't hear any of the two guitars), the setlist awful (I was hoping for songs off the first two albums, but they almost only played the new album, which sucks!), the singer had no idea how to deal with the crowd, and what is up with those outfits?????? :err: The only positive thing was the back-up singer...not because of her voice (which was terrible by the way) but because she was hot as hell. This was the only bad performance of the weekend.

Circle II Circle:
In my preview I had said they were going to be the most boring band this year's festival, but I was wrong. They truly offered a great show highlighted by Zack's incredible voice and the band's overall great stage presence. They really knew how to excite the audience. I am not saying that they were my favorite band because I still don't really dig their music, and I am not a big Savatage fan either, but they did exceed my expectations and made it a very enjoyable show for me. Good job!

Evergrey:
I really love this band, and their performance at PPII was amazing, but I was a bit disappointed by their performance this year. They have become a bit predictable live (this was third time I have seen them) and their sound was not really good (could not hear the melodies, and the only guitar I could hear was Englund's) Their setlist was great, although the Trilogy of the Damned was a bit long. I would have prefered if they would have done one of those three songs only, not all three ina a row.
Also, what's up with that fat guy who was running on stage all the time??? It was funny, but somehow made the show a bit silly, which is not ideal I think for Evergrey's dark style.
ON the positive side: This was the second time I have seen thier drummer live, and I must say he does one hell of a job. He is a great talent and hopefully will continue with Evergrey in the future.
It was a very enjoyable show and obviously the crowd loved it, but they could do better I think.

Rage:
I don't know where to start. First off, it was sad to see so many people leave and turn their back to one of the greatest metal bands EVER!!! I had never seen PP so empty for the closing band. Over 20 years of great metal and that is the reception they get??? When I got back to the hotel (Fairfield) and hung out on the terrace where people were talking (including members from Pagans Mind, Vanden PLas, and Mercenary) I heard one preson say "I'm glad I left after Evergrey. I have never heard Rage so I did not want to go out on a bad note" I had heard a lot of people say that before the festival "I don't know Rage" or "I have one CD from them and do not really like it (referring to a CD from the 80s, as if that represents the history of Rage, a band that has had more different sounding albums than probably any band in power metal history)", etc. What the fuck???? So many people did not even give them a chance!!! Well, to that person in Fairfield, and all the others, I can say 100% "you missed the best performance in ProgPower history!" They fucking kicked everybody's ass!!! They could have played without energy seeing that people had ignored them, but they did exactlky the opposite, delivering the most energetic and kick-ass show I have ever seen in my life (and I have seen a shit load of concerts) The only people I talked to about it, and who also were front row with me, agreed 100% with what I am saying. Terrana was an animal on drums. A machine!!! He had more energy by himself than all the other PorgPower bands put together. Smolski is one of the coolest guitarrists ever!!! He is in the same league as Michael Romeo and what he did Saturday night was nothing short of amazing. Peavy Wagner, the mind behind Rage, sung flawlessly and also proved to be a monster on bass. He never stopped smiling and had constant contact with the crowd. The set-list, which had to be cut short, was great! Every song kicked ass and they played it with so much energy that I forgot about all my aches that I was feeling at the time due to the long hours of staning in line and being front row for the entire festival without leaving my spot one single time. Usually I am not a big fan of guitar/drum solos since it takes away time for more songs, but in this case I was happy as fuck that they did it, because those were probably the coolest solos ever. Especially Mike Terrana on drums. He is not human!!! He said "I have to destroy this drum kit" and he did exactly that. I had to constantly lift my jaw off the floor in amazement of his skills and speed!!! And I was so happy to see them play the instrumental "Unity"...wow!!!
Many of you probably think I am some crazy Rage-nut who would worship this band no matter what, but I am being 100% honest as a metal fan who has seen a lot of concerts. I never had so much fun in my life. I expected to be sad that PP IV was over, but instead I left with the biggest smile on my face (as well as my friends who also were there). They alone were worth the price of the Gold Badge. I'm 100% sure they will never play in US again (I wouldn't if I was them), but I will definitely go see them in Europe again.
Later I met Terrana (What a nice guy - I wish I could have met the other two as well) and he pretty much summed it all up: explaining why he lived in Germany: "For twenty years I have been playing my ass off in this country but people have just ignored what I do" They once again did it on Saturday. What a shame!

Overall this was probably the strongest ProgPower overall since 9 of the 10 bands ranged from good to amazing. As always everything ran very smoothly except for the sampler's that were being played over the speakers in between bands because they were playing the same CDs over and over and over and over again, and on the second night it was so low you could not hear a thing. It was better in previous years. Still, once again ProgPower was a huge success!!! Thumps up to Glenn.
Next year lets see some Grave Digger, Brainstorm (I noticed lots of people got excited everytime Brainstorm got played over over speakers), Adagio (not very likely), Nocturnal Rites, Masterplan, etc

First, I gotta disagree with you on Secret Sphere. I think they were killer and satisfied me to no extent. I loved their set but I will admit they had a bit too much of the "clap with me" thing going on but other than that I didnt see how he was a bad frontman. Rage OWNED. Simply put all the people that left missed out on the most energetic performance of the night, Terrana behind the KIT was as awesome to watch as Russel was with Sym X. Hey if you were on the front row did you ever see a 6'4 Asian guy with long hair and an "Alive in Athens" shirt? That was me, I was second row Im just wondering what you looked like man.

Ben

I also noticed most leave after Evergrey, which was totally a shame because Rage's performance was nothing short of *fucking monstrous* in every way. Unbelievable energy from just 3 guys and they played "Firestorm" which blew my mind! I've been waiting since 1996 to hear them play that song live!

Also... "Cradle to the Grave" totally stripped of its orchestral arrangements and polish was just CRUSHING. And of course "Higher than the Sky" for the closer was perfect. I thought of Teri (from Seismic) at that moment and I hope she loved it as much as I did.

The solos were jaw dropping, but of course I would have preferred more songs, but hell... it's Rage and I may never get to see them again so I'm not going to bother complaining.... I mean, they played "Firestorm" for fuck's sake!

-Darrin

Hey whats up Darrin,

Im gonna miss the after show lobby discussions of everything metal. You better bring your ass to PP V thats all I have to say... btw thanks for all the smokes I'll pay you back next yeaer man!

Ben

Great review, man! I totally agree with ya! I am not a big Rage fan, but their show was probably the best in the whole festival! I as kinda pissed off everyone left... What the fuck? It wasn't cool at all.. Rage deserved some more respect... Like you all had to work the next day and couldn't at least hang out a little bit... U missed a hell of a show! (and I am not a big rage fan!)

It was nice meeting you after the show, Alex of Bodom!! hope to see ya and the other brazilian dude next year! :)

@Daybraker

I saw you man! I was right in front of you taking pictures... I was wearing a red Dave Matthews Band shirt....

I agree a lot with alexofbodom's overall review. Rage definately had the best performance, although I really would have rather heard great metal tunes than goddamn long solos, no matter how good the solos were. The length of the drum solo dissapointed me greatly. I mean, they may never come back the the US, so just play songs guys!!!! Still, their performance was the best, which is crazy since nightwish is in my top 5 fav bands of all time, and they did great as well. I missed redemption because I forgot my earplugs, and the only band I saw that I did not enjoy was Secret Sphere, which is weird because I am a huge power metal fan. They just don't do it for me.

Daybreaker, I was the guy wearing the Germany national soccer team jersey (medium-long blonde hair). I did notice you (also last ProgPower). You are a tall dude! You wore an Edguy shirt the day before, right?

DrBell: you are right. drum solo could have been a bit shorter. still, I thought I brought some humor into this festival (not saying that there wasn't any, but this was just so fucking hilarious). I had a good laugh and therefore it did no bother me that much. Too bad they had less time to play...there are probably some 50 Rage tunes I would have loved to hear. lol

AngraFan: It was great meeting you too!!! I hope to see you and the rest of the Brazilian batucada next year! Good luck in school and with your magazine!

Redemption - I missed most of their set because of arriving late to the show. What I did hear sounded great though.

Mercenary - I had never heard any of their stuff before but they put on a great show and I enjoyed most of their setlist. Have to get me a copy of their last album now.

Vanden Plas - Excellent performance! Hearing Rainmaker live was incredible.

Nightwish - AWESOME performance and you could really see they enjoyed being there, especially Marco on bass.

Symphony X - I agree, Romeo's guitar was turned up way too loud. But they put on a great show and Russell sounded amazing and was an excellent frontman as usual.

Pagan's Mind - One of the best performances of the show. I'm glad I've owned their latest album for a few months so I already knew most of their setlist.

Secret Sphere - Very disappointing sound and setlist. I love their first two albums and hadn't yet purchased the third, but heard they had changed their style somewhat and many fans didn't like it. So when they came out and played mostly the newer stuff the crowd reaction I saw was just about what I expected.

Circle II Circle - Great performance although I had only listened to their CD one time before the festival. My girlfriend really enjoyed them so I ran out to the lobby and bought her a copy of the CD for her very own.

Evergrey - I agree, sound could have been better but I loved their performance, especially when you consider they had just flown all the way in that morning after performing in Denver the night before. And the fat guy was their guitar tech. He made an excellent save during the one song when Henrik Danhage's guitar got unplugged. He ran out there and plugged it back in.

Rage - How disappointing it was to see so many people leave after Evergrey. :-( BEST OF SHOW, hands down! Excellent sound! I'm a fan of the later Rage albums so seeing them finally playing live was a real thrill. The solos were incredible as was all of Victor's guitar playing. Only thing I was upset about was having to leave before they finished so we could catch the last MARTA train of the night.

RAGE deserved more respect. Rage was doing this while most of the other bands were still shitting in diapers! They were great guys personally as I was privileged enough to speak to Mike and Peavey at length. Musically they all are excellent players. My only regret is probably being able to see them live just this one time. Unless there is divine intervention and a North American tour occurs some time in future. Anyone who walked out on them should hang their head in shame. I'm not just saying this because they've been around 20 years and giving them the "old geezer" token respect, either. Listen to their stuff from their entire career. Also, the assholes in Metallica get all this credit for using an orchestra in metal. Whoopie-fuckin'-do? RAGE did it at least 2 to 3 years before them. And 10 times better! XIII and Ghosts are not only the 2 best metal albums to feature an orchestra on the entire albums, but 2 of the best metal albums-ever! For those who are skeptical and think I'm full of shit, check out these 2 discs, pick your jaw up off the floor and go weep like a school girl for your lacking of knowlegde on this great underrated band! Peavey, Victor, and Mike, you guys fucking rule!

alexofbodom - You can count on me next Progpower, I will definetely be there.

Angrafan - I am the "brazillian dude" you met after the concert. I hope to see you next year.

Alexofbodom/Angrafan: Thank God we left the "Food Place" at that time so we could meet Mike Terrana...he was such a nice guy.

See you guys next year!

RAGE deserved more respect. Rage was doing this while most of the other bands were still shitting in diapers! They were great guys personally as I was privileged enough to speak to Mike and Peavey at length. Musically they all are excellent players. My only regret is probably being able to see them live just this one time. Unless there is divine intervention and a North American tour occurs some time in future. Anyone who walked out on them should hang their head in shame. I'm not just saying this because they've been around 20 years and giving them the "old geezer" token respect, either. Listen to their stuff from their entire career. Also, the assholes in Metallica get all this credit for using an orchestra in metal. Whoopie-fuckin'-do? RAGE did it at least 2 to 3 years before them. And 10 times better! XIII and Ghosts are not only the 2 best metal albums to feature an orchestra on the entire albums, but 2 of the best metal albums-ever! For those who are skeptical and think I'm full of shit, check out these 2 discs, pick your jaw up off the floor and go weep like a school girl for your lacking of knowlegde on this great underrated band! Peavey, Victor, and Mike, you guys fucking rule!

Very well said, Emerald Sword!!! Not only did they miss a legendary band, but also the greatest performance ever at a ProgPower festival (at least in my opinion).

I was one of those that left after Evergrey. I have no interest in Rage, do not like their music, and was not happy that they were chosen to close this great festival. With that said, I have every right to walk out after seeing Evergrey, who in my opinion, should have closed this thing out. And the best performance at any Prog Power was Pain of Salvation last year. They are absolutely incredible to watch and hear live. Hopefully they will return next year! For you Rage fans, I'm glad you emjpyed their show, but there was no sense for me to wait around (50 minutes by the way), for a band that I have no interest in. I didn't hear or see Mercenary either. Not my thing, and no sense trying to force it. There are too many great bands out there and no need to force those that you have no interest in.

I agree with alex of bodom's review for most part.

I stayed till I couldn't take any more of the rage guitar solo. They were really rocking up to that point and solos just bring a set to a grinding screeching halt.

I disagree about secret sphere. Now, I am more of a prog fan but I really dug their stuff. I think the singer was doing his regular routine up there but he should have noticed that the amount of girls was few and far between so it really didn't fly here at this show. They were cool guys though. I talked briefly to them at the fairfield on my way out Sunday.

To those party goers at the fairfield that hung out to the fine early morning hours, it is cool to see others active during my usual time of the day being that I am a huge night owl plus I usually work the night hours.

I was surprised at those that recognized me from the pic i put on this board. I had symphony x hat on both days with pain of salvation jersey first night and Opeth shirt the second.

It was an awesome first progpower for me.:wave::Spin:

nightwish58 said:
And the best performance at any Prog Power was Pain of Salvation last year. .

whatever, you didn't see rage. Seriously, I do not understand how a metal fan could not have liked their live set. The songs sounded way better than on the cd even. It was song after song of like very powerful, fast, true metal that seems universal. Maybe if one is only into bands with more moderns sounds they would not like it...but man it was so great.

Maybe if one is only into bands with more moderns sounds they would not like it...but man it was so great.

I think they would because the new Rage (with Terrana and Smolski) sound very modern IMO. Smolski's guitar work is just so innovative and modern. His solos are very original and he experiments with a lot of different techniques and sounds. Same with Terrana on drums. IMO Unity is very modern, and what I have heard off Soundchaser also sounds very modern. Plus the albums with orchestra were really modern and original as well...how many metal bands have recorded several albums and made full tours with full orchestras. I can only think of Rage.
They rule!!!!!!!!!!!

Well the stuff the played at the show was mostly un-orchestral. They played a lot of heavy fast type songs which have much less atmosphere than nightwish type stuff, but I love the style they played.

Yeah. I didn't mean to say that they played orchestral stuff and that is why they sounded modern at PPIV. Just threw in as example of their variety over the years. But many songs they played were from Unity, and one from Soundchaser, and those have very modern riffs and drumming IMO.

nightwish58 said:
With that said, I have every right to walk out after seeing Evergrey, who in my opinion, should have closed this thing out. And the best performance at any Prog Power was Pain of Salvation last year. They are absolutely incredible to watch and hear live. Hopefully they will return next year!

I'd agree except at the 1st ProgPowerUSA I felt was even better. And they actually were able to play an encore ;). I am hoping Glen lands them and/or Shaman next year and I gurantee I will not miss 2 festivals in a row.

Kyle

Great review, but I disagree on a few points...

I liked Secret Sphere's performance...as far as trying to get the crowd into it, it's not the easiest thing to do when you barely know any English. I give them all the credit in the world for trying. As far as the big complaints regarding the Italian/American Flag waiving, don't say a word..because NOBODY complains when Bruce Dickinson runs out waving his arms like a madman with flag(s) in hand during The Trooper.

And in my opinion, there was only ONE band in the world that could have topped the intensity and performance of Evergrey to close the show...and that's Helloween. It's not Rage's fault they stole the show. As decent as Rage was, it got a little stale after 45 minutes so I picked up my things and got some Chinese food.