Review of Diamond Head show in Kansas City

Palabra de Dios

Heavy Metal Weatherman
Mar 22, 2005
St. Joseph, MO
First I should say the venue that was picked for this show in Kansas City was cool. It was hard as hell to get to (I got lost at least twice, even using a GPS!), but it was a neat biker bar with an outdoor stage.

Diamond Head set up on the outdoor stage. There were no opening bands. They gave a little pre-drinking time after “doors” and the band took the stage around 8:30.

I didn’t hear a sound check, but the people in charge of getting the mix right are geniuses. This was one of the best sounding shows I’ve ever been to. Diamond Head led off with “Play it Loud.” Vocalist Nick Tart showed he wasn’t fucking around by hitting all the right notes and showing pretty good stage presence.

Many in the crowd (including myself) showed the highest affinity for songs from the debut (s/t or Lightning to the Nations), and the first of that album was “The Prince.” Flawless. Eddie Moohan (bass) nailed all the right hits and mixed picking/plucking/slapping all in one song. It was great.

The band also played some songs from the newest era of albums (the ones where Tart actually sings on them). They are markedly different from the “classic” material, but still were played live and the mix was good. Sometimes they lacked metal, and sometimes they sounded like modern metal (and certainly not NWOBHM), but at least they sounded good, even if they were not my taste. “Skin on Skin” and “Pray for Me” were the songs from the most recent album.

The rest of the set was from Borrowed Time and LttN. “To Heaven From Hell” was fucking fantastic. Brian Tatler’s soloing was just stunning. Not the most notes I’ve seen come from a guitar player, but melodic and engaging. Every note fit. He was perfect on just about every song.

Diamond Head ended their set in expected fashion. They rattled off four straight songs from LttN. They played the full version of Sucking My Love, and a near 10-minute version of “Helpless”. “Am I Evil?” is their iconic song and it was thunderous. Tart didn’t even have to sing the chorus. There weren’t very many people in the crowd (somewhere between 70-75) but we were all singing at the top of our lungs.

The “encore” was “Lightning to the Nations” which capped off a great fucking show. The Diamond Head guys cleaned up, changed clothes, and met with fans well after the show was over. I got everything signed (including a poster). Merch was expensive and unimpressive, but I bought a $20 shirt just to commemorate a great show (and it has dates on the back).

There were only a few criticisms of the show that didn’t affect my enjoyment (much). I would have loved to hear my favorite LttN song “Sweet & Innocent.” They’ve played it live as recently as festival spots in 2010. So Tart should know it. I don’t know why that song is so under-represented in live settings and compilation albums…it’s fucking great. Also, no songs from the album “Canterbury” was a bit disappointing as well. “Knight of the Swords” or “Ishmael” would have been a good change of pace whereas two songs from their 2007 album just didn’t do much for me. It’s not like they had those albums there to sell or something.

Those cons are minor in comparison to just how much fucking fun I had at the show. Band was tight as all hell. The mix was pro. And it was motherfucking Diamond Head. When they were on, they were on, and the thought was “this is what Heavy Metal is all about!”