OT: Chicago Powerfest Quick Review!!!!

woosta said:
[.....] And you know, Jaxx is a real killer because I've not liked any of the openers I've seen there since BRAVE opened for Virgin Steele. Even for stuff like 69 Eyes, it just wasn't happening for me.

Cool that you saw 69 Eyes at Jaxx.

The true irony, in view of your attitude toward opening bands, is that the guys in 69 Eyes are big fans of one of the bands who opened for them at Jaxx...and they didn't even know this band was opening for them until the day of the show.*

Sure hope they stuck around after their soundcheck to see 'em. :heh:

-=-=-=-
* an unassuming band from Charlottesville, VA, who are apparently bigger in Finland than they ever dreamed they were....

Bad Girl Tess said:
You have NO idea how close you were to starting a bar fight! I turned around swinging ...... hehehehe

I was REALLY worried being in the Chicago 'burbs starting a bar fight with an Astros fan. Hell, I could end up being the Mayor for that! :lol:
I wore my CUbs hat proudly all weekend, except to the show....
YOU chickened out, I didn't see any Astros jersey, at least one I would recognixe!

There was a reason for me keeping my distance when I said that! :heh:

J-Dubya

Regor said:
But at least I was THERE to determine they weren't for me.

I have a similar attitude - and I've certainly sat through my fair share of utter crap - but I know a lot of people that share Woosta's feelings, especially given the number of crap bands we've had the misfortune to be grouped with.

booB said:
I took his post exactly the way it sounded, and I think everyone else did as well. If I misconstrued Woosta's post, then I apologize, but if he doesn't want to be misinterpreted, then he should be careful how he words his opinions.

True. However, message boards are one of the greatest ways to be misconstrued ever invented. Anyway, I think we know where everyone stands here, so, moving along...

Met-Al said:
Thanks for the compliment, Eaeolian!

You were completely cracking me up with that. :lol:

Met-Al said:
Twelfth Gate--Quite possibly the biggest musical disappointment I will have this year. I was expecting the kick-ass progressive metal band I've enjoyed in concert for three years. What I got was some mallcore bullshit. Forget how bad the new vocalist was. The songs were completely rearranged. I think I heard one guitar solo through the whole set. What's up with that? Boo-urns, Rob.

I have to agree that it's very, very different. I personally haven't decided if I like the change.

Woosta.

I play in a band. I bust my ass for my band. I give everything I have at every show. I come off that stage each time drained and exhausted. I do everything in my power to put on a show for anyone in attendance, whether it was 150 people for Dimebag's memorial, or for 13 people as the last band of the night for a shitty screwed up Halloween party gone wrong. And never do I complain about being exhausted for nothing. Never do I say that the show wasn't worth it, even if it wasn't. Because every time we play, someone tells us they loved the show and they were glad to see it.

But then you come along and say you won't even BOTHER to see opening bands anymore just cuz you don't feel like it? That's a fuckin insult, my high-nosed friend. I've seen plenty of great bands open the night with no audience cuz people just don't wanna show up, and I've seen them close the night with no audience because nobody wanted to stick around to see if they might be any good. And your attitude towards the "little people" in this business is just a small part of what makes it hard for damned good bands to make it anywhere these days.

So you can stay at home if you want. I won't ask you to come check out a band for any reason. I don't need fans who need to be coaxed into coming to see one of my shows. I'm not gonna suck up and sell out just to get tickets sold or fans in seats. And I'm not gonna convince you that your ideology is wrong. I can see that's impossible. You live your life the way you want to. You're the one missing out on opportunities. Not me.

AMBR said:
Meeting new friends Karma and Erika, you girls rock! :headbang:
Hanging with old friends Steph, Linda, Britt, Heather, Cristen and so many more. Can't wait to see you all again at Progpower!:kickass:

:worship: :headbang: It was AWESOME meeting you as well Ambr!! We need to do this again soon! Gotta say, it's always a beautiful thing to meet awesome Industrites. :)

Have an awesome day...BTW I don't know if I have said this to you yet, but I dig what you do with Beyond Ear Candy!! Keep up the amazing work!!
:kickass: /Karma

Division folks. I just listened to you on myspace. I enjoyed it a lot. I hope you get a chance to play in Atlanta.

eaeolian said:
Thanks - glad you enjoyed it. I think we need to sell a LOT more CDs before we get to PP, though. :lol:

You can play here for reasons other than ProgPower :)

eaeolian said:
I have a similar attitude - and I've certainly sat through my fair share of utter crap - but I know a lot of people that share Woosta's feelings, especially given the number of crap bands we've had the misfortune to be grouped with.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I think the thing about this issue is different for people who are in bands who 'are' those opening bands, because 'we' would like to have people to play for. And when people would rather not show up until the last band, that hurts us on some level. It feels as though he's not even giving us a chance. Not every great band will get the opportunity to get a record contract and make it big across the globe. That doesn't mean they suck necessarily. So I think that's why Bryan's so upset at his comments.

Anyways, let's all let it go now, as we've all stated our cases. (this means you too Bryan)

Met-Al said:
Nocturnal Rites--To top it off, the backing vocals were real! Most power metal bands use that pre-recorded bullshit on stage. Not these guys. Every harmony sounded awesome. Glenn, please see my statement about Agent Steel and add this band to it as well.

I had forgotten that, but when they were playing, I remember thinking, "Damn. The guys doing backing vocals can actually sing pretty damn well." I too was impressed with the harmonies.

Karma In Black said:
:worship: :headbang: It was AWESOME meeting you as well Ambr!! We need to do this again soon! Gotta say, it's always a beautiful thing to meet awesome Industrites. :)

Have an awesome day...BTW I don't know if I have said this to you yet, but I dig what you do with Beyond Ear Candy!! Keep up the amazing work!!
:kickass: /Karma
It truly is a beautiful thing meeting new friends with like minds. Hope we do get together soon. Thanks for the compliments on BEC. Spreading the word on great bands and music is what it's all about. Always nice to hear a little appreciation.:headbang:
My group shots with you guys came out great.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b298/beyondearcandy/Mixed%20Album/06girls.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b298/beyondearcandy/Mixed%20Album/06group.jpg
Should have the 3-400 bands photos up soon. :Smokin:

Steel Attack - Omega Conspiracy is a solid album. Its a mix of power and thrash. Wish I could have seen them. Their music definitely has a lot of energy.

Was the lead singer able to hit his really high notes as cleanly as he does on the albums?