OT: Chicago Powerfest Quick Review!!!!

eaeolian said:
Hmm. I guess you'll be skipping us, then. :lol:

You know what? I'll be happy to check you out online for sure. It's not that I'm trying to be an asshole here about openers because I DO understand that's how things work. I've been at the whole metal thing for years now and I"ve sat through many of up-and-comers happily. I don't know what it is, if it's my age or that everything is a minimum 3 hour drive before the show or just bad luck lately or what, but I just can't do it like I used to because the melody of the songs isn't coming through. And you know, Jaxx is a real killer because I've not liked any of the openers I've seen there since BRAVE opened for Virgin Steele. Even for stuff like 69 Eyes, it just wasn't happening for me. It's really as frustrating to me as it is for you to hear that people aren't showing up for whatever reason. And I don't want it to be that way, but in reality, I'm paying for the headliner (or second on the bill) and that's what I need to get the enjoyment from.

I promise I'll check you out online though and if you guys click with me, then I'll be there as soon as you hit the stage. :headbang:

woosta said:
You know what? I'll be happy to check you out online for sure. It's not that I'm trying to be an asshole here about openers because I DO understand that's how things work. I've been at the whole metal thing for years now and I"ve sat through many of up-and-comers happily. I don't know what it is, if it's my age or that everything is a minimum 3 hour drive before the show or just bad luck lately or what, but I just can't do it like I used to because the melody of the songs isn't coming through. And you know, Jaxx is a real killer because I've not liked any of the openers I've seen there since BRAVE opened for Virgin Steele. Even for stuff like 69 Eyes, it just wasn't happening for me. It's really as frustrating to me as it is for you to hear that people aren't showing up for whatever reason. And I don't want it to be that way, but in reality, I'm paying for the headliner (or second on the bill) and that's what I need to get the enjoyment from.

I promise I'll check you out online though and if you guys click with me, then I'll be there as soon as you hit the stage. :headbang:

Hmm. Well, if you didn't like anyone but Brave on the Virgin Steele show, you won't like us, since we played right after them. :lol:

If you like it, great - if not, so be it. I can relate with opening bands, but they don't ALL suck. ;)

Bryan316 said:
Rick Pierpont is precisely right. And b00b is exactly right. If opening bands should be snubbed, then Miles Beyond never woulda blown me away with their performance opening for Iced Earth. And I' be missing one of Michigan's best bands. Guess what, woosta? They're playing in fucking GERMANY! Yeah! You heard me! They're playing for fucking GAMMA RAY in Minnesota! You have no fuckin clue how proud I'd be if I were these guys! I'd feel embarrassed to not have discovered them!

To have you say that you'd snub all the opening bands is beyond disrespectful. It's one thing to say "I'll avoid seeing band X cuz I already know I don't like them" but to avoid ANY band just cuz you're a snobby stuck up little bitch? Not even take a chance to be pleasantly suprised? Fuck you. Fuck you and your elitism. I had no idea who Grace Point were, and quickly hunted them down to get just a demo disc from them after the show! They were a great suprise and quite entertaining! I felt rewarded going to this festival, only really knowing two bands and coming home with four more bands that I now like is a damn good feeling.

Don't worry, Mike and Rick... you don't want fans like him anyways.

Hey man, calm your ass down. When did I say they SHOULD be snubbed? Can anyone on this fucking board read? No band should be snubbed, I'm just saying that I chose to not show up until the headliners. Is that good? No, and I know it. But I spent $110 on tickets, $118 on rooms, $150 on gas, $100 on food, plus throw in $85 for my day off to travel on Friday and that's not even the "fun stuff". I need to recoup my money through being able to enjoy the bands I'm paying to see and if I'm showing up for bands, and last year was a definite challenge to sit through by the time the headliners got on, that aren't working for me, then my experience is lessened and the money is still gone. What sense is that? Now granted, this year's bands are a whole new set but the bottom line is that past practice dictates my ideas (as well as BIOMECHANICAL and AGENT STEEL on Friday). That says, see who you paid to see.

Understand, everyone on this board is paying for their own thing. You pay to go have a beer and talk to people. I could just as easily say that you are disrespecting bands by getting liquored up and not enjoying them in their purity. That is asenine because it's YOUR money and you do it how you want to. But all of a sudden, I've got these assworms crawling out of the woodwork talking shit about this and that in the way that I approach a show. Personally, I don't care if you pay your money and you take a big heaping shit on the stage after the show. Leave me to do my thing without hitting the keys like some internet enforcer defending his girl. You dont' like how I handle a show? buy my fucking ticket. :err:

eaeolian said:
Hmm. Well, if you didn't like anyone but Brave on the Virgin Steele show, you won't like us, since we played right after them. :lol:

If you like it, great - if not, so be it. I can relate with opening bands, but they don't ALL suck. ;)

Never said they did. I liked Brave, I liked Lilitu in Cleveland among others. And I'll still check out your stuff now. Some of these other guys should be relieved their not working the scene because the way they piss and moan and they've not even opened a can of tuna, they'd never bring a new fan in.

woosta said:
Never said they did. I liked Brave, I liked Lilitu in Cleveland among others. And I'll still check out your stuff now.

Cool. :headbang:

Don't be too hard on these guys - I think they took your dismissal of openers a little too seriously, and they're just defending their point of view. Messageboards are great places for confusion in communication, which is what I think has happened a bit here.

On the flip side, I'm sure openers everywhere (including us) like the fact that so many other bands will leap to their defense...

I disagree with the tone of woosta's review, however...
1) He has the right to skip whatever bands he wants to for whatever reason he wants to.
2) He should be able to post his opinion here without being attacked on a personal level for his opinion.
3) Crowd reaction never "proved" anyone wrong. Crowds go wild at Backstreet concerts. They still suck!
4) I will give an opening band a chance to suck, UNLESS I already know that IMO they suck.
5) Division doesn't suck... IMO.

woosta said:
Hey man, calm your ass down. When did I say they SHOULD be snubbed? Can anyone on this fucking board read? No band should be snubbed, I'm just saying that I chose to not show up until the headliners. Is that good? No, and I know it. But I spent $110 on tickets, $118 on rooms, $150 on gas, $100 on food, plus throw in $85 for my day off to travel on Friday and that's not even the "fun stuff". I need to recoup my money through being able to enjoy the bands I'm paying to see and if I'm showing up for bands, and last year was a definite challenge to sit through by the time the headliners got on, that aren't working for me, then my experience is lessened and the money is still gone. What sense is that? Now granted, this year's bands are a whole new set but the bottom line is that past practice dictates my ideas (as well as BIOMECHANICAL and AGENT STEEL on Friday). That says, see who you paid to see.

Understand, everyone on this board is paying for their own thing. You pay to go have a beer and talk to people. I could just as easily say that you are disrespecting bands by getting liquored up and not enjoying them in their purity. That is asenine because it's YOUR money and you do it how you want to. But all of a sudden, I've got these assworms crawling out of the woodwork talking shit about this and that in the way that I approach a show. Personally, I don't care if you pay your money and you take a big heaping shit on the stage after the show. Leave me to do my thing without hitting the keys like some internet enforcer defending his girl. You dont' like how I handle a show? buy my fucking ticket. :err:

The highlighted sentence alone is completely unredeeming of yourself, and I'll give you none of my fuckin respect for it. Your experience is lessened? Lessened by the opportunity to see some new bands that just might be worthwhile?

I'm sorry you're so high and fuckin mighty when it comes to your precious time and the money you spend during it. You've already paid for the ticket, you're not losing anything by coming early to the show. You're still gonna get to see who you came for. But to be so stuck up and say that you are too good for the opening bands? They're not worthy, by default, of your time and attention? Even though you most likely have no idea who they are and what they sound like? And you won't even take the chance?

To hell with you. Nothing you can say or do will redeem your worth to me. You are fucking rude and stuck up and should be snubbed in general, just for your generalizations about smaller bands who haven't made it yet. Don't you DARE tell me to calm my ass down, either, fuck-o. Your whole attitude is "snub the band I don't even know about yet." There's your fuckin snub, you pompous fuck. Stay at home instead, you old fucking geezer. If you can't find a seat and sit around through a fuckin show, you're worthless as a fan. You won't hear me bitching about my back after 7 hours of standing around, you fuckin pussy!

I don't like the way you handle your shows. I won't buy your fuckin ticket. Fuck you. Wait, lemme rephrase that... FUCK YOU.

Hey, dick, you put words in my mouth about being high and mighty, and I'll tell you exactly what you can do and when you can do it. Believe it or not, I am allowed to have an opinion whether you like it or not. Fucking deal.

Highlight where I said "I'm too good for the opening bands". Show me. Show me where I said they're not worthy. You show me that and I'll apologize right here and right fucking now. Copy and paste it.

Rick Pierpont said:
I'm SO glad that not everyone shares your sentiment. The music scene would completely die here. :mad:

I seriously do understand part of your reasoning because many clubs do throw bands that don't belong onto shows that they should be playing. But to consciously avoid seeing any opening bands who, believe it or not, are the LIFEBLOOD of many of these shows, is not only rude, it is very damaging to the scene.

Whether you like Odin's Court or Divison or not, we work EXTREMELY hard to keep the scene thriving in our region (MD/VA/DC/PA). Both bands put on professional shows, that depending on your preferred style, you may like or you may not, but at least I know there are solid performances coming out of us. I would be mighty surprised if you didn't enjoy one of our shows.

One thing that may help is preparing for the show. Not quite like we do for PP, but check out websites, listen to a few songs, even DL and burn them to see if anything clicks. Check out a song or two live and see if they are any better live (low budgets can kiil a smaller band's CD). At least you can get away from bad openers at Jaxx ;)

I also know that I've ended up LOVING bands that I didn't even think I'd be interested in at ProgPower. I'm so glad I stayed for their set. There have been a few that chased me out of the room, but mostly because I didn't like the style, not the musicianship.

Hey, did you see my later post to kind of "clear up" this idea? I'm happy to check out the website for sure. If you're on the east coast, then I hope you can really see that a place like Crocodile Rocks or Jaxx can really put the fans through a lot. You know, it's not like we just get a band or 2 opening anymore. It's more like "doors at 6, 7 openers and then the headliner". And it's not that the bands are openers or at that level, it's more like there are a bunch of "friends of friends" who are owed a stage slot for something and they've obviously only been jamming for a month. I saw this band open for Soul Sirkus in Allentown and it was a couple of girls and some friends and they had no relation at all to Soul Sirkus, Jeff Scott Soto, Journey or rock music. I had to wonder.

That being said, I know this fest wasn't going to be that, but I found BIOMECHANICAL so draining that I just couldn't even enjoy Eldritch. With that in mind, seeing Nocturnal Rites was REALLY a big deal for me so I just decided to see Chicago more and then the headliners. I don't often make the drive so I decided out of some bands in favor of other activities. NOT because I don't respect them, and NOT because I was feeling superior. It WAS (and these are MY words now and some other hack's) just because I wanted to experience the city and the headliners that I paid to see at full steam. It worked for me. I had a great time and my apologies go to any bands I missed this time. I'm sure I'll catch you again in the future! :headbang:

Bryan316 said:
The highlighted sentence alone is completely unredeeming of yourself, and I'll give you none of my fuckin respect for it. Your experience is lessened? Lessened by the opportunity to see some new bands that just might be worthwhile?

I'm sorry you're so high and fuckin mighty when it comes to your precious time and the money you spend during it. You've already paid for the ticket, you're not losing anything by coming early to the show. You're still gonna get to see who you came for. But to be so stuck up and say that you are too good for the opening bands? They're not worthy, by default, of your time and attention? Even though you most likely have no idea who they are and what they sound like? And you won't even take the chance?

To hell with you. Nothing you can say or do will redeem your worth to me. You are fucking rude and stuck up and should be snubbed in general, just for your generalizations about smaller bands who haven't made it yet. Don't you DARE tell me to calm my ass down, either, fuck-o. Your whole attitude is "snub the band I don't even know about yet." There's your fuckin snub, you pompous fuck. Stay at home instead, you old fucking geezer. If you can't find a seat and sit around through a fuckin show, you're worthless as a fan. You won't hear me bitching about my back after 7 hours of standing around, you fuckin pussy!

I don't like the way you handle your shows. I won't buy your fuckin ticket. Fuck you. Wait, lemme rephrase that... FUCK YOU.

And finally, since you can't find what you're crediting me with saying, let me give you some advice from a shitheel like myself who spent his money the way he wanted to this time;

If Justdefy IS the band you're in, you ought to look at the posts from the 2 other guys in this thread who have announced themselves as being in bands. They were reasonable and diplomatic. They didn't put words into anyone's mouth about anything. They simply said "hey, chris, you're wrong. come check us out". To that, I will ALWAYS agree. That is how you get people to listen to you and you could learn from them.

Now you, on the other hand, have verbally assaulted me, berated me, and attached ideas to me that I never once said. You've been an ass about this whole scenario you've created and not that my not supporting you means shit, but I'm sure you're not just like this with me. I'll assume that you've done this with others and it's cost your band perhaps (I don't know, I'm just guessing now) a fan or 2. Grow up and conduct yourself like an adult and accept the fact that people do what they'll do at shows and you have no say in it. Encourage them to come out and see you or any other openers. Understand that fans are sitting through a bunch of stuff that maybe, just maybe, they don't want to see and respect the fact that it can be challenging and then take that idea and apply it to your act so you're not one of "those bands" who people have to tolerate. Don't spout off like an ass with typhoid because EVERYONE is a prospective fan, a lot of it is how you deal with them.

I'll be sure to get there early for Gamma Ray in DC just because I know one guy in the band is cool. :kickass:

Personally, I went to Powerfest to see 2 bands. However, I paid for a full price ticket, so therefore I want a full-price entertainment value. Which means, IMO, that I get to see every band on the bill. If the openers aren't to my liking, I'll go get a beer, take a piss, buy merch, etc. But I'm not going to just miss all the bands I don't know because all I wanna see is the bands I do know. That's just retarded. Because you'll never know if you missed something worth seeing.

woosta, honestly, is seeing a crappy band THAT discouraging that you'd miss the opportunity to find a new band that you would like? I mean, you're not even giving them a chance. How'd you like that if you were in a band and had no audience because people wouldn't give you a chance? If there was no internet, you couldn't listen to MP3s of a band on their MySpace account for free. But you could see that band playing before the band you 'paid' to see, and that'd be 'free' if you wanna look at it like you're paying for the headliner only. So it's no different.

I'll sit through 100 crappy bands if I find one good one amongst them (which is what I found this weekend in Gracepoint, Mirror Black, and Ion Vein). Hell, the 'headliners' didn't do anything for me. But just because they're headliners doesn't mean they're better than the opening bands. Just means they have a bigger fan base. I left seeing In Flames after seeing Trivium, cuz In Flames sucked compared to Trivium (IMO). I left Eldritch because they weren't as good as Biomechanical (IMO).

But at least I was THERE to determine they weren't for me.

Regor said:
But at least I was THERE to determine they weren't for me.

Which you have the right to be... or not be... without being ridiculed for your choice.

I wish this thread would get back on topic before Glenn has to lock it to stop the bickering.:rolleyes:

eaeolian said:
I think they took your dismissal of openers a little too seriously, and they're just defending their point of view.

I took his post exactly the way it sounded, and I think everyone else did as well. If I misconstrued Woosta's post, then I apologize, but if he doesn't want to be misinterpreted, then he should be careful how he words his opinions.

booB said:
I took his post exactly the way it sounded, and I think everyone else did as well. If I misconstrued Woosta's post, then I apologize, but if he doesn't want to be misinterpreted, then he should be careful how he words his opinions.
Are we done with this now? :Smug:

woosta said:

That's cool. And basically, that's exactly what I was alluding to. Dude, I do realize that many clubs, and yes, even Jaxx, do match openers poorly. Sometimes, its not even a matter of whether they truly suck (I've seen plenty of that too), but in reality, is just a poor job of putting the show together. Some club owners don't get that and continue to mismatch. As far as Jaxx is concerned:
1) Damn dude, its been a long time since you've been there, hasn't it?
2) I think they have improved in their opening band matching. I know that Jay is concerned with this very thing, but a big part of his challenge is lack of bands playing music in our genre in the region. At least, ones that wil work, promote, bring fans, won't drive others away!
3) Thank God for the other room in certain cases. You can check out the band, if they are driving you crazy, jump over to the other side, chill, socialize, etc...

As far as checking out Division, you should. Despite what Mike said about the Virgin Steele show, they are not the same band anymore. In fact, it may be something like 80% is new since that show and they put on a great energetic show. I know that we in Odin's Court love working with these guys because they are fun and professional. And God knows, we do enough shows together! :lol: Hell, I've been playing shows together with these guys since I was in my old band with none other than their current bassist, Ron!

I don't know if you've ever seen us before, but there have also been many changes in OC (for the better) and we are always striving to improve. I'd hope that one day, you'd also give us a chance too! And its beyond looking for new fans... Its really more about the point of what this thread has become (besides the useless flame war part) and that is there are some diamonds in the rough and my hope is that everyone give the local openers their support and a chance to show what they're made of!

And also, whatever city everyone is in, if you are going to a show, try to find out who the local openers are, find one that matches your tastes the most and support local music by getting your tickets from them. First, you save money by avoiding ticket house's fees, but second and most important, you help suport the local scene because most of these clubs EXPECT the local openers to promote and sell tickets AHEAD of time. We don't like it, its just the rules we play by. Even if our best friends come to the club and buy tickets at the door it doesn't help in our standing with the club. I still do that if it is a show I'm not playing at and want to see it.

Sorry to go off on that tangent, I just thought it was related to the local band support part and wanted to clear that up since I think so many people don't realize how important it is to us as the lowly opening bands! ;)

woosta said:
Hey, did you see my later post to kind of "clear up" this idea? I'm happy to check out the website for sure. If you're on the east coast, then I hope you can really see that a place like Crocodile Rocks or Jaxx can really put the fans through a lot. You know, it's not like we just get a band or 2 opening anymore. It's more like "doors at 6, 7 openers and then the headliner". And it's not that the bands are openers or at that level, it's more like there are a bunch of "friends of friends" who are owed a stage slot for something and they've obviously only been jamming for a month. I saw this band open for Soul Sirkus in Allentown and it was a couple of girls and some friends and they had no relation at all to Soul Sirkus, Jeff Scott Soto, Journey or rock music. I had to wonder.

That being said, I know this fest wasn't going to be that, but I found BIOMECHANICAL so draining that I just couldn't even enjoy Eldritch. With that in mind, seeing Nocturnal Rites was REALLY a big deal for me so I just decided to see Chicago more and then the headliners. I don't often make the drive so I decided out of some bands in favor of other activities. NOT because I don't respect them, and NOT because I was feeling superior. It WAS (and these are MY words now and some other hack's) just because I wanted to experience the city and the headliners that I paid to see at full steam. It worked for me. I had a great time and my apologies go to any bands I missed this time. I'm sure I'll catch you again in the future! :headbang:
Yes, and as I just mentioned in my previous post, I absolutely agree that clubs can be ridiculous with that at times. I live in PA, near Baltimore, MD so yes, I definitely live in the east coast :lol: I'm about 1:45 from Jaxx and about 2 hours from Allentown. Oddly enough, I've been to Jaxx MANY times, but I have not YET been to the Croc Rock. I've passed through town on my way to NY to see shows (couple of times for Symphony X).

Honestly, I don't agree with puttin that many openers for ANY show. It is draining for all -- including the bands, And I relaly don't think it adds that many people to the attendance. The Thunderdome in Baltimore was really notorious for this issue and it used to frustrate me to have my old band mis-matched so many times. Not good for building a scene. That's really sad about the Soul Sirkus show. And I had no idea, I might've tried to make that one! Its still my sincere hope that clubs stop doing this so that the decent openers get a chance to be heard and not lumped in with the "sucky" ones. ;)

Not really familiar with Biomechanical (yes, for real) so I can't comment. But everyone's taste is their own and everyone's idea of a good time differs as well. I think its just the thing that concerned me and riled so many others up is the perception of the generalization that openers are bad and are a waste of time. I think we've cleared the air on that now. Its amazing how poor the written form can be at getting one's point across without pissing someone off at times! Definiltey a danger of forums such as this.

Thanks for the compliment, Eaeolian!

I don't know what possessed me to wear that damn crown all night on Saturday. It was damn near impossible to keep it on while headbanging to Nocturnal Rites. Ken, I hope you know that you may have ignited a fire within me. That crown may very well appear again. Anyway, for those who care to know my thoughts (that makes none of you, but I could give two shits. I have nothing better to do at midnight, anyway), here they are:

Withering Soul--Why?

Gracepoint--Musically, a pretty interesting band. The vocal style is not to my liking, however. The sound wasn't all that great for them.

Agent Steel--These guys stole the show for me up until Nocturnal Rites hit the stage. I waited seven years to see them in concert, and they met all expectations. The songs were heavy as hell, the vocals were spot on, the guitars were ripping, and the energy was ever-present. Truly an underrated band. Glenn, how can you say that it's getting harder to book bands for your show when you've never had these guys?

Biomechanical--They don't sound quite like any other band out there, and I give them credit for that. Other than that, I couldn't be more bored. John K. is obviously more comfortable doing the wailing high vocals than he is doing the growly stuff. He was very one-dimensional. Their set seemed to go on forever.

Eldritch--Time to go home. I've only heard their newer stuff, and I'm not impressed. They have the potential to be a good progressive metal band, but they ruin it by adding those bounce metal elements into their sound. The little bit I heard before I left sounded very tight, though.

Mirror Black--Musically and vocally a very talented band. I never cared for the track I heard on the ProgPower sampler, but their set changed my view of them. Unfortunately, I couldn't get past all of the doom-and-gloom, "there is no god" lyrics. Damn, I'm picky.

Twelfth Gate--Quite possibly the biggest musical disappointment I will have this year. I was expecting the kick-ass progressive metal band I've enjoyed in concert for three years. What I got was some mallcore bullshit. Forget how bad the new vocalist was. The songs were completely rearranged. I think I heard one guitar solo through the whole set. What's up with that? Boo-urns, Rob.

Ion Vein--As usual, a very strong performance. The addition of Andy Paredes is always a nice touch. However, I'm hurt by the fact that these guys are trying to forget their past. They can say whatever they want about not wanting to be pigeonholed as a Queensryche clone. If you ask me, "Beyond Tomorrow" and "Reigning Memories" are two very exceptional progressive metal albums. Their new material is good, but I know they're capable of something better.

Nocturnal Rites--The king was pleased. In fact, they exceeded the king's expectations. That hour reminded me of why I love heavy metal. It's all about those rare moments when you feel like you connect with a band. Johnny Lindqvist makes me want to give up singing. I told him that after the show. I don't know how he does it. Also, I always thought that Nils Norberg was a good guitarist, but I didn't realize just how friggin' wicked he was until seeing him on stage. To top it off, the backing vocals were real! Most power metal bands use that pre-recorded bullshit on stage. Not these guys. Every harmony sounded awesome. Glenn, please see my statement about Agent Steel and add this band to it as well.

Morgana Lefay--No, thanks. Besides, how dare you even try to go on after Nocturnal Rites? You need to have something truly special to top them. Midgets would be a good start, but even that wouldn't save Morgana Lefay.

That's all from me. I must obtain another Angus burger!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Al! I knew I recognized you and your woman from somewhere... it turns out that I met both of you last year at ProgPower... sorry I never said hello this weekend, but I couldn't remember who you were. :lol:

woosta said:
I found BIOMECHANICAL so draining that I just couldn't even enjoy Eldritch. With that in mind, seeing Nocturnal Rites was REALLY a big deal for me so I just decided to see Chicago more and then the headliners. I don't often make the drive so I decided out of some bands in favor of other activities. NOT because I don't respect them, and NOT because I was feeling superior. It WAS (and these are MY words now and some other hack's) just because I wanted to experience the city and the headliners that I paid to see at full steam. It worked for me. I had a great time and my apologies go to any bands I missed this time. I'm sure I'll catch you again in the future! :headbang:

I really don't see what the big deal is here. Woosta already PAID his money. That gives him the right to see or not see as many bands as he wants. If he wants to sightsee and just catch the headliners, that's entirely up to him. If by doing so, he ends up missing a band he might have liked - that's his loss.

He's also entitled to his opinion. I've never heard any of Biomechanical's music before (and I had to miss PowerFest this year) so I don't have an opinion on them, but what he said about them was one of the funniest things I've ever read on this board! I don't see why Woosta is getting so much shit when people like Ascension make negative comments all the time.

Personally, at a show like Prog Power, BW&BK or PowerFest I prefer to show up early and see all the bands. If I don't like one, I shop at the vendors or meet and chat with other fans. But at many shows locally, I tend to skip many of the openers because most tend to be follow-the-trend, MTV/Hot Topic nu-metal or one of a billion Pantera wannabees. If I hear something good about a band from someone else, then I'll check them out.