Progpower IX prediction

rjrousseau

Mar 16, 2005
South Carolina
I had a moment of clarity the other day as I was wringing my hands from missing my chance to pick up tickets to Jon's Wednesday night set. As I recall in Glenn's "how it happened thread", he was debating on how to fill either the 3rd or 4th slot. He had made a comment that only a few of us questioned him on. To paraphrase, Jon Oliva's Pain was one consideration but then it would break the two year rule. That never did sit right with me and I never figured out what he meant.

So this is what I think happened. He has been working on something with Jon (Pain? Savatage?) since last fall for Progpower IX. During these negotiations the Wednesday night show idea was born as well. So I predict Jon will be back in some form or another for Progpower IX as a headliner. And with Zak coming as well that just adds fuel to the fire for a possible Savatage reunion.

I could be way off but the idea sounds great to me. :headbang:

Nightwish
Rage
Symphony X
Evergrey
Circle II Circle
Vanden Plas
Secret Sphere
Mercenary
Pagan's Mind
Redemption

meh, somebody had to do it

I'll throw my hat in the ring regarding Iced Earth, but I don't have any other guesses after this year's amazing show. I mean, jeez - how could he top this? I know he will, but how?! :loco:

I'm currently in the process of working out a plan to trick Daniel Gildenlow into coming to America, at which point he will have no other choice but to get the rest of the guys over here and headline the show.

Its gonna be fantastic! :kickass:

I think Glenn will throw a blockbuster: Rhapsody and Savatage as the headliners. This will sell out so fast, Glenn won't have time to announce when tix will be available

I'll be shocked if Iced Earth ever headlines PP. Prior to the release of the "Glorious Burden", Glenn commented that their price was too high. One would expect, their price will only go up. Plus, I don't see Jon having much desire to do a one off in the U.S. And when you consider Iced Earth plans to kick off a world tour in the U.S. in January, it doesn't seem like the timing is a great fit.

Zod

I'm currently in the process of working out a plan to trick Daniel Gildenlow into coming to America, at which point he will have no other choice but to get the rest of the guys over here and headline the show.

Its gonna be fantastic! :kickass:

I hope he gets a THOROUGH (emphasys on rough!) cavity search at the airport. One that makes him whimper, & snivel!
:Smokedev:

I'll be shocked if Iced Earth ever headlines PP. Prior to the release of the "Glorious Burden", Glenn commented that their price was too high. One would expect, their price will only go up. Plus, I don't see Jon having much desire to do a one off in the U.S. And when you consider Iced Earth plans to kick off a world tour in the U.S. in January, it doesn't seem like the timing is a great fit.

Zod

Concur.

Jon has already been a guest at PPUSA. Smart money said Iced Earth would be a shoo-in for PP the following year, and it didn't happen. I can only assume that their guarantee is wayyyy (and unreasonably) high.

As for real predictions.....I haven't got a clue. I'd have speculated Therion would be in the mix, since they got a great reception and put on a stellar performance and the 2-year rule has been met, but they'll be touring over here anyway in November. Similar story for Nightwish.

what i would personally enjoy to happen but not my actual prediction:

falconer NEEDS to happen

a return of blind guardian and symphony x would be astounding

and for a #1 slot band/curveball, a band called estradasphere (saw em live, one of the best shows ever)

i dont see rhapsody happening... (although that would be amazing)

I'd be surprised if Glenn doesn't have his sites squarely set on Pyramaze. Given the uniqueness of their situation (only planning to do festival shows), bringing them in would bring that special element that Glenn is so fond of. And from a business perspective, Barlow himself can nearly pack the place with the Iced Earth faithful.

I'd agree with the Nightwish predictions. They see like a good bet for the next edition of ProgPower.

Zod