ProgPower USA IX picture thread

esa

May 8, 2003
esa.ahola.net
Here's the usual and customary thread for pictures and links to galleries. I'll start with EBS/Midnight/C2C and Manticora.

pp9wedthumbnail1.jpg
pp9wedthumbnail2.jpg
pp9wedthumbnail3.jpg

pp9wedthumbnail4.jpg
pp9wedthumbnail5.jpg
pp9wedthumbnail6.jpg

pp9wedthumbnail7.jpg
pp9wedthumbnail8.jpg
pp9wedthumbnail9.jpg

pp9wedthumbnailmanticora3.jpg
pp9wedthumbnailmanticora2.jpg
pp9wedthumbnailmanticora1.jpg

That bottom one in the middle of Manticora is freaking awesome. Can't wait to see the rest so I can put a new background on my computer.

I'm moving mine from my Flash Cards to my computer now, I will have my Elvenking Set online ASAP for everyone's pleasure, at the bands request.

FYI, for those interested (as I am an extreme amature and first time Concert Shooter w/ DSLR) I used a Canon Rebel XTi, shooting @ 1/125 TV, and AV 1.8/f @ 1600 ISO using a set 50mm no-zoom Canon Lens. The Lens is fucking AMAZING. Elvenking got to see the shots from the camera and loved them. Said I took good pictures. I told them, and I firmly believe, that all we do as photographers is point and shoot. The bands themselves create the moments. We're just lucky enough to capture them. I hope everyone enjoys my shots when I get them posted, and ESA, those are wonderful!

Here's a teaser of Piet from Iron Savior.

shooting @ 1/125 TV, and AV 1.8/f @ 1600 ISO using a set 50mm no-zoom Canon Lens. The Lens is fucking AMAZING.

Great shot, and good job on lens selection -- it's good, fast, and the bang for the buck is phenomenal.

Some of these questions and topics have come up before in this thread -- those of you wanting to dive deep into the technical side of things, I suggest posting any and all shooting questions there.

Back to the digital darkroom, back in a bit.

I have a ton of them, Jenn. I will get them posted right after I finish my Elvenking Set, and I will be emailing the band as well to let them know they are welcome to use them in any way they want. Someone mentioned that there was absolutely NO pictures of them anywhere in the internet. Was that you?

if anyone got shots of Pathosray, I'm VERY interested in them....

As always, Mary took tons of pictures of every band. When these might be available for viewing is, as always, a mystery, as she works an insane amount of hours, and is involved in a Europe project again. So it might be awhile.

I swear every year that I'll get all of our PP photos up on the web (every show since 4, and I think I still might have some pics from fhe first one buried on some random hard drive here). I really want to get this done this winter. We shall see...

dt

Out of curiousity, what kind of equipment (camera, lenses) do you use? I've wondered how people can get such awesome shots like those!

I shot PP9 with two Canon 40D bodies with battery grips (for vertical shooting ergonomics, not battery life) and three lenses: In the pit, 50mm/f1.2 L USM and 24mm/f1.4 L USM; and in my "office" platform above the backstage staircase I swapped the 50mm for the 85mm/f1.8 USM. I brought my 17-55mm/f2.8 IS USM zoom, but never used it. Most common exposure was 1/160s f2.0, ISO 1000-1600 (mostly 1600.)

The 40D is a short-lived and ill-fated model in the Canon lineup, thanks to Nikon's massive resurgence. If you are in shopping mode right now, do NOT buy the 40D: hold out for the 50D or look into Nikon's highly competitive offerings.

More about the equipment, post-processing, and "shooting skills" angles here.

if anyone got shots of Pathosray, I'm VERY interested in them....

With all the photographers around this weekend, I guarantee there won't be ANY shortage of coverage of each and every band.