ProgPower USA XII Picture Thread

6183853711_634bbb04ef_o.jpg

Favorite. Love the composition and the lighting here. Great angle and DoF on the shot, and the neck leading into the horizon/center is a magnificent leading line.

/photonerd

Now we're talking. I love the shot focusing on the video camera that's on Stephan - that's clever, making use of a prop that was often in the way.

I have seen lots of live photos over the years from many forums that were nice and clear but boring simply because there was no composition involved - a good frame can make the best even out a slightly blurry picture. It's really hard to catch the right moment when people are constantly in motion, but sometimes you get lucky. Or you can be Allen and just be good. :)

(and I can tell you from having been there they didn't "sneak" into the corset shoot - the ladies invited them, and they obliged! heh.)

A band definitely worth the wait. Such cool guys all weekend long as well - they even snuck into the corset shoot ;-).

6183852635_cc8a4226e7_o.jpg

-A
Beautiful shots, Allen! This one is my favorite. Great composition within the kit. I know all those elements can throw off the focus with a moving drummer. Just enough hand blur to show motion and his expression is wonderful. I envy your freedom of position. ;) Had a bear of a time getting high enough to catch the guys on the throne this year. Maybe I'm shrinking.

VP was far and away my favorite band this year. Not only was their sets fabulous, they were just some of the nicest people.

It's really hard to catch the right moment when people are constantly in motion, but sometimes you get lucky. Or you can be Allen and just be good. :)
I use the continuous shoot function on the camera to get sets of approximately five shots to hopefully "get lucky" and get just that perfect expression, motion etc. But you have to be able to compose the overall frame first. It sure can be tricky in concert shooting. Hats off to Allen.

Always evolving...I hope. Sometimes dealing with whatever limits show up in front of you.

Definitely... but I've seen it in a lot of your other shots too. Your style is definitely different than your first PP shoot, which I think is awesome. There's a lot of different compositions and techniques in (I assume) post. I like how it's not the same style all the time, and it's fitting the moods of the bands.

Photos found on Google+ by Daniel Jones.. a lot of really good ones of Therion.

(yes, we're on Google+ now too)

~Jen

Would you say that was the most challenging band of the weekend?

Technically no. The production was grand and the theatrics provided some really great moments to capture.

Logistically a bit of a challenge with so many artists on stage at any given time coupled with a consistently full pit as sponsors, select crew, artists from earlier in the festival, and the promoters (all rightfully so) get to spend some time enjoying performances they've worked so hard for all week.

-A