Progressive(?) Metal?

Yeah, latter day Dream Theater is just terrible. The first three are amazing, Falling Into Infinity is half awesome and half garbage, and most of the rest is lacking at best. Only get Train of Thought if you want to hear potentially awesome songs ruined by pointless five minute solo tradeoffs.

Scenes From A Memory does that sort of thing a bunch of times yet no one bitches.

I actually think that album's incredibly overrated. A few good parts, but a lot of really over-the-top sections and incredibly cheesy parts. The worst one is that one keyboard solo in the middle of Beyond This Life where he just plays a bunch of weird, off-key chords in a row. WTF is that supposed to be?

I actually think that album's incredibly overrated. A few good parts, but a lot of really over-the-top sections and incredibly cheesy parts. The worst one is that one keyboard solo in the middle of Beyond This Life where he just plays a bunch of weird, off-key chords in a row. WTF is that supposed to be?

Yeah that part's pretty silly, but not enough to derail the song imo. What's really godawful is that poppish ballad "Through Her Eyes". Christ, that makes me gag. "The Spirit Carries On" is also pretty horrendous. But there are still some astronomically good songs on there like "Overture 1928", "Strange Deja Vu", "Fatal Tragedy" and "The Dance of Eternity".

The only songs on Falling info Infinity I really cared about were "You Not Me" and "Anna Lee". Both cheesy as hell, but also very memorable. I think "Just Let Me Breathe" was pretty kickass too, but I can't quite remember. Everything else on there is just mind-numbingly boring.

awakentheguardian.jpg

Now.
+
Madder Mortem
+
Sieges Even
+
Atrox - "Terrestrials"
Psychotic Waltz - "A Social Grace"/"Into The Everflow"
Soul Cages - "Moments"
Voivod - "Nothingface"
Watchtower - "Control And Resistance"
Mekong Delta - "The Music Of Erich Zann"

I would not recommend Train of Thought nor Falling into Infinity; Not only are they the two worst albums in their discography but also from a more objective viewpoint, poor representatives of the style that they are known for.

LOL @ calling Falling Into Infinity one of the worst of DT. i almost fell off my chair by reading this. thank you for the laugh of the week! 'Hells Kitchen' alone is better than 99% of DT songs

LOL @ calling Falling Into Infinity one of the worst of DT. i almost fell off my chair by reading this. thank you for the laugh of the week! 'Hells Kitchen' alone is better than 99% of DT songs

Fuck yes. That is one heck of a song and a big fuck you to those who consider Petrucci very mechanical and devoid of feel. I love the way they do the song now, with Rudess doing the Tubular Bells.