QUEENSRŸCHE: Dedicated to Chaos

Billboard Talks To QUEENSRŸCHE About Daring New Album, Band Longevity ( http://www.bravewords.com/news/164987 )

Billboard.com has posted a new feature on QUEENSRŸCHE and the Seattle pro legend's new album, Dedicated To Chaos. The album will be sold as a standard album, as a special edition with four bonus tracks and as a special edition bundled with a t-shirt and a lithograph. Aside from autographing 2,000 prints for the bundle, Queensrÿche signed another 4,000 posters to give away at Trans World. A video for the track 'Wot We Do' is posted at Queensryche.com to inspire fans to make videos that show their own personal interests. One winner will receive a gift package that includes a private dinner with band members.

The band is currently auctioning two bunks on its tour bus-a chance to travel as part of Queensrÿche's entourage-in the United Kingdom July 15-24 when it performs in support of JUDAS PRIEST. The group will then tour the United States (July 29-October 2) as An Evening With Queensrÿche to celebrate its 30th anniversary. Drummer Scott Rockenfield attributes "50% of our longevity [to] nurturing fans and giving them what they deserve . . . If we don't have them, we don't have a career."

Manager Susan Tate, who's married to Geoff and has been handling the band for about 10 years, says: "Queensrÿche doesn't want to put their name on as many things as they can. There's a quality to them, and they really care about their music. It's not about, 'How can we sell out as quick as possible and make the most money that we can?' " She thinks that what really keeps Queensrÿche ticking is that its members still love what they do. Her husband's comments about the track "Get Started," about a relationship that's only getting warmed up after 20 years, reflect that passion.

"I don't think of myself as winding down. I feel like I'm pretty vital and I've got a lot of ideas," Geoff says. "I'm still deeply in love with music and playing in the band and performing, and I'm not slowing down."

Read the entire report here.

This says it all refarding the new CD(other than the one song that I do like,which I refuse to consider a Queensryche tune)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know a lot about QR but did like a number of their tunes from the early days and all of Operation Mindcrime. I once saw a live concert on VH1 Classic which was very good and was never able to find out if it was ever released on a DVD but I'd certainly buy it if available. Again, from their earlier days. Quite a few years ago, they came here on tour and I went to see them and was really unimpressed by their show. By this time, Chris DeGarmo had left the band and they were into some new phase beyond their original style.

My impression is that once DeGarmo left (and I believe he was a key part of their song writing), they began to go downhill. It's one thing to evolve but in their case, I believe they had devolved. On some of the samples I heard today, Tate reminds me of David Bowie with an over emphasized vibrato. Sure, he is older and has lost some range but clearly seems lost stylistically as does the band.

What happened to DeGarmo (of course I will do some searching) and do others agree that his departure was what caused the decline?

A recent review of QR opening for Priest taken from here:
"QUEENSRYCHE: The first time I saw QR was here in 1984, supporting DIO. Following that gig I wrote a review sayiing that "Degarmo and Wilton proved themselves to be far more than the lated incarnation of Tipton and Downing tonight". Over 25 years later and Gegarmo is long since gone, but Michael Wilton seems as strong as ever, ably accompanied by Dearmo's latest replacement. I have no idea who he is, but he seemed quite comfortable up there. Geoff Tate (looking alarmly like the twin brother of Gav Bolton!) still possesses a fine voice and clearly still enjoys playing the master of ceremonys. The set was short, starting with 'Get Started' from DTC, but then contiuing with some classic 'Ryche, 'NM156','Screaming in Digital', 'Jet City Woman', 'I don't Believe in Love' and closing with 'Eyes of a Stranger'. DTC may be dodgy to say the slightest, but live, the band have clearly still got what it takes to be a class act that many others would struggle to match."

I found the breakdown of Amazon customer reviews pretty telling.

Customer Reviews
Dedicated To Chaos (Special Edition)

151 Reviews
5 star: (22)
4 star: (20)
3 star: (9)
2 star: (20)
1 star: (80)

It came to a 2-star overall rating.

Is there another band on this forum, or any other forum or website for that matter, that garners such emotion (good or bad) from people as Queensryche does? I remember buying OM1 and thought it was by far one of the great albums on the market at that time...and it still plays well to this day. It's just sad that my favorite band from the 80's turns in such blah music these days.

Is there another band on this forum, or any other forum or website for that matter, that garners such emotion (good or bad) from people as Queensryche does? I remember buying OM1 and thought it was by far one of the great albums on the market at that time...and it still plays well to this day. It's just sad that my favorite band from the 80's turns in such blah music these days.

totally agree. :confused:

I retract my earlier statement that Queensryche's new album was "blah" and will redefine it "as it just sucks".

And yes Angra, the last Sonata Arctica was "blah", but the new Pagan's Mind kicks ass!!