Quick thoughts on 2013 releases so far...

Quarter year top 10s at the ready please.

10 - Diamond Dawn - Overdrive
09 - DGM - Momentum
08 - Voodoo Circle - More Than One Way Home
07 - Avantasia - The Mystery Of Time
06 - Tainted Nation - F.E.A.R.
05 - W.E.T. - Rise Up
04 - Amaranthe - The Nexus
03 - GloryHammer - Tales From The Kingdom Of Fife
02 - Helloween - Straight Out Of Hell
01 - Stratovarius - Nemesis

I gladly accept my award for cheesiest current top 10!

My top 10 so far, no particular order:

Sacriphyx - The Western Front
Sulphur Aeon - Swallowed by the Ocean's Tide
Wardruna - Runaljod - Yggdrasil
Voodoo Circle - More Than One Way Home
Vreid - Welcome Farewell
Suffocation - Pinnacle of Bedlam
Magic Circle - Magic Circle
Paysage d'Hiver - Das Tor
Manilla Road - Mysterium
Wormed - Exodromos

My faves so far in 2013, in no particular order:

SAXON-sacrifice
HELKER-somewhere in the circle
TAINTED NATION-F.E.A.R.
AUDREY HORNE-youngblood
SHAKRA-powerplay
PRETTY MAIDS-motherland
CIRCLE II CIRCLE-seasons will fall
STRYPER-second coming

I think some tracks of the new AVANTASIA are killer (Black Orchid, Invoke The Machine) but as a whole, it's not grabbing me as much as the last few ones so far. I like the new VOODOO CIRCLE as well.
I'm really looking forward to the new VOLBEAT.

Can't get into the Pretty Maids that much yet. Pandemonium was better for me.!

Really? I also think Pandemonium is probably better overall and it took me a couple listens but I'm really into Motherland now. Songs like Hooligan, Motherland, The Iceman, Sad To See You Suffer, etc... are as good as they did in the past IMO.

I don't get everything, but this is what I have so far....

DGM- Momentum: It's the perfect title. They have a ton of it going forward as they have actually taken it up a notch from the previous disc. I will say that *this* is how you do a proper Russell Allen guest spot.

Man I love Mark Basile's vocals. DGM usually has a nice melodic chorus as well with great vocal layers. Simone Mularoni as a lead guitarist is incredible. He is in the league of a VERY few guitarists in that department. However, as a rhythm guitarist, he is WAY too busy for my ears. If he could learn how to play a power chord, DGM would be one of my absolute favorite bands out there. I still really like them mind you, but they could add so much more by doing a little less at times in their songs. Wasn't aware of the new release though. Will have to check it out. Thanks for the heads-up.

Bryant

Ok....so far my favorites of the year are:

Stratovarius - Nemesis..... Who the hell saw this coming?? Just a flat out KILLER slab of power metal joy.
Stryper - Second Coming......I openly admit to being a HUGE fanboy. I love the updated versions and the two new cuts are great!!!
Crashdiet - The Savage Playground........Fun, fun, fun disc.
W.E.T. - Rise Up.......AOR brilliance. JSS and Erik both handling vocals?? Insane. Melodic disc of the year so far.
Helloween - Straight Out Of Hell........they just continue to never disappoint.
Jimi Jameson - Never Too Late......the man still sounds smooth as ever.

Looking forward to the new Avantasia, Timo Tolkki Avalon, Fair Warning, The Poodles......what a great year for hard rock and metal!!