Rank the PPVI Bands in the Order You Most Want to See Them Play

dargormudshark said:
lifesadream said:
3.Stratavarius(Old School Prog Band)

Now Starcastle is an old-school prog band...Gentle Giant is an old school prog band....Strato is a power metal band that came out in '89 and is most known for their material 1996-2000

Stratovarius is a Melodic PROGRESSIVE Power metal band with symphonic parts recently....

wayland smithers said:
I cant believe Stratovarius are not at the top of everyones list. They are one of the pioneers of Power Metal and never played the States, they should be at the top of every list. For real!
Seriously, when you think of classic Metal legends you have Maiden, Priest, Dio, Ozzy, etc..
Thrash, Megadeth, Overkill, Testament, at one time Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer.....
Power, Stratovarius, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Angra, Helloween, Gamma Ray.....

When I think about Finnish Metal I think Stratovarius, when I think about Power/ProgPower, Stratovarius comes up to mind FIRST.

If you are talking about "classic" power metal bands, you really can't bury Helloween in there. They practically invented the genre (okay, an exaggeration, but Keeper is often considered the start of the PM era). Stratovarius has some great songs, but they obviously learned a lot from Helloween.

Steve in Philly

wayland smithers said:
I cant believe Stratovarius are not at the top of everyones list.
I will watch their set just to see them, as it may be the only time I do, but I just don't like them or much of the Power Metal genre, for that matter.

DarkOne said:
How would you guys rank the PP bands, in the order of how much you want to see them?

Here's mine:

Angra - Solid albums, incredibly talented, and a great job in PPIII

Pink Cream 69 - Underrated band. Readman an excellent vocalist, solid melodic rock band.

Conception - I Like Kahn, like what I've heard so far, looking forward to hearing the rest of their stuff. Obviously, most others are raving about this one.

Stratovarius - Cheesy? Sure. On the downward swing? Yup. Catalog full of catchy songs? Absolutely!

Symphorce - Haven't heard much, but Andy B was a great frontman last year. What I've heard is good.

Manticora - This band is really growing on me. Powerful music that I like more with each listen.

Orphaned Land - Interesting, but I haven't caught the buzz on them like the rest of the prog world seems to have done.

Therion - Buying the latest album in order to give them a second chance, but I just haven't like what I've heard much. It isn't bad music, but doesn't interest me enough to listen to it. I'll still listen to them at PP.

Heard one song each in the MP3 section and reserving judgment. So far, so good:

Circus Maximus

Stride

I don't know as many of the bands, and there is no one here that hooks me the way some of the past bands have (Circle II Circle, WoMD, Kamelot, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Sym X). No matter what, though, I expect it will be a great show. I haven't come away disappointed yet.

Steve in Philly

OK, so here goes...
1. Therion. This one will be simply amazing.
2. Manticora. Ditto.
3. Conception. True legends.
4. Stratovarius. #4 just because I'm interested to see if their legendary status
is justified.
5. Angra. A repeat but still a great band.
6. Pink Cream 69. When I first heard them they reminded me of vintage
Dokken. Interested to see the current band.
7-10. All the rest. Not because they're not great, but because I don't know
them so well. :loco:

Dark One said:
4. Stratovarius - I realize many are dismissing them as generic or wimpy Euro speed power metal, but they are one of the true pioneers...
Daniel Boone was also a "pioneer", but I don't want to see him live either.:loco:

My order...

Conception... awesome band. Hopefully this will lead to a new CD.
Angra... love Temple of Shadows.
Orphaned Land... one of those bands that we all must bow down to Glenn for getting a chance to see live.
Pink Cream 69... ironically, I got into this band two months before the PP announcement.
Stride... slayed at the pre.party. Will end up with a lot of new fans.
Manticora... good stuff, should go over well live.
Symphorce... not a big fan, but Andy will get the house crazy.
Circus Maximus... they could move up... need to hear the CD.
Therion... not my cup of tea. Don't much care for tea.
Stratovarius... I shall be wearing my customized CheeseWiz protective kevlar.

Dark One said:
Jason from Philly
The other Dark One
The original, and my favorite Dark One* on the board. Since your both from Philly, I'd be willing to put up a cash prize for a one fall, winner take the nickname Dark One/DarkOne, death match/thumb wrestling match.

Zod

*no offense Steve

1) STRATOVARIOUS
2) CONCEPTION
3) ORPHANLAND
4) THERION
5) PINK CREAM 69
6) ANGRA
7) SYMPHORCE
8) STRIDE
9) CIRCUS MAXIMUS
10) MANTICORA

General Zod said:
Daniel Boone was also a "pioneer", but I don't want to see him live either.:loco:

My order...

Conception... awesome band. Hopefully this will lead to a new CD.
Angra... love Temple of Shadows.
Orphaned Land... one of those bands that we all must bow down to Glenn for getting a chance to see live.
Pink Cream 69... ironically, I got into this band two months before the PP announcement.
Stride... slayed at the pre.party. Will end up with a lot of new fans.
Manticora... good stuff, should go over well live.
Symphorce... not a big fan, but Andy will get the house crazy.
Circus Maximus... they could move up... need to hear the CD.
Therion... not my cup of tea. Don't much care for tea.
Stratovarius... I shall be wearing my customized CheeseWiz protective kevlar.

The original, and my favorite Dark One* on the board. Since your both from Philly, I'd be willing to put up a cash prize for a one fall, winner take the nickname Dark One/DarkOne, death match/thumb wrestling match.

Zod

*no offense Steve

I think one of these two ought to have to get an avatar, so as to help distinguish themselves better. For the record I like both of them, but that name thing is totally confusing. I've got it figured out now, but I'm sure many others get quite confused as well.

Britt

ps - the irony of this is that I am DarkTide

1. Stratovarius
2. Angra
3. Conception
4. Manticora
5. Pink Cream 69
6. Therion
7. Symphorce
8. Orphaned Land
9. Circus Maximus
10. Stride

wayland smithers said:
I cant believe Stratovarius are not at the top of everyones list. They are one of the pioneers of Power Metal and never played the States, they should be at the top of every list. For real!

You know, I'm ok with people having different opinions than me on music. Really i am. Otherwise you have the mindless sheep mentality and you get stuff like Britney Spears, Blink-182, and Limp Bizkit happening. Granted, Stratovarius are better by far than any of those, but still, let people think for themselves, man. The music world is much better this way, trust me. Nothing should automatically be at the top every list, otherwise there would only be one band that "got there first" and a ton of bands that sounded exactly like them.
And for the record, in my opinion, the only thing Stratovarius came close to pioneering was throwing masturbatory harpsichord synth solos into the mix (and maybe removing a lot of the crunch that most of the earlier bands had). power metal was very much alive and kicking by the time Timo Tolkki picked up a guitar.

anyhow, that being said, my list:

1. Therion - love 'em. can't believe they're gonna be here. Thanks, Paul.
2. Circus Maximus - just when you thought i hated prog metal... sound awesome, from what's available.
3. Manticora - points for having far more balls to their sound than anyone else on the bill.
4. Orphaned Land - gotta love the oddball bands. I always do. Don't sound like the powerhouses that Mercenary and Into Eternity were, but it's good in a different direction.
5. Angra - they've been growing on me a decent deal since i was underwhelmed at PPIII, but i will still have to
cover my ears during "Carry On"... definitely interested in hearing their take on "Raining Blood" if they're still playing it by September
6. Symphorce - now THESE guys sound generic, to my ears. Still should be a really fun show, though, if Brainstorm was any indication. really didn't agree with me at first listen, but later ones have been a bit better.
7. Stratovarius - I just *know* these guys are going to totally be doing the Kamelot/Blind Guardian stage presence philosophy of "look upon us and worship us because we are who we are" as opposed to a more active, engaging show. I think at least a few people will understand what I'm saying. They do have a few songs I wanna hear though, i admit.
8. Pink Cream 69 - Arena rock? I'll give it a shot, at least. I love Wasp and Twisted Sister, at least. though they both were a bit more menacing in their day than PC69 seems to be.
9. Stride - i remember them being decent at the preparty they played, but they are not especially my thing, from the demo track.
10. Conception - given Roy Khan as a front man, see the Stratovarius comment. Additionally, I'm entirely convinced Conception are another Pain of Salvation for me. No Conception song I've heard has indicated otherwise. Everyone else will continue to love them, and I will continue to listen and shrug. I mean, it's definitely far from bad, but... *shrug*

well, that's my opinion. add it to the list!

Ryan

General Zod said:

:lol:

Fair enough, haha. I guess I just wanted to make the point that since they are such a long standing, successful power metal band, at the very least they should be able to put on an entertaining show to end Progpower, even if you have no intention of buying stock in Velveeta.

General Zod said:

Zod

*no offense Steve

Eh, it's alright I guess, I certainly have no problem with Steve at all. The reason the name thing was a problem for me before when I was writing for Royal Carnage was because I had people emailing me saying "why did you say this here about band X, but then turn around and say this here about band X, show some integrity", and so forth. But since I've scaled back lately due to other commitments, it hasn't been much of a big deal. Though I have to admit, I have been pondering a return to the ring.....

DarkTide said:
I think one of these two ought to have to get an avatar, so as to help distinguish themselves better. For the record I like both of them, but that name thing is totally confusing. I've got it figured out now, but I'm sure many others get quite confused as well.

What makes it even worse is that we're both from Philly. It was pretty surreal to say the least. I had hoped he would change it, but since he steadfastly refused, there was just nothing I could do about it and was forced to accept it. I'm sure Steve's a cool guy though, so nothing against him at all personally.

DarkTide said:
ps - the irony of this is that I am DarkTide

Hmmm..... isn't that a new brand of laundry detergent?? :loco:

DarkOne said:
Britt, ask and ye shall receive. One "Dark One" avatar, coming up . . . .

Steve in Philly

No, you mean one "DarkOne" avatar coming up. See the confusion? LOL

Anyway, hopefully this will help even more, thanks dude. You know, it's weird, I tried to load up an avatar picture before to no avail. The picture was probably too big I guess.

Anyway, no matter what, it would be cool for both of us to to get our picture together at Progpower.

Dark One said:
What makes it even worse is that we're both from Philly. It was pretty surreal to say the least. I had hoped he would change it, but since he steadfastly refused, there was just nothing I could do about it and was forced to accept it. I'm sure Steve's a cool guy though, so nothing against him at all personally.

Hmmm..... isn't that a new brand of laundry detergent?? :loco:
It's the brand of Tide for dark skinned folks. I don't know where I came up with mine at really. I saw it in relation to Star Wars before. I think there are a series of books called Dark Tide or something. I just thought it sounded cool at the time. I'd like to come up with something more clever, but this will have to do for now.

Britt

DarkTide said:
It's the brand of Tide for dark skinned folks. I don't know where I came up with mine at really. I saw it in relation to Star Wars before. I think there are a series of books called Dark Tide or something. I just thought it sounded cool at the time. I'd like to come up with something more clever, but this will have to do for now.

Britt

Haha, no worries, it's actually kinda cool, I was just goofin' on ya. :)

Jason

DarkOne join date May '02.

Dark One join date Feb '02.

Pretty obvious who needs to change....?

Otherwise, I'm just going to change my pseudonym to GeneralZod or Dark Tide for shits and giggles. :loco: