Recommendations on Concert DVDs

powermetalmaniac

New Metal Member
Mar 28, 2002
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone can recommend any good concert dvd's. I have Nightwish's lastest one and it was really cool. Im more into power metal bands but im open to suggestions of some good videos and what makes them as good as they are.

Dream Theater-Live Scenes from NY (A MUST HAVE!)

Iron Maiden-Live After Death (Can't believe I found this sucker)

Queensryche-Livecrime (Classic!)

Nightwish, Stratovarius, and Helloween's High Live are all worth picking up

Be warned that unless you're a die-hard Stratovarius fan, the DVD will not be suited to you as it's mostly just a collection of crappy quality home video. I am a casual fan of the band and after the initial viewing I have not had the desire to see it again.

the Nightwish DVD however, is so good that you could convert non-fans to the band with it. :)

-Darrin

Originally posted by Darrin
Be warned that unless you're a die-hard Stratovarius fan, the DVD will not be suited to you as it's mostly just a collection of crappy quality home video. I am a casual fan of the band and after the initial viewing I have not had the desire to see it again.

-Darrin

Yes it's because it's not a concert, but I think it's still good to see

and I forgot the Dream Theater one, and YES a must have

well neither of these are power or prog but good none the less:

Nine Inch Nails: And all that could have been
this is an excellent fucking portrayal of their excellent fucking Fragility 2.0 tour

Dimmu Borgir: World Misanthropy
If you like this band then you'll like this DVD, good concert footage as well as behind the scenes bullshit.

Hey thanks for all the replys but I have a question. How is helloween high live and dream theater? Is it like nightwish does it have more backstage stuff? Just curious.

Originally posted by powermetalmaniac
Hey thanks for all the replys but I have a question. How is helloween high live and dream theater? Is it like nightwish does it have more backstage stuff? Just curious.

I have this one. Excellent! Very good audio and video quality, really makes the show feel BIG. Reminds me of Iron Maiden's Live After Death. Now, go buy it! CDNow has it I think for about 15 bucks on DVD....

And no backstage stuff, at least not on the VHS version. I've yet to see the DVD version, sometimes they put extra stuff on there so guys like me who already have it on tape will still go buy the disc.

I also agree with the Queensrÿche "Operation: Livecrime" recommendation.

I am sure you're not an Emperor fan, but I absolutely love their Emperial Live Ceremony DVD. If you're willing to take a stretch, I highly recommend this DVD.

Jag Panzer has a kick ass DVD out.

Metalium has a decnet DVD out.

Hammerfall has a cool DVD (get the limited version) out.