Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement

Apr 3, 2004
Nashville, TN
Hello Gang,

Let me first get this out in the open. I typically do not like the Progressive style of music. I myself find I like the power side of ProgPower better. I do like bands that have a mixture of both but I have to say that the heaviness of the power side wins me over.

After looking at the roster for PP, i was not familiar with any of the band besides JOP. I looked at all the reviews and comments on all bands and thought that Riverside was the one that seemed to be a crowd favorite. So i asked for their newest one for christmas. I have to say, I did not know what to expect and to be honest was not really expecting that much.

I put the disc in and BAM!! I LOVE THIS DISC!!! The feel, atmosphere, grooves were just amazing. I love how the keys and bass really give this disc some groove to it. I have listened to this over and over and can't get enough. I love the vocals and especially when they harmonize on the choruses. The production is pretty good on this one. I say that I wish the guitars were heavier but if they were, i think it would take away from the disc. I have to admit, i do like the heavier songs a little more but the softer ones are amazing.

PANIC ROOM - is my favorite track on the disc. I love this song, everything about it.

Okay, This comes highly recommended. Take it from someone who typically does not like this type of music. This is done VERY WELL and I am blown away at how good this disc is. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THEM AT PP!!

GLENN, THANK YOU AGAIN FOR INTRODUCING ANOTHER BAND TO ME!!

Need your help board. I want to buy more cd's from this band. Now i do ask help b/c i am not typically a fan of straight progressive metal. Are the other cd's they have out as good as this? Please let me know what to expect musically on their other cd's. Slower, heavier, same, production etc...

Thank you.

Brand

I actually think that both of their other cds are *better* than Rapid Eye Momement. "Loose Heart" from the first disc remains my favorite song from them. That's the song I used for them on the roster introoduction video.

i have said this before and i ll say it once more...i can NOT get into this band at all...say i have poor taste if ya want...and i have tried to listen several times....but not a winner for me...i ll be at the bar when they go on lol

charlie:D

I have to say I love "Heavy Mellow". That's my best description for RIVERSIDE's music. I love FLOYD and they were the kings of this style. Just like FLOYD, RIVERSIDE's mellow hits the ground like a safe. It's so heavy. I know it's an oxymoron. I just started getting into RIVERSIDE and I bought all three studio albums and the "Panic Room" EP. "Loose Heart" must be played at PPIX. Closing your eyes with no distractions while listening to that song takes you to a whole different place.

Wow! I'm just hearing REM for the first time and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Emerald Sword said:
I have to say I love "Heavy Mellow". That's my best description for RIVERSIDE's music. I love FLOYD and they were the kings of this style. Just like FLOYD, RIVERSIDE's mellow hits the ground like a safe. It's so heavy. I know it's an oxymoron. I just started getting into RIVERSIDE and I bought all three studio albums and the "Panic Room" EP. "Loose Heart" must be played at PPIX. Closing your eyes with no distractions while listening to that song takes you to a whole different place.

Hey PA brother, I can't wait for you to hear Deathanity in its complete form! I think you will really like it! In fact, I think you will LOVE it! Listening to it through headphones with no distractions is quite the experience too.

Wow! I'm just hearing REM for the first time and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Hey PA brother, I can't wait for you to hear Deathanity in its complete form! I think you will really like it! In fact, I think you will LOVE it! Listening to it through headphones with no distractions is quite the experience too.
I will definitely take you up on that!

You're becoming assimilated into a Prog fan Brand. hehe

I like the first disc the best. The second and third both seem a little bit heavier than the first though. I think the songs on the first album are just a bit catchier.

Riverside is great. The first album IS the best, with the new one taking runner-up. Worth checking out for sure. They (especially with the first, but less so with the others) wrote music that evicts the typical rehash of prog repertoire

i have said this before and i ll say it once more...i can NOT get into this band at all...say i have poor taste if ya want...and i have tried to listen several times....but not a winner for me...i ll be at the bar when they go on lol

charlie:D

Charlie I'm gonna make you stand there with me and love every second of Riverside with me:headbang:
No bar for you! *Malicious laughter*
-Bren

Kenneth R. said:
Riverside is great. The first album IS the best, with the new one taking runner-up. Worth checking out for sure. They (especially with the first, but less so with the others) wrote music that evicts the typical rehash of prog repertoire
Yah, I do think the first does sort of stand out for me. Not as much as others who were probably into them from the beginning. Whereas, I more or less just started getting into them a few months ago. I heard the first two a while ago, they just didn't hit me at the time. Now they do...

Yah, I do think the first does sort of stand out for me. Not as much as others who were probably into them from the beginning. Whereas, I more or less just started getting into them a few months ago. I heard the first two a while ago, they just didn't hit me at the time. Now they do...

I think Out Of Myself is probably their best, but I really love everything they've done. Voices In My Head has some choice cuts too. :headbang:

Brand ---

Based on your comments about Rapid Eye Movement, you will definitely need to get Second Life Syndrome, which is their 2nd and best disc IMO. Its heavier, proggier, and has that guitar crunch you're looking for. Rapid Eye Movement is the lightest and dreamiest of the three, and no doubt you will be happier with Second Life Syndrome.

Brand ---

Based on your comments about Rapid Eye Movement, you will definitely need to get Second Life Syndrome, which is their 2nd and best disc IMO. Its heavier, proggier, and has that guitar crunch you're looking for. Rapid Eye Movement is the lightest and dreamiest of the three, and no doubt you will be happier with Second Life Syndrome.

I finally got Second Life Syndrom and Rapid Eye Movement after having Out of Myself for a year. Haven't had time to listen to REM yet... but Second Life Syndrom is worlds beyond the debut. I held off on other Riverside albums, because I wasn't too enthralled with Out of Myself and people were saying that was the better album. Now, I'm kind of embarassed it took me 2 years to pick up Second Life Syndrom. What the hell was I thinking, listening to you guys?

I've never seen so many people be so wrong before :lol:

The Michael