So, I saw Nightwish and Sonata in Worcester tonight (setlist spoilers)

Apr 10, 2006
Pawtucket, RI
Only the second night of the tour. Absolutely AMAZING.

Nightwish's setlist was along the lines of:
01. Bye Bye Beautiful
02. Dark Chest of Wonders
03. The Siren
04. Whoever Brings The Night
05. Amaranth
06. Dead To The World
07. The Islander
08. The Poet and the Pendulum
09. Come Cover Me
10. Sahara
11. Ever Dream
-----------------------------
12. 7 Days to the Wolves
13. Wish I Had An Angel

I may have missed a song between Poet & Ever Dream, but I don't think so.

Yes, it's true, they didn't play Wishmaster or Nemo. Which shocked me but wasn't necessarily a bad thing, I was glad to see Come Cover Me on the set.

As for Sonata?

01. In Black And White
02. Paid in Full
03. White Pearl, Black Oceans
04. It Won't Fade
05. Draw Me
06. Don't Say A Word
07. The Cage/Vodka

No, song 3 is not a typo. Nor is it a partial excerpt of the song like on the For the Sake of Revenge DVD/CD.

Tonight they really did play, for only the 3rd time ever (according to Tony), White Pearl, Black Oceans live in full.

yea i was really dissappointed sonata got such little time. though it couldve been better used imo.
nightwish was good. i mean ive never come around to the new singer, (singing tarja nightwish), but they did well. though honestly, i coulda done without a few tunes to give sonata more time.
than again i was there for sonata not nightwish.

I saw the show in Philly the night before. Sonata Arctica set was the same, and I agree, while it was GREAT to hear White Pearl Black, Oceans, the set was too short and thin on covering their hit cd's.

Nightwish's setlist was somewhat different than in Worcester. They played Wishmaster, (which frankly I'm a bit tired of, but it is one of their big hits), as well as "Slaying the Dreamer" which was fantastic! They also played "Sacrement of Wilderness" which was a big surprise. Really great show! I'll have the review and photos posted this weekend.

this is disappointing news.....I figured Sonata would be able to play at least 4 or 5 more. I am on the fence about going. The same thing happened to Leave's Eyes on the Blind Guardian tour.

Damn, Nightwish's setlist has not changed in any significant way in the last 2 years. To me, the setlist (particularly Islander and PATP) shows how much they rely on backing tracks, which is a bit annoying once you've seen Eluveitie or Korpiklaani.

I remember seeing them in Montreal back to back nights with Tarja, and it was exciting because you know they could legitimately play any of their songs, especially with a special occasion like that. I don't even know if I'll see them when they come to Winnipeg, it would seem a bit dull.

It reminds me of last year when Firewind was opening for Sonata at Jaxx - a few days before PP USA.

FW only played a handfull of songs before they left and SA played. I think they maybe had 30 minutes to play. They had a couple of opening acts which probably affected the amount of time FW had to play.

Seeing FW again at PP USA made up for it though since they played a full set there. :headbang:

Damn. I really thought this was a co headlining tour. But regardless both these bands on the same bill is a wet dream tour so I'm not gonna be too disappointed. One day I will hear UnOpened live though!

Thanks for posting that.
After reading the Sonata setlist, I will be avoiding this like the plague.
This pairing of bands has been in the works for a while now for the States.
VERY disappointing setlist for SA, considering they are the only opener.
I always looked at this tour as a co-headlining thing.
Apparently not.

As for Sonata?

01. In Black And White
02. Paid in Full
03. White Pearl, Black Oceans
04. It Won't Fade
05. Draw Me
06. Don't Say A Word
07. The Cage/Vodka

No, song 3 is not a typo. Nor is it a partial excerpt of the song like on the For the Sake of Revenge DVD/CD.

Tonight they really did play, for only the 3rd time ever (according to Tony), White Pearl, Black Oceans live in full.

I hope they keep "White Pearl, Black Oceans" intact for the Dallas show. Had my ticket for this event since the first day it became available. Interesting that "Draw Me" made it to the setlist as well, especially in light of some other omissions, namely "Full Moon" which I'm sure they're quite sick of playing but is a crowd pleaser to be sure. In any case, I'm hopeful of and am expecting a good performance although I pray this time around sees them playing with more fun and enthusiasm than the two other times I saw Sonata Arctica on the "Unia" tour. Those two prior shows seemed rather hurried and largely devoid of energy.

In any case, I'm hopeful of and am expecting a good performance although I pray this time around sees them playing with more fun and enthusiasm than the two other times I saw Sonata Arctica on the "Unia" tour. Those two prior shows seemed rather hurried and largely devoid of energy.
Actually, strangely enough, one of the more energized performances I've seen from them was at the Starland Ballroom in NJ, for all of like 50 people. A shame. Someone should have told them not to book a Jersey gig on the same day the Giants were in the process of winning the Superbowl. :Smug:

Anyone have the set list from SA's off date at Jaxx? (Nick and I were out of town for that show and will be at PP for the Baltimore date of this combined tour, so we missed them on this tour.)

They were supposed to be doing a headlining performance at Jaxx so I'm hoping that set list was longer and bit better, although it certainly would have been great to see them finally play White Pearl, Black Oceans. Nick's been waiting to hear that song live since the first time they ever came to the states in 2005. I almost didn't want him to see this thread because I knew he'd be upset about missing that song.

I was a bit bitter about missing the Worcester show but seeing that setlist I don't regret it too much now. I already put in a lot of time/money/effort to see both bands in the past (traveling across state lines and country borders to see them in 04 and 05) and seeing what amounts to fairly standard setlists, or songs I'm not that into, tells me I didn't miss much. I'll be back on for next time Sonata headlines the US with a full-length set - they rule too much to skip that.