SRC | Need to Know

timislegend

Jun 8, 2010
for those of you working @ higher sample rates... check out these charts and see what digital audio software is doing to your audio when you sample convert. not all src is created equal... choose wisely!

I wish i could wrap my head around this.

Is protools bad on the sweep or is it good?

It is a bit confusing, but if I'm interpreting it correctly the Pro Tools "sweep" graph denotes good performance, as the swept wave looks to be accurately reproduced without any artifacts. PT is one of the better performers in most of the tests.

These tests are pretty misleading. The principle advantage to using higher sampling rates is it pushes digital artefacts and distortion far beyond the frequency limit of human hearing.

Just work on your mixing skills and don't worry about it.

I feel like an idiot, but I really don't understand the graphs. Then again, I don't actually care, either :lol:

The main, bright "curve" represents a frequency sweep of a sine wave from 1hz to 20khz. the crosshatch line and other bits of shite represent distortion and artifacts resulting from the Sample-Rate-Conversion being used.

generally, the more stuff on the graph, the less clean the conversion is.

I'd like to see the graph for Ableton Live 8, seeing as the internal SRC engine was reworked after version 7.

well the only real-world scenario they apply to is when converting from one sample-rate to another.
Reaper can host files of different sample-rates in the same project, so it applies to any playback situation with multiple sample-rates involved.
Pro-Tools needs to perform a conversion before the audio can be imported, so thats where it applies for Pro-Tools users.
Ableton performs an SRC when using the "warp" feature on audio clips.

Basically, in any of these real-world situations, some DAWs are introducing a lot more aliasing and artifacts than others.
Whether any of it is audible or not is another matter entirely.

Quickly I checked that r8brain was the best performer:
r8brain.png

And Ableton 7 the worst:
Ableton.png

all of the graphs that don't contain any red through to white anywhere except in the upwards sweep and perhaps a tiny amount of reflection above 20kHz are fine, I challenge anyone to pick out distortion at -80dB

They resampled a sine sweep from 96 to 44.1 in many different DAWs and plotted the output as time (x) against frequency (y) with volume represented by colour. An ideal resampling algorithm would produce the original sweep perfectly, however in reality they all introduce a degree of frequency distortion (the fuzzy blue background and other lines) and in particular many aliase some of the frequencies above the cuttof point of 44.1 (22.05Khz) back into the audible spectrum (the reflected signal you see on the graph, it's there on the final izotope one, but not the other 3)