Steinar Gundersen's Guitars

i'm perfectly aware of the fact that Mr. Gundersen is more than capable of grinding jaw-breaking solos.... but what i meant, and i only intended it in good spirit, is that asking veteran musicians to join in on your astounding music will always give more-than-satisfactory, if not, extra-ordinary results. And i chose mr. Murphy not for his name, but for one specific reason. It is because i know his music extremely too well (especially his mind-boggling solo albums "Convergence" & " Feeding The Machine")... and i know "a Sceptic's Universe" by heart... and i have this gut instinct that Spiral Architect member's collective inspirations combined with James Murphy's will bring forth something tremendous... even if only on one song :)
I only comment on this with the best of intentions... in the end, it is up to you, members of Spiral Architect, to decide on the direction that you wish to pursue on your next album... and i wish you (Asgeir) and the rest of your bandmates the best of luck in creating another masterpiece for us, your loyal fans.

Heard Murphy on Testament's "The Gathering"? Awesome player! I'd love to do an album with him one day!

We'll try our very best at making a decent SA album! There are already (ALREADY???) some insane shit made that I need to construct endless series of 2 second long drum beats to (= fragments).

- Asgeir

asgeir said:
Heard Murphy on Testament's "The Gathering"? Awesome player! I'd love to do an album with him one day!
- Asgeir

Well, not that i'm saying "The Gathering" is not good... but if you want to listen to Murphy's best work with Testament, you have got to give "Low" a listen... great stuff... beats the living shit out of "The Gathering" in my opinion... besides, he didn't really contribute that much lead work on "The Gathering" which was rather disappointing considering the fact that i'm used to him ripping the living shit out of the music with his solos !!!

...and what the bloody hell do you mean by "We'll try our very best at making a decent SA album" !!! :err: decent!!! WTF do you guys know about decent?? anything short of excellence and perfection does not lie within your domain my friend !!! :worship:

James Murphy is a god. I love everything he's played on, but his solo albums kick so much ass you can't sit for months. I think Convergence is slighly better because of Devin Townsend's awesome vocals, but Feeding the Machine also stands out for the killer interplay between James and Vitalij Kuprij.

I personally think James' guest solo on the new Nevermore is amazing. People who think it doesn't fit are idiots. Nuff said.

Hey Batmura, thank you very much for solidifying my point :cool: it's good to know that someone else other than me here in this forum understands and appreciates James the way i do.... and just so you know... my ass is constantly hurting me !!! from being kicked so many times in the butt by his relentless music :D ... and yes, i agree with you, Convergence is a better album, but not just because of Townsend... but also because the music is slightly better in my opininon... but this by no means undermines the integrity of "Feeding the Machine"... an excellent album all by it's own: No One Can Tell You, Odyssey, Contagion, Race With Devil on Spanish Highway (my personal favorite), and the title track.... Enough said :headbang: .... by the way, the 3 consecutive solos on "No One Can Tell You" give me the goosebumps everytime i listen to them... so does the last solo that James plays on Testament's "Trail Of Tears"... the hair on my hands stands up every single time !!!! by the way batmura, I honestly didn't like "The Holocaust of Thought"... i kind of felt it to be too shabby for Murphy's style... i'm used to him being more aggressive and dramatic about his lead work !!! well maybe it's cause i didn't like the rhythm section of the song and it kind of reflected on James' Solo... or maybe it's cause it's been quite a long time since he's made any new material... kind of trying to get back into shape....:p

Yeah that's why I mentioned his solo on the new Nevermore. So many people have spoken negatively about that solo, but if you really pay attention how this languid ominousness underlies his phrasing, it is impossible to ignore the brilliance it embodies. I love Loomis; he's probably the best metal guitarist in the world right now, but that solo would have sounded completely different with someone else playing. A lot of Nevermore fans diss it, but I think there is a weird touch of uniqueness to James' playing that lends it a strange, almost narcotic atmosphere. And that simply makes him untouchable. I repeat: James is a god.

That said, I'd rather the SA guys do their own thing. They don't need James. They just need to be themselves. Unless Sean Malone is available to play some stick that is LOL. ;)

Hey Guys, this question is strictly for Lars, Andreas, Asgeir, and Oyvind... since i don't think anyone else will be able to answer this question... ok, so the question is: why Spiral Architect... why did you name your band Spiral Architect??... any special significance?? any kind of relation to Black Sabbath's Spiral Architect?? ... just a little something i'd like to know... i'm sure many other fans would too but didn't think about asking this question..... one more thing guys... in your site, you mentioned that sometime (God knows when) in the near future, you will add tablature to all the songs from "A Sceptic's Universe", and that we shouldn't check out unofficial ones cause they're all probably wrong... so the question is: can you?? and when can you?? .... put those tabs out for our personal use and abuse !!!! ... by the way... best way to write tabs these days is through Guitar Pro... just in case you haven't heard about it guys..... thanx alot for everything :)

Dark Lord said:
Hey Guys, this question is strictly for Lars, Andreas, Asgeir, and Oyvind... since i don't think anyone else will be able to answer this question... ok, so the question is: why Spiral Architect... why did you name your band Spiral Architect??... any special significance?? any kind of relation to Black Sabbath's Spiral Architect?? ... just a little something i'd like to know... i'm sure many other fans would too but didn't think about asking this question..... one more thing guys... in your site, you mentioned that sometime (God knows when) in the near future, you will add tablature to all the songs from "A Sceptic's Universe", and that we shouldn't check out unofficial ones cause they're all probably wrong... so the question is: can you?? and when can you?? .... put those tabs out for our personal use and abuse !!!! ... by the way... best way to write tabs these days is through Guitar Pro... just in case you haven't heard about it guys..... thanx alot for everything :)

I’ve just started a new thread on tabs.

About the name – we’re not oblivious to the fact that Black Sabbath has a song called Spiral Architect. Actually, Black Sabbath is probably my favourite band ever, or at least one of them. However – there are no direct musical links between them and us, so using that name for our band didn’t feel out of place. On the contrary – we all think the name nicely reflects the ‘spirit’ of the band, musically as well as ideologically. It’s in other words the perfect name for us.

I thought this is Steinar Gundersen's Guitars' thread ..... lol
anyway every comment counts :)
well i just figure out how could sound Steinar Gundersen playing those guitars with too many strings :loco:

lars k norberg said:
Since Oyvind being an excellent bass-player, we could probably also reproduce it live

Damn!! is there anything that Oyvind can't play or do??? Vocals, Keyboards, Bass... i'm guessing guitars too!! since he knows how to play bass, he probably should know how to play guitars.... so wait... why doesn't he just go learn how to play drums (unless he already knows !!!), and then he can easily form a one-man-band !!! :loco: ...it would be interesting to see him juggle from one instrument to the other if he plays live !!! (LOL) :D

lars k norberg said:
It?s in other words the perfect name for us.

Indeed it is...
The name sums up what I think ASU represents. SA evokes a feeling in me that I definitely got out ouf the album as well. I listened to Insect and Movin Spirit once and immediately went and bought the disc. The thought of being disappointed never even crossed my mind. I immensely enjoy ASU. I think I'm going to put it on now...

I think I just derailed the topic for good... ;)

well is hard to get that promotion by ibanez... jackson would be a good idea...
you have to do a video a bout yourself ,playing amazing cool stuff...
all you have to do is send a video and promote yourself on video for jackson... or really any company you are an amazing guitar player , you need to get notice by other people... like having your own fan page and things like that ,that when fan want to know abot there favorite musician they could just enter a search by name and find you ...but that is hard b`cuss you guys from spiral architect are really hard to find and get notice... try that andreas and you will see some progression as a persona on you...
peace andreas
happy holidays

I'd suggest you go with Jackson or ESP... my preferences ofcourse :)
besides... Jackson can make great 7-string guitars, they have an amazing custom shop... i assume that's what you're looking for at the moment... or are you still into the 8-strings phase ??

flexable said:
7 is enough for me :)
great, then do as "iAn ying yang" told you.... record a small clip showing your tremendous talents/skills on the axe.... then send it to Jackson along with a letter explaining that you are the guitarist of the ever-so-famous Spiral Architect from Norway... once they look up Spiral Architect, assuming they might not have heard of you guys :confused: , then i believe the answer will be quicker than you'll know it!!!
... tell me if you're gonna go forward with this...cause i'd like to keep track of things incase you do :)
** and yeah, tell them in the letter that Spiral Architect are in the works on releasing a new album soon... cause they will think you guys disbanded if you don't tell them considering that it's been 5 years since "A Sceptic's Universe".
*** one more thing... i'm not sure of this... but maybe Jackson are the type of guys that only like to endorse American musicians... i'm not sure... but if anyone knows here, then let us know :)
.... in the case of the above being true, just stick to ESP... they'll be more than fine :)

Darklord dude, you have alot of shit with you. Guitars are personal preference, when you reach a certin degree of quality. I own a PGM series Ibanez and its a banging ass guitar, so I fail to see your point. I also own the "Vai" signature otherwise known as the JEM, while it is an excellent guitar, some of the upper end RG series blow it to hell. As far as 7 string Jacksons go, years ago they attempted it and had a bad run of guitars due to poor sizing of scale length, Vai's Universe was the first production electric 7 string made and still leads, so thats something to think about. Schecter makes a good 7 also.

Steiner, maybe you've heard of them, but those Caparison guitars are pretty hot; and they are working on a 7 string production model. I have played the 6 string Dillenger and I'd have to say it trumps.

If I could ask a quick question directed for Lars(maybe this should go somewhere else). What model Steinberger bass do you play?

Anyway I'm damn happy to see a SA forum, I stumbled on here by luck today.:cool: