Stratovarius Article

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
I read a small article in the new Metal Edge 20th Anniversary Issue today about Stratovarius. The writer was mainly talking about the veteran powermetalers recent trek across North America. With that said, I'll sumarize what I think Timo Tolkki thinks about the states, their recent tour, and their new CD.

North America: Apparently, neither Tolkki or Kotipelto were too impressed with Hollywood or L.A. (I can't say that I blame them too much there!) :D

Recent Tour: In some of the larger cities they drew some decent crowds, but in the smaller places that wasn't so. The drives were too long in between stops. (It's a big country boys!) Tolkki said that from a personal standpoint he's glad that he's seen the states, but from a professional standpoint, the tour wasn't worth it. (Ouch!) (That's not a good way to gain new fans there Timo)

New CD: Tolkki isn't very pleased at all with the new CD, so he's going to start writing the new material in January of 2006. He said he didn't know what direction he was going to take the music either.

In conclusion: IMO, I don't think Stratovarius will be in no hurry to get back over here.

Side Note: Metal Edge did insert a small plug for ProgPower VI stating that Strat performed in front of a sold out crowd.

That's pretty much the meat of the article.

Is it hard to believe though that after doing music with Stratovarius for over 20 years, that it might feel like he was starting over again and that's something he doesn't want?

After playing Europe so much, I'm sure the crowds really were pathetic in some area's. Plus, Tolkki has gone on record as saying that he doesn't like touring like he used too and it's not that much fun anymore doing it (touring).

I'm not surprised really. It'd be one thing if Stratovarius was relatively young, but they're not.

He didn't mean anything bad towards the fans, he's just talking about the business aspect. And he's right. Coming all the way from Finland to play for a few hundred a night(if they're lucky) just isn't worth it from a business perspective. Although there is a little something called self-promotion, and touring is part of how you grow a fan base.

I'm also glad he finally recognizes that the last album sucked. It didn't suck because it wasn't fast. Edguy is slowing down too. It sucked because the mid-paced tunes weren't catchy. They just sort of plodded along.

I am willingly to bet that if they come back it will be for a festival only. I am pretty pissed that I didnt get to see them on the tour, oh well at least I had PP.

edgeofthorns said:
Recent Tour: In some of the larger cities they drew some decent crowds, but in the smaller places that wasn't so. The drives were too long in between stops. (It's a big country boys!) Tolkki said that from a personal standpoint he's glad that he's seen the states, but from a professional standpoint, the tour wasn't worth it. (Ouch!) (That's not a good way to gain new fans there Timo)

He's just stating a business-driven conclusion, with no disrespect to the fans....except that there weren't more of them in the venues. :)

Stratovarius and Therion did just about the same thing....came over, toured the US fairly extensively using the ProgPower date as a fulcrum (Therion) or as a starting point (Strato), and played a few too many cities on their tours. Therion's story was similar: some cities (NY, Montreal, Orlando) did quite well, and some had 100-150 people.

In conclusion: IMO, I don't think Stratovarius will be in no hurry to get back over here.

Alas, the same is true for Therion. Not from a lack of desire, but lack of cash. Touring with 10 people on stage plus crew is expensive. For those who saw their tour, it was probably a once-in-a-lifetime experience for us in the States.

Both bands should have played fewer dates in the States (in addition to ProgPower, of course). After the extensive nature of Therion's tour became public, Glenn said this...and of course, he was right.

Pellaz said:
He's just stating a business-driven conclusion, with no disrespect to the fans....except that there weren't more of them in the venues. :)

Stratovarius and Therion did just about the same thing....came over, toured the US fairly extensively using the ProgPower date as a fulcrum (Therion) or as a starting point (Strato), and played a few too many cities on their tours. Therion's story was similar: some cities (NY, Montreal, Orlando) did quite well, and some had 100-150 people.

Alas, the same is true for Therion. Not from a lack of desire, but lack of cash. Touring with 10 people on stage plus crew is expensive. For those who saw their tour, it was probably a once-in-a-lifetime experience for us in the States.

Both bands should have played fewer dates in the States (in addition to ProgPower, of course). After the extensive nature of Therion's tour became public, Glenn said this...and of course, he was right.

Yeah, I understand what he's saying, and why he said it. I agree with him actually. I guess it boils down to the fact of how bad the band wants to gain popularity over here. Like another poster said, they're not kids in a metal band anymore. They've had a very successful musical career regardless.