Symphony X 2011 US tour

I was just gonna post about the European version of the SX/NM tour. Looks amazing for sure. Then again, Mercenary is a different band now. I want to hear the new material so I can make a decision.

Well ill probably be there to catch SX for the first time!

Wouldnt mind seeing blackguard again..... great band live. Just seems as if they never stop touring. Shouldnt they have like their 3rd cd out now?

I'm actually totally stoked for this lineup. The only band I'm not sure about is Soilwork, but I'm sort of surprised that they're not placed higher. Should be a good time!

I think Soilwork makes sense. Nevermore's fan base is pretty wide... The prog/power folks will be happy with Symphony X and some other people will be into Soilwork...

I'd attend this because of Nevermore and Soilwork...

I'm really only interested in seeing Symphony X but expect that their set will be very short given the number of bands. Anyone care to guess how long their set might be?

2 songs, divine wings of tragedy and the odyssey :lol::lol::lol:

The last time SX came through, we saw them in Orlando and then again in West Palm...it was pretty cool. Still thinking about going to the Orlando show. In the middle of the week. Love them that much.

Hope I am not on the rail upstairs when nevermore plays south florida...tell everyone to bring vomit umbrellas...

I'm really only interested in seeing Symphony X but expect that their set will be very short given the number of bands. Anyone care to guess how long their set might be?

How is their set going to be very short if they're headliners?

Don't worry. They'll get a 90 minute set.

Definitely going for symphony X and Nevermore. Powerglove's a nice bonus.

I could seriously do without soilwork. Never heard them before now but after slogging through ten tracks of abject mediocrity I can safely say that I will probably go elsewhere while they play.

Which Soilwork were you listening to Corsair? Anything after A Predator's Portrait (possibly excluding Sworn to a Great Divide) should not ring of mediocrity, even if you don't like the style.

Also, it seems like I'm one of the few who's actually stoke about all three of the big names on the list.

Hm. Do I want to make the trek to Jaxx, or up to Boston?
NYC.

The NYC venue is the best venue there is for Metal shows. It's huge, the sound is great and the site lines are excellent. In addition, it's NYC. Bands always seem extra pumped to play NYC. And of course, it's essentially SX's hometown, which means they'll be a bit extra jazzed to be playing their home town. Lastly, the Philly and NYC venues are only separated by less than 100 miles. So you could do two shows for the price of one.

I'm a bit confused by this comment. It seems to suggest that Soilwork didn't hit their stride until "after" APP.

Not entirely what I was saying. It's just that after APP is where you see what is essentially their current style more or less fully congealed. With Steelbath Suicide, Chainheart Machine, and A Predator's Portrait they're more on the deathy side of melodeath, whereas afterward they're much more on the melodic side.

It's not that I don't like the first three albums, I routinely listen to their entire discography. It's just that once you get past APP you get the feeling that they've found what it is that they do best, and then just continually build on that.

For most people I know, the breakpoint seems to be Natural Born Chaos. That's where the "good" Soilwork starts. I don't entirely agree with that, but it's generally the area I point people to for them to start listening.

I'm a bit confused by this comment. It seems to suggest that Soilwork didn't hit their stride until "after" APP.

I did a double-take, too.

For most people I know, the breakpoint seems to be Natural Born Chaos. That's where the "good" Soilwork starts.

Wow, you don't hang around with ANY of my friends....all of whom would opine the opposite, pretty much.

Soilwork up through NBC > Soilwork after NBC