The Devin Townsend Thread

HarmonyDies....

Semi-True
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
What are your opinions on this musician and what are some of your favourite moments by him?

Mine are:

Devin Townsend - Tiny Tears
Devin Townsend - Night
Devin Townsend - Storm
Strapping Young Lad- detox
Strapping Young Lad- Aftermath
Devin Townsend - War
Devin Townsend - Sit in the mountain

that's all I can think of right now.

My favourite album is Terria by him, simply because it is so epic and the atmosphere is stunning.

Now it's your turn :D

And if you havn't heard him yet. Please hear him.

"Still My Bleeding Heart"
"Touching Tongues"

Both can be found on Vai's "Sex And Religion" cd

and if you haven't heard them you need to slap yourself with a wet noodle!

I also love "Here and Now" from above album.

As far as his solo material... there is just too much to pick a favorite

I only have Vai - Sex and Religion but I dig the dude's voice. Someday I'll start collecting his solo stuff and SYL, everyone is always talking about them around here.

phyre said:
My opinion is that he should get a fucking haircut.

Or just change the wig.

RIFF%20RAFF%20WIG%20LARGE.jpg

my favorite devy moment was being like 2 feet away from him while he played this like, 14 minute guitar solo or something (seemed like that long anyway...- in a good way) with lots of reverb, tapping and wah. omg it was so awesome.

JayKeeley said:
Has anyone heard Synchestra yet?

It's like Steve Vai's "Passion and Warfare part II".

That is all.

yeah I love the throwback at the end of Triumph, with the Vai solo, and then some random synth tones that were ripped straight from that album.

Really reminds me of Ocean Machine in the sense that the first half of the album is fairly straight forward, but then when it gets to the second half (in this case from Mental Tan onward) it turns into an epic flowing experience.

btw I've listened to this album at least 20 times in the past week, and still hearing new things with each listen.. the day I can buy this thing isn't coming soon enough.