The Future of ProgPower USA

So...everyone that is driving in....time to re-discuss it with your buddies that are on the fence about going.

I won a writing contest where I get a weekend car rental for free. Tomorrow I find out if I can rent something for that week...and how big a vehicle I can get. Already have a roomful of people so we cannot help you there, but if the cost of the trip is the ONE thing keeping you from coming...pm me and we can talk.

Ok, I'm learning a lot here about the finances of the festival. I've always assumed that you would need at least $1000 to make this work. Now I see that I can probably do it cheaper. Anybody in the Indiana/Ohio/Kentucky area wanna team up?

I sincerely hope that this is not the end. Where else are we going to hear and see all these wonderful bands. I have talked to my friends who I always wanted to go but have not up to now, and told them this is as good as time as any, fingers crossed. I want to thank Glenn and Jen for they have done for my Metal Musical wants desires, as well as everyone else involed in the festival. thank you all for the memories. But I trully hope we can all keep it going for a little while longer.

Progpower is always a notorious "hard sell" no matter the reasons. I've tried to promote to friends in the PA area; they've gone to Trans Siberian, Adrenaline Mob,Overkill, Nightwish etc, traveled for each show, spent $100 for a room, $50 for gas,
the guaranteed $25-30 for t-shirts, $50 for beer, tickets etc...usually a cost of near $200 a person for one show! But when I mention Atlanta & Prog Power I get this look like I'm insane!
They all enjoy the same types of music as I do, but cannot wrap their heads around a vacation in sunny Atlanta. I explain, Coke museum, the Aquarium thingie, Braves baseball, Underground Atlanta, Stone Mountain etc...but it doesn't add up for them.
I'm certain that if I could get them there once they would go back again and again, but that 1st step is the problem.

I hope you sell out Glenn, I really do. But I have been dreading the unevitable end for a few years now, since Fates Warning headlined and there were so many Fates fans that just didn't give a shit about 2 hour headlining gig in America. I even phoned one of said friends while Fates was playing and said..." I can't hear you, so listen for a minute to hear what you're missing..." let them listen in, and have heard them whine. "man I wish I could have been there for that..." YOU COULD HAVE, ASSHOLE!
Good luck, Glenn
As always, you have my support and I continue to drag my unwilling wife with me every year lol

How would they sell a ticket if they're not in the roster, Camden?

I swear sometimes you make no sense...

You're such an immigrant. LOL

He means that if by discussing freedom call with the guy it opens up the topics for Progpower, and the dude loved Freedom Call, you'd ALSO love Freedom Call if it meant selling a PP ticket. You know, so the guy didn't blow you off for being right.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. My personal suggestion and hope is to focus on specific reasons that someone sitting on the fence may not attend. If we can reach those specific people with alternatives, the ticket becomes a much easier sell. For example, money is always the first reason for not going. They see the costs at the Artmore, etc and that stops them in their tracks. However, how many of those folks have actually sat down and explored all of the options for lodging, travel, etc in the ways to save money thread? Jen posted a condo for rent recently that sleeps 8 people for $175/night within walking distance. If you coordinate a big group, you pay $22/night!!! That's just one of the many examples that can be pointed out to someone.

I think many have made good points in regards to lower priced hotel options. While budget hotel options within walking distance of the venue have decreased over the years, for people who have a car, there are still a large number of cheap motels (under $50 a night) within a 20 minute drive, as well as a few cheap parking lots right near the venue. This might not help someone who's flying in from the west coast or something, but for someone who lives closer and will be driving to Atlanta anyway, this could be less than 1/3 what they might be looking at paying at the Artmore or Residence. In 2005, I couldn't find any sort of decent deal at a nearby hotel, so I flew in, rented a car, and stayed at the Days Inn a couple miles out, and the room plus the car was actually cheaper than staying nearby.

Also, from talking to people over the years, I've noticed that sometimes people stay alone or split a room 2 ways... if you're trying to convince a friend to go, and they're on the fence because of costs... it seems like people often don't make use of the foldout beds they have access to in the Artmore or Residence, for example, which would allow for splitting the costs between more people. Now, I obviously don't know that the people who are leaving their foldout bed unused are the same people who are trying to convince friends to go, but it's worth pointing out, at least. Also, if you know someone who is thinking of going and concerned about cheap lodging, I'm pretty sure both the Artmore and Residence will set you up with an additional roll-in bed for like $10 a night.

Something else that also comes to mind, based on a discussion I had about a friend of a friend. He lives in Kansas City, saw the recent Sabaton show there, and is a fan of both Nightwish and Kamelot, and has been planning to see that tour when it hits his area. He's been aware of ProgPower for years, and always "wanted to go", but as far as I can tell, he seems to have convinced himself that he can't afford it or can't make it. This year, he has been offered cheap lodging, and, since the Nightwish / Kamelot tour is coming to his town anyway, he has been made aware that he can fly in on Friday, and leave on Saturday night / Sunday morning, thus minimizing his already low hotel costs. Yet, I suspect he still won't make it... I know as well as anybody that it can be very difficult to get people to break out of the assumptions they already hold.

I think part of it... even for some people who can afford to spend $400 - $600 to make the trip, is that the whole idea of picking up and leaving for a few days is just unfathomable. While traveling is second-nature for some people, others perceive it as a huge, expensive operation, or something that's simply impossible for them. I'm sure some people who say they simply can't make it for financial or other reasons truly cannot. But I also know there are other people who can, but just subconsciously feel that the whole thing is too daunting. A lot of people protest that they can't afford it, but if they manage to once, they often somehow find a way to afford it again in future years, because it's just that enjoyable an experience. I felt that way myself back in the day. Traveling 900 miles to see a concert sounded far-fetched... something that maybe other people do. But in November 2001, I just decided I was going to do it. I got in my car, and stopped only for food and gas until I got to Atlanta... and I've been back every year since. If you're one of the many people out there who is long overdue for a vacation, and you also happen to be a metal fan, well, you really couldn't pick a more perfect destination than Atlanta in September.

You're such an immigrant. LOL

He means that if by discussing freedom call with the guy it opens up the topics for Progpower, and the dude loved Freedom Call, you'd ALSO love Freedom Call if it meant selling a PP ticket. You know, so the guy didn't blow you off for being right.

But the guy doesn't like Freeom Call. :lol:

Plus, don't even. You know I'm right.

I would just like to throw it out there without having read through the whole thread, that I discovered Progpower because of a guy wearing a PP t-shirt at a Sonata Arctica show. I was a fan of the style of music for a few years prior with no knowledge of the festival. Needless to say i was instantly interested and went with a group of three that same year to my first PP. Have been a couple times since then and hope I will have the chance again in the future. I guess the point is....wear your festival shirts! Something that simple could make a difference.

I hate to even mention him, but has anyone tried to get Eddie Trunk to mention PP recently? He likes SOME prog and power metal.

I sent an email to him via his website two years ago. I offered to bring him in as my special guest with all expenses paid. I told him that I did not expect anything in return in advance. My hopes were he would mention the festival later on if he had a good time.

I never got a response.

Douchebag.

I've decided that I'm going to buy 2 extra tickets and bring 2 friends that have not been to ProgPower since PPVIII. Another friend who has not been to ProgPower since PPVIII just got a new job & he claims that, now that he's making money, he'll buy a ticket when he gets paid next.

Just doing what I can to help the festival stay alive. Wish I could do more. PP has been a yearly vacation for my fiance & I since 2003. Its pretty much the only thing we look forward to every year.

I sent an email to him via his website two years ago. I offered to bring him in as my special guest with all expenses paid. I told him that I did not expect anything in return in advance. My hopes were he would mention the festival later on if he had a good time.

I never got a response.

Douchebag.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but if he has someone screening his email for him, it might not have made it through to him. While my impression of him is that he has grown too big for his britches, I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I've decided that I'm going to buy 2 extra tickets and bring 2 friends that have not been to ProgPower since PPVIII. Another friend who has not been to ProgPower since PPVIII just got a new job & he claims that, now that he's making money, he'll buy a ticket when he gets paid next.

Just doing what I can to help the festival stay alive. Wish I could do more. PP has been a yearly vacation for my fiance & I since 2003. Its pretty much the only thing we look forward to every year.

This.

I never got a response.

Douchebag.

Maybe try sending an email to Don Jameison and Jim Florentine similar what you did to Eddie Trunk. (If you haven't already)

Even Richard Christy from the Stern show. All these guys are much more open minded and are actually into this kind of music. I could totally see any of those 3 guys plugging the fest. Plus who knows, they may actually get Trunk to buy into it too.