The Future of ProgPower USA

But we had decided to go to ProgPower VI for the first time before I ended up moving back up north. We actually didn't know a single name on the roster that year! But going there opened a whole new world to us. We've made it a tradition to go to ProgPower every year since then.

Ditto.

My first PPUSA was X. I actually bought the ticket because of PowerQuest... who wound up being Visa casualties, but I came anyway, despite knowing NONE of the bands. Who did I get to meet and hang out with? Sabaton (who I saw with my son last year, and it was a blast), Orphaned Land (Yossi and Kobi and I still write, and I get to see them when they tour), DSO, Circus Maximus (Michael is one of the coolest guys EVER), and, oh yeah, the Crimson Glory SuperShow.

I knew none of these bands.

XI I was a little more prepared, and XII I had listened to SOMETHING from each band's catalogue. For XIII, I actually knew some of the bands before the "reveal", and am thrilled to get learn the others. I have also learned to shut up, and just experience music that may not interest me at first. While I am still not a "fan" of Ihsahn's music, I am a fan of Ihsahn the professional, and am glad to have had the ability to witness his show.

On the one hand, I am stunned that the Atlanta area alone cannot sell out this show in the space of 3 hours... but I also know that I worked down the street from Center Stage for 3 years without ever knowing about the show... and I drove by the lines of folks waiting to get in all week, missing: Nightwish, Symphony X, Evergrey, Circle II Circle in 2003; Savatage and Kamelot in 2004; and Stratovarius, Angra, Therion, Orphaned Land, Pink Cream and C.M. in 2005. I really do not know many people who listen to this music... other than the folks who are already going. I am, however, going to start reaching out to folks from my youth who I know USED to love this stuff. Maybe I can rekindle some fires.

Ironically enough, I have a review/promotional article I'm working on for Rock and Roll Industries Magazine (http://www.rocknrollindustries.com/zen/) that I hope to make the July issue. The article goes on to talk about the mediocrity of choices we (the metal fan) have in this country with regard to concerts and festivals; then introducing PPUSA as a quality alternative to that mediocrity. It then goes on about being more about than just the US exclusive appearances of headliner quality bands, but the culture and intimate environment and everything else that makes this festival so unique.

Glenn had a dream, he made it happen and we can be grateful. However, he can't do it alone. It's up to all of us to promote not just this event but the Progressive (Power) music scene in this country. There is no substitute.

If the article can help sell just one more ticket, than I feel I've done something right. I want to do more! Bottom line is, Glenn doesn't have the resources to promote this event on a national scale in mainstream media. It's up to us to get that done. There's no reason in the world why 1050 tickets can't be sold for bands of this quality. I know there 20-50 fold more fans of progressive and power metal music in this country who likely aren't even aware PPUSA exists.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm not throwing in the towel yet. I'm just being realistic.

Btw...another festival bites the dust:

http://www.fusedfestival.com/

I'm glad. Not ready to see the festival fold just yet.

Is the Nightwish/Kamelot ticket sales directly influencing this possible outcome? (just curious)

About Fused Festival... Bummer. Fused was going to be good... Where did the "best fans in the world" go?

Fused was going to be good... Where did the "best fans in the world" go?

In my cheesiest reply, "They went to ProgPower". Im fairly serious with that comment though. The comradarie on the board might be a little flakey, but it's always 100% at the show and stupid fights on the forums rarely carry over to the show itself. Everyone is usually in very high spirits and very outgoing. It's more than I can say for just about any show I can think of.

It was looking very difficult for me to be able to go this year, with my current place of employment soon closing down, despite already purchasing my badge; after hear this though, I know come hell or high water, I have to make it just in case.

However, with only 300 tickets left and it being just May, I am confident we can get a sellout and continue the success.

It was looking very difficult for me to be able to go this year, with my current place of employment soon closing down, despite already purchasing my badge; after hear this though, I know come hell or high water, I have to make it just in case.

I was in the same boat - not 100% sure if I was going to attend. We just had the baby, are paying our tax bill, etc. It wasn't looking great for ProgPower. However, I talked to the boss last night and we agreed that if this turns out to be the final one, nothing will prevent me from being there. And if there is another next year (as I hope), I'll just have to make it this year anyways... lol

I really hate to think that this may be the last year of Progpower. This fest has been an important part of my life for the last 6 years. Not only has it introduced me to some amazing music and some even more amazing people, but it has kept me in touch with very close friends. My usual crew consists of a couple guys that I served in the military with that have since moved away. I am AWFUL at keeping in touch with old friends and this fest gives us a guaranteed weekend to hang out and catch up. Most importantly, I have been bringing my two sons to the fest since PP8. My youngest was 8 at his first pp. the fest has been invaluable bonding time with my kids. With them getting older, we have less time together and music, specifically this fest, has always been our common ground. So thank you, Glenn and Jen (and everyone involved) for helping bring our family closer.

I have several friends that always ask and express interest in the fest. Needless to say, I will be pestering them to the point of nausea to buy tickets and come along this year. Hopefully we can keep this amazing fest alive...

I know it is harder for people to do these festivals. Travel is a bitch these days. It's expensive, and places to stay are ridiculous. One year for PP, I slept in my van out behind the ballet school because it was the only way I could go. A couple of times, I've stayed way outside the area in a $35 hotel. I mean, you do what you can do. I know everyone wants to be in the action of the Artmore, but that $1000 trip is harder to come up with for some.

I still hope I can go, but the date really hit wrong for me this year. If I can, I'll buy a ticket, or tickets for the festival regardless of making it there. I don't want to see it go away.

Wow, I never wanted to hear those words as this will only be my 4th ProgPower to attend. :cry: Time to start pimping out ProgPower on FB and other social media outlets! I'll do whatever I can to help out my favorite festival. So many memories, so many new friends, let's try and keep this thing going for as long as we can.

I am bringing a new gal along (she hasn't bought her ticket yet) with me this year and have almost convinced another person to join us!! But I also know of two others who haven't bought their tickets just yet.

Thanks again to Glenn and all who help make this festival so special.

I for one am not giving up on the fest! If this clip doesn't inspire and motivate everyone to help sell out this years fest nothing will!

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 mattbrood!

We're metal fans. PROGPOWER Metal fans!

I'm going to go buy two more tickets! And FIND someone to fill those last 300 seats!

Who's with me?

Last edited by a moderator:
You may have to raise the gold badge price a bit, or bring in a few less bands. I don't know how you bring in so many top notch bands only charging us GB holders $150, while I in now means have a lot of dispossible income, I wouldn't blink at $200/$250 GB ticket price in order to see all of these caliber out of country bands. I know you don't have that luxury with the reg ticket prices getting the casual fan to attend, but I'd sure rather spend a few extra bucks than not have the festival any longer. Just my opinion.

We've got at least one new person coming this year. Unfortunately, we're down one regular because he can't afford to get married AND go to ProgPower. :/

I always keep trying to get people to go.

Those are two of the most classic movie scenes from my adolescence. Now if someone could just figure out to make the police sketch artist scene from Porky's pertinent to this thread, we'll have the Triple Crown.

I got Sabrina an I's ticket last night and have spent today talking my mom and jerry into going (they came up XI) and loved it... This year should be no different... Hoping a few other friends will join us too. I fully expect more people to purchase in the closing months. It seems the lack of cash flow makes people procrastinate.

I guess a gauge of dedication would be...

If you cannot afford to make the festival, but want to see it next year: Buy a ticket anyway.

If you cannot afford 600-1000 for this trip, spend 150 now and come next year when you are in better financial shape.

Consider it an investment in your future.

After having seen 10 of these, I know there was a year or two where I had no idea if I would make the festival. I bought the ticket anyway and hoped/worked for achieving the best. It has worked out (but boy did I come close to not making it in 2009 or 2010!) but I think it is money well spent even if I did not go.

Screw the premature eulogies. I'm not going down without a fight. I challenge everyone to find one additional potential attendee.

Well said bamafan... if HALF the people that already have tickets got 1 extra person to go, sell out, period. Get 'er done!