The Future of ProgPower USA

Right. Ever heard of Creed? Nickelback? Any other super popular "deathcore"/"emo" band?

shit is shit regardless of genres. there are PLENTY of shitty power and prog metal bands out there. don't think we should be talking shit on other genres outright. hahaha. might give us the image of being "snobs" in metal. hahaha.

Plus i like Nickelback. Not so much the last two albums, but the other stuff is some catchy pop music. it serves it's purpose. hahaha.

shit is shit regardless of genres. there are PLENTY of shitty power and prog metal bands out there. don't think we should be talking shit on other genres outright. hahaha. might give us the image of being "snobs" in metal. hahaha.

Absolutely, I can name a bunch of "shit" bands in the prog and power genres. I was just giving obvious examples of bands that I personally think are crap, and are headliner caliber. Hoodaman was saying that, essentially, "a string of good records qualify a band to be a headliner." We all know that it takes a lot more than just good music.

Plus i like Nickelback. Not so much the last two albums, but the other stuff is some catchy pop music. it serves it's purpose. hahaha.

Eh... I never cared for them. Just not my thing. If I want a kick ass mainstream-sounding rock band, I'll go with Alter Bridge or Heaven Below. :)

This is sad news indeed. This festival has been the highlight of my year since 2002. I’ve been a Gold Badge holder since then, even when I haven’t loved the lineup (which, fortunately, is rare), because there really is no other experience like this festival. I would really hate to see it end.

That said, it’s also a business. It’s not a charity, nor should we expect Glenn to sink his time and money into something that’s not going to bring a return on his investment. The business model is dependent on ticket sales – as in all tickets sold – and if that doesn’t happen then ending the fest is the logical – however heartbreaking – conclusion.

So how do you move those tickets? I think it’s harder for us to see the challenge there, because for the most part we’re the “choir” – the dedicated, repeat attendees, Sponsors and Gold Badge holders who are going to come regardless of how well the lineups suit our individual tastes. The challenge is getting new attendees through the doors, and it seems to me that means either getting bigger names within the progressive and power metal genres (and breaking the bank in the process) or getting bands with more mainstream/cross-genre appeal (and risk damaging the whole identity of the festival). It’s a tough road either way, and I don’t envy Glenn having to make these decisions.

For our part, I don’t think the answer is fundraising or raising rates (admirable as those ideas are). I think we all have a measure of our identities tied to this festival (I know I do) and want to help shoulder the burden, so to speak. It seems to me that our role is to spread the word and try to help fill those seats. I’ve always thought that if you can get someone to go just once you’ll make them a believer for life. Unfortunately it’s hard to get people to make that investment. I’ve got two of my HRH colleagues “planning” (sadly they have not pulled the trigger and bought tickets yet) to go this year, and that’s the most luck I’ve had in eleven years of evangelism. I’ll keep trying though, and I’m sure the rest of you will too.

I vaguely remember something like this happening but not sure if I imagined it or not -- we should set up a time in a week or two for interested parties to join the PP chat or another location to discuss advertising attack strategies. Coordinate and go.

I vaguely remember something like this happening but not sure if I imagined it or not -- we should set up a time in a week or two for interested parties to join the PP chat or another location to discuss advertising attack strategies. Coordinate and go.

I totally support that.

I say as soon as possible. Considering this is "the hot topic" right now among our community, I think this has to be done immediately. The subject is in everyone's mind, ideas might be fresh, and I think everyone is feeling a little bit of a sense of "urgency" to try to turn things around... I wouldn't let the topic "cool down"...

Sunday nights are tough for me, but I can make it work somehow (as long as the baby lets me, lol). How about an evening during the week?

I can make most any night work. Weeknights are better. Milton's right -- this should be done as soon as possible. Maybe next Mon or Tues? It's close enough so where the topic is still hot but gives people time to plan/come up with ideas.

I can make most any night work. Weeknights are better. Milton's right -- this should be done as soon as possible. Maybe next Mon or Tues? It's close enough so where the topic is still hot but gives people time to plan/come up with ideas.

Awesome. Do you think this Thursday is too soon?

AB, now that is good stuff. Thoughts on Myles performance with GNR?

Watched it last night. Honestly, I say they just get Myles to front VR or whatever-name-they-choose to form a new band and show Axl how it's done for the sake of the fans.

I think Myles is a great singer. Would love to see him live someday, never got the chance...

Ever heard Heaven Below? Glenn got me into these guys when he posted about them on his Top of the year post (I think 2009?)

(sorry for derailing)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure people could do some great promoting at the Iron Maiden show in ATL June 23rd.I'd be glad to hand out cards/flyers/or anything else I can do at that concert to help.I don't have access to a color printer though.We only use black/white in our warehouse.Any ideas?

I'm sure people could do some great promoting at the Iron Maiden show in ATL June 23rd.I'd be glad to hand out cards/flyers/or anything else I can do at that concert to help.I don't have access to a color printer though.We only use black/white in our warehouse.Any ideas?

The Maiden show in June is prime now that you mention it....

A ProgPower tailgate could be easily organized. And we'd be surrounded by potential new attendees.

I won't be doing that many shows this Summer due to daddy duties (in fact just found out Voyager falls on the same evening my wife goes back to work, so ugh...). However, there are plenty of ProgPower attendees here in the NY/tri-state area. I am confident we can get them to bring ProgPower USA cards.

Another thing... Voyager, Sabaton, Symphony X... these are all ProgPower bands (current or past) that are/will be on tour in the USA. During the Iced Earth/Symphony X tour, I brought a large stack of cards to their show and talked to their merch person/road manager about taking them during the tour and placing them on their merch booth throughout the tour. I heard from a couple of people that the next night, they had a few left. I am pretty sure that if I emailed Danny (Voyager) and asked him to put a ProgPower USA banner on their merchbooth every night, he would do it in a heartbeat. Free advertisement and huge exposure. I guarantee there are fans going to see Rhapsody of Fire this year who never heard of ProgPower. If this helps sell *one* single ticket, it's worth the effort in my opinion.

The Maiden show in June is prime now that you mention it....

A ProgPower tailgate could be easily organized. And we'd be surrounded by potential new attendees.

I think one of the best ways to promote a concert is by wearing a shirt that represents it.Can't tell you how many times I've read someones shirt that was about a festival or concert I had not heard of and ended up asking about it.I don't know how many from this forum are going but the more shirts out there the better.