The "it wouldn't have happened if it weren't for Glenn and ProgPower" thread

Dark One

The Tainted Dogma
Feb 5, 2002
Southwest Florida
www.ultimatemetal.com
Ok, so I was listening to Circus Maximus' The 1st Chapter this morning and am enjoying it every bit as much as when I first heard it about two years ago. It led me to start thinking..... "if it weren't for Glenn, I never would've discovered these guys." And that also led me to start thinking about other moments, events or discoveries that never would've happened if Glenn hadn't worked his magic on our behalf. Here's a few of the most important ones for me (of course these will differ for many people, which just goes to show how far reaching his efforts have been for us):

• Bringing Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Angra and Edguy together for one festival in the U.S. at ProgPower III is something I'll never forget. It was the true climax of the years that power metal was center of my listening universe and a truly fitting one at that.
  • Discovering the existence of Circus Maximus and being able to witness the sheer brilliance of Mike's vocals in a live setting.
  • Being able to witness the passion and power of Orphaned Land in a live setting.
  • Discovering how much I enjoyed Conception and just didn't know it yet.
  • Being able to meet friends I may never have had the chance to meet otherwise that I still keep in touch with on a regular basis outside the festival (I know this can happen anywhere and at any show, but it's been especially true of the one and only ProgPower). Royal Carnage and an entire legion of musical discoveries and friendships would likely never have happened for me if not for ProgPower.
  • Last and certainly not least, where else in the U.S. could I have ever previously felt so special as a fan of the music I love best? Aside from a few internet forums, I was completely isolated as a prior fan in terms of fitting in and feeling part of such a thriving and passionate community. My confidence as a fan has been lifted to previously unimaginable heights thanks to being able to come together in such large numbers.

In conclusion, all it took was one listen to Circus Maximus this morning to reflect and truly realize the impact that ProgPower USA has had on my life. Sometimes I feel like I've taken that for granted - but I won't ever make that mistake again. I can't thank Glenn and everyone involved enough for making and continuing to make such a festival reality. Whether I can attend every year or not, you will always have my support. ProgPower is the product of one man's vision and one community's passion - but it's ripple effects (whether small or grand) have been so much more far reaching.

With sincerest gratitude,

Jason

I agree with your sentiment! Glenn should be commended on putting together such a quality show year after year and he actually looks out for the concert goers to his festival. Don't we wish all Metal show organizors did that?

ProgPower is the highlight of my year!

I will never forget the performances of Superior, SyX (PPII), Threshold, Brainstorm, Angra, Vision Divine, Circus Maximus, and a few others that really stand out over the years and rank up there with my first DT, Rush, and Maiden shows.

Glenn has almost cost me as much money as my wife!!!

Bill

My disgusting little life revolves around two things: doing what I can to make my kids happy, and all that is ProgPower:
Spending time with my two favorite friends!
Plus
The music
The bands
The fans
Finding great new groups at the Vendors tables
The parties at the hotel
Driving up and back from Atlanta
Being able to get drunk off my ass and not worrying about it.
Basically being able to blow off steam for four days enables me to make it thru the rest of the year.
Glenn is more responsible for me being sane than everyone but Burke and Unkakev...
For that, I gotta thank him--and all of you.

ProgPower is the highlight of my year!

Me too!!

GREAT post - I started thinking about this year's show and I thought about making a similar one while Glenn was gone so he could see the appreciation when he got back. Although I don't know as many bands' catalogs this year, I am looking forward to it more than ever!! All the way from my friends in Krucible opening the show to the return of Freak Kitchen to Sonata.

Thanks, Glenn!!

Chris :headbang:

Nice thread. I have emailed Glen on more than one occasion thanking him for putting on this show even though I have never been. This type of music is my passion and I know that through his efforts, many people have been introduced to the type of music that I enjoy. Thus, more of the bands are touring the states and it is becoming a little bit easier to come by the cd's in stores although we have a long way to go with that one. I have also learned of bands not only from the bands that have played but from right here on the forum. It is tough when you live in a small town and you only know 1 guy in that town that listens to your kind of music. BTW, I turned that 1 guy onto this music so it was no guys until then. Therefore I am just as grateful for this forum as I am everything else. Although I have only met a few folks here, I look forward to meeting more at this years Prog Power if not before then. ProgPower USA has consumed many hours of my thoughts over the years in the hopes that someday I could go. Sad to say that this hope has at times been the only light in a very dark life. I can't imagine a much more killer line up to include the all star jam than this one for my first ProgPower.

Thanks Glen for at least putting in on this long so I can finally attend one. I obviously hope for many more years to come.

How about a ProgPower Spring edition and a ProgPower Fall edition.

I too, look forward to the trip to ProgPower as MY VACTION of the year, and if not for Gleen i would probably never have learned of Circus Maximus, or Raintime or some of the other bands, but there is something else that Glenn has given to me, and that is the courage to go out and do my own festival. I know that this festival I am doing is small in comparasion, still it was Glenn and his ability and determination to make PP the priemer festival in US that showed me the way, and allowed my dream to come true. Am I excited about this festival yes, am I scared??? I am scared shitless, but i know that it takes time to become as PP is and i know i may loss money, but hey i am living my dream, so thanks Glenn for the example.

My disgusting little life revolves around two things: doing what I can to make my kids happy, and all that is ProgPower:
Spending time with my two favorite friends!
Plus
The music
The bands
The fans
Finding great new groups at the Vendors tables
The parties at the hotel
Driving up and back from Atlanta
Being able to get drunk off my ass and not worrying about it.
Basically being able to blow off steam for four days enables me to make it thru the rest of the year.
Glenn is more responsible for me being sane than everyone but Burke and Unkakev...
For that, I gotta thank him--and all of you.
Likewise bro! Hangin' with you guys is always fun but, going to PP every year is one of the highlights of my year as well! And as everyone else has said there are bands that I wouldn't have known about or have gotten to see, were it not for Glenn. Same goes for the new friends that I've made there as well! And yeah I get broke in the fall too, were it not for Glenn but, it is well worth it! Thanks to all of you guys! :headbang:

ProgPower is the highlight of the year for me. I have been the last two years and I will do everything in my power to make sure I am there every year. I also never would have meet:

AngraRules
Curufin
Pellaz
Hoyt
Pyramaze51
metalsped
Regor
Bryan316
ShokRok
Shaq
Pollution
Metal Rose
Kitty Beast
The Whisperer
Yngvai X
booB

Just to name a few...(and yes I know all their names except for Metal Rose, but I dont think she ever told me.)

yea honestly this gives me something to look forward to when at times, it seems like theres nothing eventful happening for the rest of fucking forever.

and i, like many others, have discovered new music as well from this festival.

major props to glenn from my end for sure.

props to the rest of you as well for supporting prog power, without the rest of you, we might not be able to have a great concert like this every year.

Good to have a place to talk about this kind of music, even if it's from behind a keyboard. Opinions may differ, but at least you people know who and what the Hell I'm talking about.

ProgPower is the highlight of the year for me. I have been the last two years and I will do everything in my power to make sure I am there every year. I also never would have meet:

AngraRules
Curufin
Pellaz
Hoyt
Pyramaze51
metalsped
Regor
Bryan316
ShokRok
Shaq
Pollution
Metal Rose
Kitty Beast
The Whisperer
Yngvai X
booB

Just to name a few...(and yes I know all their names except for Metal Rose, but I dont think she ever told me.)

MEN BROTHER!!!!! I have made so many friends just from Progpower and i consider these friends more than just friends i consider them family, and would not trade their friendship for all the money in the world, i consider them my brothers and sisters, and it includes all on your list, and many more. They know who they are and what all of you mean to me, i love you one and all.:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I never would have been so incredibly drunk for so many consecutive days in a row without sobering up if it wasn't for Progpower VI....:kickass:

If it weren't for Glenn and Progpower I:

--Would have been jealous of the Swedes forever for being the only people to witness Evergrey's "Night to Remember" set.

--wouldn't get giddy everytime I hear a Progpower band and think "I'm gonna SEE them in the fall"

--Would have one less home tab that loads when I open firefox..

--2 words: Circus Maximus

--would have probably never gotten the chance to SIT DOWN and watch a metal show live without fear of getting kicked in the face

--would be gambling my vacation time on lesser quality metal tours instead of KNOWING for a FACT that PPUSA will go down around the same time every year in the same venue every time (we are habitual creatures after all...)

--wouldn't have found this forum, populated by some people just like me who love this stuff and, even though I've never met any of you guys in person (that will change this year), you make me feel at home here.

I don't know what else there is to say. I'm here to stay and I'm forever grateful...

Later,
Dave

I wouldn't have seen the greatest vocal performance in progpower history aka Michele Luppi :D