The MANILLA ROAD thread

^^^ Bummer, I'd have paid 46 in a heartbeat for it, I haven't checked on ebay for awhile on these, going to have to do so again!

OK... so I finally spun up Crystal Logic. I think I made it through a minute or two. The vocals just aren't my thing. And when I don't like a vocalist, there's no point in me proceeding.

My question is, have his vocals evolved much over the years? Should I bother with Voyager, for instance?

Zod -
The vocals are an acquired taste.
Mark Shelton definitely has that strong nasly tone that either you like or you do not. Over the past few albums, they brought their roadie into the fold to handle more of their harsher vocal lines.

If you wanted to give newer Manilla Road a shot, I would recommend GATES OF FIRE over Voyager.

If you wanted to give newer Manilla Road a shot, I would recommend GATES OF FIRE over Voyager.
Cool. I'll try that one.

I've come to find, that there's just no such thing as an acquired taste for me when it comes to vocals. While it definitely holds true of certain bands, genres, etc., for me, vocalists are always instant. I may develop an even deeper appreciation for a vocalist as I become more familiar, but I've never gone from disliking someone to liking them.

Manilla Road is one of my favorite metal bands. I have debating getting a tattoo of the skull for years now. I'm partial to 'Crystal Logic' myself.
Jasonic you should check out my Overlord release it is comparable to Manilla Road. The first thing I ever read about the band said the same thing.

Cool. I'll try that one.

I've come to find, that there's just no such thing as an acquired taste for me when it comes to vocals. While it definitely holds true of certain bands, genres, etc., for me, vocalists are always instant. I may develop an even deeper appreciation for a vocalist as I become more familiar, but I've never gone from disliking someone to liking them.

Oh totally. I mean, us old timers know what we like and what we don't.
No sense in trying to force yourself to like something.

Though I will say some bands just take a while to click, ya know.

Like when I first heard CIRITH UNGOL, I was like, "Holy weird vocals!!!"

Oh totally. Took me a while to get into them to be honest.
I started out with their first one, and took a few months before I bothered with the rest of the catalog, but I am glad I did.

BTW - I went to your site J., do you have any OVerlord samples?

They have some great stuff for sure! Mark Shelton is an amazing guitarist.

When OVERLORDE performed our official reunion show at POWERMAD V in August 2001, we were honored to share the stage with MANILLA ROAD. I made sure I got a picture of the "two Marks" after the show. Mark "The Shark" and myself...

overlorde_15.jpg

Backstage Saturday night after the show.

Left to Right: Karl Hiller, Mark Shelton (Manilla Road), The Tink, M.E. (Overlorde)

I've always known I needed to get into MR. I finally made the dive head first into their discography, and they're rapidly becoming a favorite. Now I have some opinions on what they have to offer.

Invasion:
This is some early, early stuff. You can see hints of what the band would eventually become, but this is a completely different band than it was just two albums later. For the most part, this is hard rock not too far removed from Blue Oyster Cult and other type bands. But lyrically, you can see that Mark was already a big nerd (which is great for metal bands, of course!), and that all it took was to embrace heavier music and they'd become classic.

Metal:
Couldn't imagine a more appropriate title for this album, as this is when the band decided to play, well, Metal! This is heavier than Invasion, and has less meandering guitar sections, and more focused songs. It actually is one of my favorite MR albums, if for anything the song Cage of Mirrors, which is insanely awesome and very catchy.

Crystal Logic:
Yes, motherfucking yes! Once the music on this album starts, it never stops being awesome. "Necropolis" is just one of the best heavy metal songs ever. Ever. And I hated it the first time I heard it, waaaaay back before I gave this band a decent chance. But now, when I listen to Crystal Logic, I likely listen to Necropolis like 3 times in a row.

Open the Gates:
This is probably where Manilla Road really hit on the sound and epic elements that characterize their sound even today. This is a concept album about Authurian myth. And it fucking smokes.

So I actually started with these early albums then worked my way randomly through the rest of their discography. They have some great material, on every album, but it's not always consistent. Courts of Chaos is a bit hard to get into, but it has one of my FAAVORITE songs: "A touch of Madness."

The only album I don't own: The Deluge: this is likely the hardest album to find. And I just never downloaded it. I have the edition of Out of the Abyss that has the "Roadkill" album on it, with some Deluge cuts, and they're pretty awesome.

Atlantis Rising is probably the album that starts the "new" era of Manilla Road. Honestly, it's not my favorite. I think they waited to kick it up for Spiral Castle, that album is a monster. I probably listen to it second most, beside Crystal Logic.

Gates of Fire is like a Virgin Steele album without the stupid keyboards. It's a concept album with 3 trilogy stories. And it's long as hell. But heavy as hell too. It might take a while to get through it, but the album takes you on a trip.

Voyager: I actually hadn't listened to it until recently. Like all MR road albums, it's kind of a grower, so I don't think this one has set in, yet. But I can say this: the lyrics are fucking cool (like they always are), and it doesn't seem like the band has aged a bit.

Mystification is probably my second fav MR, behind Crystal Logic.

Courts of Chaos is stellar too.

Spiral Castle is only so-so, IMHO.

They REALLY redeemed themselves with Gates of Fire.

Voyager unfortunately was 50/50 as well.

New one should be out next year.

Manilla Road are playing a hometown show on November 13 at the Port of Wichita club. I called the place to confirm that they're scheduled, and it is so. About a 3 hour drive from me. Would be cool if any other midwestern PP peeps were there!

Yep, I knew about this for a while.
It's all over Facebook, if you are friends with any of the MR guys on there.

If you go, please post all the usuals (Pics, review, setlist, etc.)
Also, if they have any shirts for sale, I would gladly pay you for it.

Don't have a camera other than my phone, but I'll review the show, hopefully grab a setlist, and see what merch they have. Hey man, if you want a shirt let me know what size you are and I'll scope it out.