The no digital camera rule.....

Dodens Grav said:
And who are these bands that won't get their pictures taken? He won't say.

Of course not. That would be insane. Your statement truly shows that you do not understand the business side of things.

And to clarify, it's not a picture issue. The issue is that you cannot tell digital cameras from recording devices without the use of the CIA. I have had to issue warnings to five different people on E-bay this year alone for selling boots of the show. Flash photography is still allowed.

Glenn H.

I can't wait to download bootlegs from this upcoming ProgPower. That's really all that's left to say.

To be honest, I don't disagree with you, I was just providing a counterargument to an otherwise lop-sided debate. I still support bootlegs, but not at the expense of an inferior performance lineup. Of course, I don't like the majority of these bands, but that's a non-issue since you'll be selling out anyway, right? :)

Dodens Grav said:
To be honest, I don't disagree with you, I was just providing a counterargument to an otherwise lop-sided debate. I still support bootlegs, but not at the expense of an inferior performance lineup. Of course, I don't like the majority of these bands, but that's a non-issue since you'll be selling out anyway, right? :)

Let's hope so or I'll make it open season for digital cameras. :Smug:

I appreciate the civil debate and hope you continue to hang around. I started to comment on your avatar, but thought better of it. I figure the squirrel nuts would have made it to easy for you to throw it back at me. :D

Glenn H.

I totally understand the ban- it pisses me off to see material sold on ebay etc. where people make money out of the effort that bands put into their music!!!

You can always have the pics from the event that official photographers take from the performances. It might be an idea to have a photographer present at the signing session- then you get good quality and can get your pics through the internet. This would have to bee free of charge ofcourse.
This also cleares the trouble with the line getting too long because someones camera is not working when they are up for their turn to have their pic with the bands....

See if we think about this- we can come up with some solutions and keep everybody happy- I am sure we can work it out.

Met-Al said:
I also feel the need to respond to Barking Pumpkin again, as I wonder about this guy sometimes.

Thanks for your concern. :)

Pumpkin, if you have such a big problem with the way the festival is handled (i.e., not enough ridiculously obscure avant-garde bands on the bill,

Ulver are one of the biggest bands from Norway, certainly bigger than Pagans Mind, Circus Maximus, Ark, and probably even Conception since they're not active anymore, if that's who you're referring to. Do I seriously think they would do well or should be booked for Prog-Power? No. And please name a "ridiculously obscure avant-garde band" that I mention frequently. I'm sure a good bit of the bands I like would have been more well known here before March 2005 than Conception.

no use of digital cameras), I highly suggest you put your money where your mouth is. In fact, don't even put over $100,000 into a whole festival. Just book one band for one show. Try booking Ulver in your hometown for a one-night only, "evening with" sort of show, and come back to tell us how little frustration you had with the affair.

I don't have problems with how the festival runs, and you've misinterpreted me if you think I do. Glenn does a great job running a highly efficient festival, probably one of the best organized in the United States. No matter what I think of them, he picks bands that the majority of attendees like. I think it's quite obnoxious of bands to be so adamantly against bootlegging, especially when they insist on no digital cameras for their fans, and then want to remain anonymous about it. If you're going to be an asshole, be a loud asshole, not a quiet one. ;) I also think/hope that the digital camera issue will be resolved in a way that is agreeable for the fans who care about digital cameras and for the bands who care about them oh-so-much in a different way. :loco:

Again, personally I don't really care about the cameras. I'm not a bootlegger. We don't have a digital camera. I got a disposable camera to bring this year and didn't even care enough to take it inside the venue. I also see Glenn's position becuase now he's getting all this flak because of something he has to do for the bands. Hope it will get worked out.

I'm really tired of the "if you have problems why don't you do it better?" argument. I didn't say "f-you Glenn." Why are you giving me the lecture?

jaimek said:
I've taken photos at Trans-Siberian Orchestra, which plays at arenas. I did have a guard stop me and check that my camera was not a video camera, but he let me continue taking photos.

They have varied by venue, it looks like. For their Atlanta gigs I think they've been 50% cameras allowed and not-allowed.

TSO is also a bit 'cooler' than yer basic average touring band: after all, how many national acts announce their post-show autograph sessions during the show itself, and then set up a seemingly half-mile long buncha tables so everyone can autograph afterwards? :D

After reading this whole thread from the beginning, I cannot but wonder, how digital cameras can become an issue. Here in Europe you can take one with you in most gigs, concerts and big festivals without any trouble and shoot as much pics as you want. There are concerts where no cameras, whatsoever are allowed in, but for a reason, like when the band is filming the concert themselves and don't want flashes spoiling it.
All they usually care at doors and gates are camcorders and recording devices like minidisks, and the security has no problems, not even at big festivals with tens of thoudsands of people, in dealing with persons who try to get those in. (Every place has a deposit for customers' belongings at the door.) Then again, pro class SLRs are allowed only with a photopass. Some old tradition, I guess?
Usually it is not bands but their record labels, especially the American labels, who are so concerned about bootlegs. Some venues here do have their own restrictions for photoshoot undepending on the band's will.

Yet, I have to wonder, where is the market for crappy bootlegs shot with a digital still camera. The statement about bands loosing money because of bootlegs is all BS. You can get those clips free on the web, so there's not a single moron left willing to pay someone for s*it quality. Not here, I can tell you. European bands and most labels here seem to know it. Even American bands are happy to play in Europe in front of hundreds of digicams, but then deny their fans from shooting pics at their domestic gigs.

If you think about it, there is no way you can make a decent sound recording with an average still camera with mono sound, even if capable of unlimited video recording. (none under $500 have unlimited video or stereo) I have a higher class digital camera with 12x (48x) zoom and inbuilt stereo mics but no jack for external mics, which makes it quite worthless for serious sound recording and thus for bootlegging. I have had it with me at gigs, festivals and concerts from Iron Maiden to local bands and it never was questioned when I shot pics.

So, a serious question: Who is behind making an issue about bootlegging with digital still cameras at concerts and why? Not the bands, they know it better.

You're missing the point.

Nowadays, they're integrating video cameras with still cameras. You can buy a regular camera that can take video and video cameras that can take still pics. And it's becoming increasingly harder to determine which is which. People are sneaking in the video cameras into the show. That's the issue.

We've got a few people who aren't reading the thread and just dropping in.

People.

Start at the beginning.

It's like you're all coming in the room at the end of a movie and asking, "OOOH! What's happened so far? Nevermind I'll just watch it from here, I'm sure I didn't miss any of the good parts anyways..."