THEOCRACY-Mirror Of Souls

Instead of following the trend of the week (e.g. Christian Black Metal, Christian Death Metal) why don't these bands develop their own sound, their own identity? I guess religion has a tendency to hinder creativity.

when I heard it first heard of the genre of CHRISTIAN BLACK METAL in 1999 or so, I laughed, I'm like that's an Oxy Moron if I've ever heard of one, later I'm told this description has been updated by the term "UNBLACK" metal.

But this surely doesn't pertain to the new THEOCRACY album which is melodic metal full of harmonies and majestic metal anthems. Yes Matt wares his faith on his sleeve, but that seems to be what he feel he wants to share with the world. If you don't want to hear it you don't have too, lot's of other bands to enjoy, but for those that don't mind or even appreciate it, this is a worthy album.
:headbang:

...all I can say is, Matt Smith can write a badass metal song! I bought this disc from LaserCD recently, but just now have gotten around to listening to it. I liked Matt's "solo" album as I like to call it, but now that there is a full band present makes all the difference in the world. Great job guys! :headbang:

~Brian~

Not blocks, hinders. If you're not a musician first and a christian second, the mindset seems to be "How can I write a soundtrack to my beliefs?"

I don't understand this argument at all.
Are you telling me that Black Metal artists are not writing a soundtrack to their belief that they hate Christianity?
I feel there is definite double standard.
For a modern example how can someone like Godsmack (wiccan beliefs) be played on rock radio when "similar Christian band" is not. Are they not both religious in their own way?
I remember back when Stryper was big on MTV, I called my local rock radio station to hear "Free", and the DJ told me they didn't play religious music...yet Danzig came on the next few songs down. Why is ok for satanists to have their music on rock radio and spread that message, when it's not ok for Christians to spread their view?
That's just stupid IMO. It's chastising Christianity for no reason other than it's Christian in nature.

Are you telling me that Black Metal artists are not writing a soundtrack to their belief that they hate Christianity?
For a modern example how can someone like Godsmack (wiccan beliefs) be played on rock radio when "similar Christian band" is not. Are they not both religious in their own way?
I remember back when Stryper was big on MTV, I called my local rock radio station to hear "Free", and the DJ told me they didn't play religious music...yet Danzig came on the next few songs down. Why is ok for satanists to have their music on rock radio and spread that message, when it's not ok for Christians to spread their view?
That's just stupid IMO. It's chastising Christianity for no reason other than it's Christian in nature.

Bingo - great post. Completely agree.

Not blocks, hinders. If you're not a musician first and a christian second, the mindset seems to be "How can I write a soundtrack to my beliefs?"

Well, I'm not trying to argue with you, but rarely will you ever hear "Satanic" lyrics on the radio. It just doesn't go over too well with the mainstream audience. :lol: In addition, Christian beliefs are not "popular" with our mainstream culture either. In other words, what the media and elites think we "should" hear/believe. Hollywood is the best example of this. It's the "in" thing to do to bash Christian beliefs, Jesus Christ and conservative principles. With that said, if you step on anyone else's toes, you'll be tared and feathered on Hollywood Blvd., figuratively speaking of course. Hollywood makes me want to :puke:

~Brian~

...all I can say is, Matt Smith can write a badass metal song! I bought this disc from LaserCD recently, but just now have gotten around to listening to it. I liked Matt's "solo" album as I like to call it, but now that there is a full band present makes all the difference in the world. Great job guys! :headbang:

~Brian~
This was my album of the year for 2008, easily!:worship:rock::kickass:

It doesn't much matter as the lyrics are incomprehensible, in another language, or both.

There are double standards everywhere you look, especially in religion.

First off, Godsmack's lyrics are rarely about their beliefs. Conversely, by its very definition, a "Christian band" is one whose lyrics are predominantly about their beliefs. Second, Rock radio wants to represent itself as being controversial and rebelious, the type of thing that pisses parents off, etc. "Christian bands" don't meet those requirements. Why not just ask Rock radio to play the biggest hits of the Benny Goodman Orchestra?

I remember back when Stryper was big on MTV, I called my local rock radio station to hear "Free", and the DJ told me they didn't play religious music...yet Danzig came on the next few songs down.
Ironically, when Danzig was popular, I called a Christian radio station and asked them to play Danzig. They told me they don't play "the devil's music". :loco:

Why is ok for satanists to have their music on rock radio and spread that message, when it's not ok for Christians to spread their view?
Point me to a song, currently played on Rock radio, that openly and expressly promotes Satanic beliefs?

Actually, there are plenty of reasons not to play Christian music on the radio. Most people don't want to be preached to. Most people don't want to be told their going to hell because they don't believe X, Y and Z. But more importantly, Christian Rock isn't on Rock radio for the same reason Black Metal isn't... it doesn't generate advertising revenue.

And on another note... why should they play Christian music on Rock radio? Should they play Muslim music? Jewish music? Hindu music? If a Rock station played "Christian music", would they not then have to play music that represented every religious belief, as not to be seen as favoring one particular set of beliefs? If you want to hear Christian music, turn on a Christian radio station or pop in a CD by your favorite Christian band. Personally, I'm partial to Faith + 1.

709_Christian_Rock_Hard---Album_Cover.jpg

Zod

I've been spinning Mirror of Souls while at work this morning and it still kicks my butt! Lyrics aside, from an epic, power metal perspective, this is one killer release! :headbang: The combination of speed, crunch, and vocal melodies are godly.....pardon the pun. :p

~Brian~

This is a killer CD. I can't believe how much Matt's songwriting has improved in just one album. Although I do love the first CD, everything just gels perfectly on Mirror of Souls.

This is a killer CD. I can't believe how much Matt's songwriting has improved in just one album. Although I do love the first CD, everything just gels perfectly on Mirror of Souls.

It's funny that Matt once said that Edguy was one of his main influences. Maybe they should go take some refresher courses from Matt considering the last pile of junk they've thrown at us!

~Brian~

Although I was once a huge fan, STRYPER lyrics are a bit on the basic side. Michael has said before that sometimes he writes them right when he's about to sing them...you can tell. Musically & vocally? They kill...

Anyway, I did not care for the first THEOCRACY disc, but this new one is quite good.

Although I was once a huge fan, STRYPER lyrics are a bit on the basic side. Michael has said before that sometimes he writes them right when he's about to sing them...you can tell. Musically & vocally? They kill...

Anyway, I did not care for the first THEOCRACY disc, but this new one is quite good.

Pelata, with all due respect, please don't lump Theocracy in with Stryper. Theocracy is light years ahead, talent wise. It just drives me nuts when respectable metal bands get compared to other bands such as Stryper. That's like comparing Dream Theater to Journey. I used to be a huge Stryper fan back in the day, but I just can't go there any longer.

~Brian~