THEOCRACY-Mirror Of Souls

Pelata, with all due respect, please don't lump Theocracy in with Stryper. Theocracy is light years ahead, talent wise. It just drives me nuts when respectable metal bands get compared to other bands such as Stryper. That's like comparing Dream Theater to Journey. I used to be a huge Stryper fan back in the day, but I just can't go there any longer.

~Brian~

#1 - I wasn't lumping anyone in with anyone. That's why I separated my statements. I was commenting on the STRYPER stuff, then I commented on the THEOCRACY stuff.

#2 - "Talent" is sublective. Michael Sweet is a ridiculously talented individual, he just expresses it in shorter, simpler songs. He's an amazing guitarist (75%+ of STRYPER's solos are Michael) and an outstanding singer (IMO, he's a better singer than Matt...but Matt is definitely very good). You can compare the musical styles, but talent is something that, again, is very subjective. Just because someone writes shorter/simpelr songs doesn't mean they're incapable of playing more complex material...they just choose not to.

Just because someone writes shorter/simpelr songs doesn't mean they're incapable of playing more complex material...they just choose not to.

I'm not going to get into a "pissin" contest with you about which is better. With that said, maybe Stryper should try some "complex" material and move away from the doo wop, cookie cutter junk like on the last disc. They might be taken a little more seriously. (shrug)

~Brian~

I'm not going to get into a "pissin" contest with you about which is better. With that said, maybe Stryper should try some "complex" material and move away from the doo wop, cookie cutter junk like on the last disc. They might be taken a little more seriously. (shrug)

~Brian~

:lol:

I'm not trying to get into a contest with you...simply playing "point, counterpoint". You like Prog stuff...I get it. I do too. I'm just saying that a person's perception of talent is unique to that person.

I think the New theocracy is Good, its Alot better than the first one, I liked the first one, but now they actually have a complete band and i can tell by the music and songwriting, It really rocks I can't compare it to Stryper, because it a prog album stryper aint prog, but they Rock too live, Theocracy rocked real well live too back 2 years or so ago at the preprog party they had, I think theocracy will be a band to contend with if they keep improving like they are.. I have been playing the newest one alot the first one i have not played but 3 times most all the way through, so i feel they will keep improving, and i bet their live show is really good now..And thats my 2 cents i guess LOL:headbang:

I think the New theocracy is Good, its Alot better than the first one, I liked the first one, but now they actually have a complete band and i can tell by the music and songwriting, It really rocks I can't compare it to Stryper, because it a prog album stryper aint prog, but they Rock too live, Theocracy rocked real well live too back 2 years or so ago at the preprog party they had, I think theocracy will be a band to contend with if they keep improving like they are.. I have been playing the newest one alot the first one i have not played but 3 times most all the way through, so i feel they will keep improving, and i bet their live show is really good now..And thats my 2 cents i guess LOL:headbang:
They are getting better all the time. Can't wait to see 'em again in September, if not sooner!

One thing I'm curious about...since a large portion of 'power metal' involves singing about dragons and unicorns and trolls on a world where a dark sun never rises and the mythical hero heads into the abyss with a shining sword (i.e. mythical/fantasy themes fresh from some intense D&D playing), why is it when a band sings about something they consider real (i.e. their faith), they are considered illegit? Alternatively, why couldn't someone who didn't believe similarly see a Christian-themed power metal band as yet another type of mythical theme to place within the pantheon of other mythical themes?

---Prem

Good band musically, although not as many are into them as there possibly should be. Lyrically, I don't pay so much attention to the words as I do the music, so just call me wacky. Hopefully these guys will make it to the next level. They're certainly talented enough.

new album is in the works and im pretty freaking excited, will be trying to bring them back to FL sometime in the future!!!

Isnt the invisible monk song supposed to be on the new one?

heh heh, yes, 'Nailed' is supposed to be on the next record. For those who haven't witnessed this song performed live, the chorus of backing vocals - similar to a choir of monks - are piped in. Early on the running joke was that the 'invisible monks' had joined the band on stage. :p

heh heh, yes, 'Nailed' is supposed to be on the next record. For those who haven't witnessed this song performed live, the chorus of backing vocals - similar to a choir of monks - are piped in. Early on the running joke was that the 'invisible monks' had joined the band on stage. :p

yes this song was soo epic live!

I think Matt's lyrics are tame in comparison to 80's Christian metal. I was involved with that scene for many years and it just got ridiculous and uncreative. I personally feel that Theocracy has done it properly and without all the uber-cheese of old. If you feel it, you should write it. I do understand why General zod would feel the way he does though, as overly zealous preachy lyrics grind my gears.so we'll just agree to disagree on Theocracy.:)

Sorry to get off topic everyone, but Zane "Grind My Gears"
that WAS AN AWESOME Family Guy reference bro!!:lol::kickass:

One thing I'm curious about...since a large portion of 'power metal' involves singing about dragons and unicorns and trolls on a world where a dark sun never rises and the mythical hero heads into the abyss with a shining sword (i.e. mythical/fantasy themes fresh from some intense D&D playing), why is it when a band sings about something they consider real (i.e. their faith), they are considered illegit? Alternatively, why couldn't someone who didn't believe similarly see a Christian-themed power metal band as yet another type of mythical theme to place within the pantheon of other mythical themes?

It's a great point. Same goes for music about evil and demons. People say they just don't like Christian lyrics because they are silly or whatnot, but on some level it obviously offends them.

And I just don't get how Zod can describe Theocracy as preachy. Stryper was preachy. Theocracy is about Matt's personal relationship with God. I don't think there's a single Theocracy song that tells the listener what they should be doing.

It's a great point. Same goes for music about evil and demons. People say they just don't like Christian lyrics because they are silly or whatnot, but on some level it obviously offends them.

And I just don't get how Zod can describe Theocracy as preachy. Stryper was preachy. Theocracy is about Matt's personal relationship with God. I don't think there's a single Theocracy song that tells the listener what they should be doing.

Adaher, lately I've decided I don't respect bands that proclaim to be Christian then go around trying to hide their beliefs. Alot of non-Christians don't feel comfortable hearing about Christianity, so they'd rather the person/band just hide it. I say, if you don't like it, then don't listen to it. That's how I choose to handle black metal. I simply don't listen to it.

I don't feel like Matt's music is "preachy", but at the same time, everyone should be able to tell where he stands with his beliefs. He just has a different approach to his writing than your average Christian music writer. At least that's my opinion on it anyway.

~Brian~

I've noticed that most Christian bands are a lot more subtle these days. Theocracy certainly isn't, but it's not like Stryper and some of those older Christian bands that actually did preach at you.

Plus a lot of bands that aren't overtly Christian seem to have Christian overtones in some songs.

I also did the Gaia kick that some bands are on, that's cool too. I enjoy hearing about bands' beliefs.

Although the greatest religious metal album ever is Gods of Fire- Hannukah Metal. Not necessarily for the song quality, but for the lyrics. You haven't lived until you've heard the quest for the latke.