There should be a Prog Power Texas

sh0kr0k said:
Hell, looks like I'm getting out-voted on the venue & city :-\
Nayyyyyyy we will find the best place to have it and more than likely it will be there.

Both of these clubs are moderately smaller than Earthlink. For instance, Bodom, Trivium and Dragonforce each passed through Meridian on their recent tour. Meridian has two rooms, one is considerably smaller than the other. Essentially, a main stage and side stage. FBI is a one stage club (if I'm not mistaken). There are actually two FBI rock clubs in town, but you obviously can't do 'main stage/side stage' if they're miles away from each other. One day at the Meridian would probably be a better idea, for you could have a constant rotation between rooms, which would allow for longer set times and more time to sound check. Plus, if there's a band you don't care for, just go to the other room and get to the front.

If anybody is seriously considering making this thing happen, PM me because I know two fantastic sound guys that I can arrange to do this thing for reasonable prices. Since I'm in a Houston-based prog band as well, I can also be of great assistance in promotion and logistics.

Bryan316 said:
How big is FBI's? What's their patron capacity? Would this work as a one night/day festival, or should it be done over two nights? You gotta consider, you'll want each band to have more than the usual bar-night 30-minute set. How many bands would be reasonable?

FBI's could probably hold about 350-400 people (disclaimer: I haven't seen the new location that opened this month, its supposed to be a little bit bigger).

The Curtain Club in Deep Ellum - Dallas, TX
http://www.curtainclub.com/

We just did a live recording of Rikets at Curtain Club and
it turned out very well! The production value is amazing!
The club has everything we need and it's the heartbeat of Deep Ellum.

Second choice:
The Galaxy Club also in Deep Ellum
http://www.galaxyclub.com/

This is a big venue right down the street from Curtain Club and plays
host to a number of killer shows like Incantation, Bodog Battle of the
Bands, and Rikets/Mower! Big clean venue with a large stage, right in
the midst of Deep Ellum.

Logistically though, because the majority of the bands in Texas are in either Houston (Outworld, All Too Human, Eden's Twilight, Six Minute Century, Stride)or Austin (Meyvn, Ethereal Architect), I think Houston is the better choice for the show.

But if they are interested and involved in this most of these bands would travel to be there, i am sure.

So for right now we are just getting the ground work done and laying a foundation, and seeing what the interest is, but i agree with Tammy if the venue is bigger and is able to support it logisticly then why not the Dallas area.

It'll all work out. If the majority of the bands we want to use are in Houston, we shoudl keep it closer to where their fanbase is. But if we spread out and bring in some other bands from all around the state (or even outside of Texas) then the city isn't predetermined by anything other than the venue being capable of sustaining our event in a large-enough city.

Since the Texas scene isn't dominated by Progressive or Power metal bands, should we branch into other metal genres like Powerfest does? Unless we have an immense budget to import bands into Texas, we ought to consider heavy metal, death metal, and even some rock bands that draw well. I can tell you already, some of the best bands I've seen in TX are Shadow Reichenstein, Vallejo, and Somatik - none of which fit into Power/Prog metal but are all excellent bands to showcase!

I've good sources telling me that Dallas is a better metal scene. But... that also depends on the bands.

I'd say to bring in non-prog and non-power bands if others in this rag-tag collection here think they'd at least fit in well. Like... pay less attention to the genre, and more attention to the quality and skill level of the bands. I'll take an old school thrash metal band any day of the week, as long as they don't suck! For example, I don't think the guys from Overloaded would fit in a prog-power format, but they sure would entertain a metal crowd beyond a shadow of a doubt! Tamz, did you manage to catch one of their shows before you skeedaddled out of town?

I'd say a good blackboard checklist for y'all to work on, would be:

1: Compile everyone's info and contacts

2: Compile all current band suggestions

3: Compile all venue suggestions

4: Spread all this info amongst the Texan Crew so everyone gets familiar and maybe has a chance to investigate the venues, hear all the bands' available material and brew on the concept for a week.

5: Plan some meetups AT the venues between whoever has available time, and just go to the clubs and sip a beer and take mental notes about what you like/don't like at each club.

6: Those band members who are following this page, share the idea with your fellow bandmates. Make sure all your crews would be down with this little endeavour.

sh0kr0k said:
It'll all work out. If the majority of the bands we want to use are in Houston, we shoudl keep it closer to where their fanbase is. But if we spread out and bring in some other bands from all around the state (or even outside of Texas) then the city isn't predetermined by anything other than the venue being capable of sustaining our event in a large-enough city.

Since the Texas scene isn't dominated by Progressive or Power metal bands, should we branch into other metal genres like Powerfest does? Unless we have an immense budget to import bands into Texas, we ought to consider heavy metal, death metal, and even some rock bands that draw well. I can tell you already, some of the best bands I've seen in TX are Shadow Reichenstein, Vallejo, and Somatik - none of which fit into Power/Prog metal but are all excellent bands to showcase!

I personally wouldn't be as interested if the regular old rock bands that play all the time around here (ie Vallejo) were part of the package. But this festival isn't just about me. ;)

There are already some death and black metal fests around....Destroying Texas Fest was just this past weekend at FBI in Houston.

LOL! Fuck no, I'll just throw the grenade in the room and let y'all clean up the body parts!

I'd love to make a trip to Texas. We'll see how finances go, seeing as how I'm on my way to Vegas next weekend and that's gonna be a pretty good hit to the wallet AND the vacation days I've got left! But I'd absolutely try my best...

...if you could get Vision Divine to headline...