Thoughts on Pagan Fest, Dimmu Borgir and Gigantour

I talked to Heri about it at the show and he said the reason for the short set was when the label got them on the tour, it was the best they could negotiate as far as money goes, but he said Tyr will be back later this year (September/October) with a longer set.

And Shaq, i can understand what you're saying and I'm not saying you can't have your opinion about the set, not to mention I wasn't at the same show. I'm saying that luckily they weren't that way when i caught them. My apologies for coming off like I'm trying to pick a fight, it was late when i made my last post :lol:

And Shaq, i can understand what you're saying and I'm not saying you can't have your opinion about the set, not to mention I wasn't at the same show. I'm saying that luckily they weren't that way when i caught them. My apologies for coming off like I'm trying to pick a fight, it was late when i made my last post :lol:

And my post was before I'd finished my first coffee of the morning so perhaps a little from both columns :p

Regarding Pagan Fest USA...

For what it's worth, I thought Eluveitie kicked major ass. Tyr was okay, but somehow didn't gel with me or the audience. The crowd appeared listless during Tyr's set and more than one person commented they didn't like the band. Turisas was a huge surprise and a lot of fun.

Regarding Gigantour...

I thought High on Fire and Job For a Cowboy blew chunks. Children of Bodom was okay, although Alexi wasn't really into connecting with the audience. He was more into spitting, shredding, and cursing the cold weather and the venue, both of which he said sucked.

In Flames was totally killer. I posted a mini review of their Gigantour set on the In Flames Forum. I gained a lot of respect for In Flames that night. The weather at DTE in Detroit was so cold that we could see Anders' breath. (It was about 42 degrees, rainy, windy and bone-chilling damp.) He told the audience, "I'm freezing my ass off. And I'm from Sweden."

Despite a fan jumping the barrier and grabbing Anders during "Move Through Me," and in spite of the really lousy weather, In Flames put on a great show. Very professional. Very open and friendly with the audience. Megadeth, on the other hand, was incredibly lousy. The vocals were buried. We couldn't hear a thing Dave sang. If we hadn't been sitting in the fourth row, we wouldn't have known he even was singing (and, for the record, he appeared to be NOT singing most of the time...barely moving his lips). I don't now if he had laryngitis or was trying to pull a Britney and lip-sync the show.

Between the two gigs we saw (Pagan Fest USA and Gigantour), I'd say our favorite, hands down, was Pagan Fest USA. The venue (The Pearl Room) was intimate, and the bands were exciting, connecting in a big way with the audience.

I wish I was closer to MegaDave and could've yelled out Panzer songs, but I started feeling like shit at my Gigantour show and had to move back and sit down :(

Regarding Pagan Fest USA...

For what it's worth, I thought Eluveitie kicked major ass. Tyr was okay, but somehow didn't gel with me or the audience. The crowd appeared listless during Tyr's set and more than one person commented they didn't like the band. Turisas was a huge surprise and a lot of fun.

I was at the Pearl Room show for Paganfest also. I agree with your quick review. I like Tyr, but they came off as almost boring. I don't think it helped that they followed Eluveitie's high energy performance. I look forward to seeing them in the fall to see if I just caught an off night for the band.