to those of you who attended PP 2.0..

Well,

As much as I loved Evergrey at PP1 and PP2, Symphony X just ruled for me.

Their musical "style" is more in line with my heart, mind, and soul.

Evergrey rocks. They have energy and life and they are fun to listen to and watch but they cross my radar too much to the dark side to be a band I can listen to regularly.

Anyway, just my humble opinion.....

I love Evergrey, and their energy was great, but their sound was subpar. This had nothing to do with Evergrey's ability mind you, just a lame ass job by the sound people, who overall, had a less than stellar weekend. Tom's vocals were too low, his guitar was way too loud, and if Henrik Danhage's guitar was even plugged in, I'd be surprised. Although, to be fair to the sound folks, it may have just been where I was standing.

Regardless of the lack of quality sound, there were too many great performances to say that anyone blew anyone away.

Angel Dust kicked ass, Ark was phenomenal, Symphony X was brilliant, and Kamelot was mesmorizing.

GZ

If you had a problem with the sound, I truly believe it was where you were standing. I have had nothing but positive feedback regarding the system as I truly believe it is the best you are going to get for our genre outside of DT's show.

As for Evergrey, they had their own soundman. He also did Kamelot's sound that night. I can tell you from watching the videos of both that there is no noticable difference in the two.

Glenn H

Don't get me wrong... I thought that overall the sound, stage and the venue as a whole at PP 2.0, was absolutely killer. It was better than any I have seen in a venue of that size (by a wide margin), and I have been to a lot of shows. I only wish we had a venue like Earth Link Live here in NJ.

I am not completely surprised to learn that the sound issue I experienced with Evergrey was from my location. Definitely something I will keep in mind at 3.0.

My reference to the sound people having "a less than stellar weekend" may be a bit unfair, as the impetus for that comment really only revolved around a single incident. During one of Ark's songs, Tore was unable to get any auible sound out of his acoustic guitar. Though this hardly ruined Ark's performance for me, as they were utterly brilliant.

GZ

That was an equipment failure with Tore's personal gear. We knew about the potential of it happening during sound check earlier and warned him. He insisted on using his gear though.

Sometimes, it pays to listen to the stage crew as they actually know what they are talking about.

Glenn H.

Evergrey and Angel Dust stole the show in my opinion. I knew little of either band but walked away a fan. Symphony X, ARK and Balance Of Power were about what I was expecting. Altough I would have liked to see more of ARK and Balance Of Power. But I didn't care for Nightingale or Spiral Archetect. Just not my taste in music, I guess. The one band that bored me to death was Kamelot. This medieval style of music is just plain silly in my book. I know this style is popular and this band in particular due in part to Roy Khan but I much prefered him with Conception. In Kamelot, is skills are wasted.

OK I have the flame suit on now. :p

I was equally impressed with Evergrey also. I thought they were far and away the surprise of the weekend. Not only their performance on stage but their demeanor off the stage as well. Great bunch of guys. To me the disappointment was Symphony X but again it was a matter of taste. I thought all bands did a quality job. I heard the Nightingale CD before the show and thought the performance was pretty true to the CD. Angel Dust and Ark were two other bands that impressed me.

I do think that where you sat or stood made a difference in the sound quality. I didn't think it was as good when I stood by the fence up front compared to back in the seats.

John
Underground Zine Scene
http://www.geocities.com/zinescene.geo

Harvester-

LOL. You would think that these guys, who have been around as long as Tore, would know enough to listen to the pros. Oh well. It's a shame.

Question for ya... if Opeth does accept, that means you are probably gonna end up with a pit. If memory servers me correctly, there was no pit for any of the bands at the last show. Any idea how security might handle this?

zinescene-

That, along with what Glenn said, makes perfect sense. If I remember correctly, Evergrey was the only band for which I was against the fence for.

GZ

I honestly do not see Opeth as a "pit" type band. Furthermore, the folks that attend this are not your typical 15 year old goobers that do not know how to control themselves.

If you mosh, your ass is gone. No questions asked and no mercy given. It's that simple.

Glenn H.

I agree that there will definitely not be a pit for Opeth. Most people will probably just stand(and headbang, possibly). I, for one, think that moshing is ridiculous and doesn't allow one to enjoy the music. ProgPower is definitely not a festival for moshing...try Ozzfest. ;)

Well, as I'm 33, my pit days are long gone. Not that I was ever really a "pit person" to begin with. And I would completely agree with you, that this is generally an older, more mature crowd. But for what it's worth, I saw Opeth twice on their most recent tour, and they had a fairly sizable pit at both shows.

GZ

I was there as well Yes...Evergrey Rocked the house down...just like Tom told me in his interview. He said They were the shit and they were going to slay and they did!

However, let's not forget the incredible performances by Nightingale, Superior (their first US show ever) and SymphonyX. All 4 bands turned in incredible shows and had the crowd eating out of the palms of their hands!

I cannot WAIT for November 02 and ProgPower 3. Already saving my pennies now!

Coldie Mouse

Evergrey did kick ass. I was in no way trying to suggest otherwise. There were just so many amazing performances at that show, it was hard to say that any one band was so much better than the others.

The one thing that Evergrey did do better than any other band there was self-promotion. It seemed that for the two days leading up to the show, and the 2 show days, you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a member of Evergrey. They were everywhere; signing autographs, taking pictures, and drinking with their fans. By the time they went on stage, everyone felt like they knew them. More bands should take the opportunity to do this. It can do a lot to further your career. And while all the bands were accessible (you get a chance to meet everyone at these shows), and all the bands were very cool (not an ego in the bunch), Evergrey, Angel Dust, and Lance from BoP were the folks who just seemed to be just everywhere (or at least everywhere that I was) talking to folks and hanging out.

GZ

P.S. - one of the highlights of my week in GA was walking out of my room, and literally bumping into Tom Englund. I believe he had just gotten off the plane and was waiting for his manager to get them all checked in. None the less, he was still very cool, and took the time to chat with my wife and I.

I don't know-- personally, I felt the weekend was phenomenal with the variety and number of good performances, but Angel Dust *totally* blew me away, with Kamelot and ARK as close seconds. I found Symphony X to be a little boring (for me, personally-- not a big fan of their music) after about half an hour, but I thought technically their performance was great.

Greg, I recall seeing other people discussing the sound, and I would also agree that Glenn's assessment is right on the nose. I don't know how that works, but it does seem that up front was about the worst area for sound, tho I didn't really notice it being particularly bad at any point.

As far as pits ago, well, I guess dem's the breaks. I don't think many people will be too heart-broken over that missed opportunity, anyway. :)

Shaye

It's been my experience that most venues will have better sound in the middle to back of the room. This is usually because they'll pan instruments to each side to get a clearer mix. For instance you might barely hear the solo from a guitarist on the left side if you're on the right since he's panned to the left. Having said that, I wasn't at PP 2.0 and am still trying to cope. All set for this year though!