Top 10 of 2010 so far

Liking the new Unruly Child. Catchy stuff!

Mmm... I disagree. I love first Unruly Child album but this new one has been a disappointing for me. 2 or 3 good songs and rather average stuff in my opinion.

By the way, I´m still astonished on how Marcie Free sings in the album. She sings more "like a man" than when she was Mark Free :yow:

Ylem by Dark Fortress basically rocked my world, everything else I heard was pretty much all old school stuff as far 2010 goes.

Just picked up Joe Elliot's Down N Outz. Basically Joe and the rest of The Quireboys playing Mott The Hoople related songs. Very cool. Elliot's voice really suits the music and it's nice to see someone "modernizing" Mott's stuff.

01 Carach Angren - Death Came Through A Phantom Ship

02 In Mourning - Monolith

03 Melechesh - The Epigenesis

04 Dark Fortress - Ylem

05 Immortal - The Seventh Date Of Blasrykh

06 Cephalic Carnage - Misled By Certainty

07 Volbeat - Beyond Hell / Aboven Heaven

08 Sadist - Seasons In Silence

09 Jack Slater - Extinction Aftermath

10 Accept - Blood Of The Nations

Not much old school here. Sorry about that but I can't help myself. ;)

Surprise of the year for me, is Dutch symphonic black metal band Carach Angren who's album kicked my ass completely unexpected. Writing a concept album with strong and haunting lyrics, literally, is an accomplishment in and of itself, illustrating it with some of the most amazing songs I heard this year is simply mind blowing.

In Mourning, my number two could just as well have been my number one. Carach Angren won by a very small margin. Those of you who like Opeth will find 'Monolith' a real surprise even if it is a bit more extreme, both vocal and music wise. It's a shame this band is so unknown because everything about this band is great; the lyrics are intelligent, the vocals are varied and very well done and the music is brilliant. I can't praise this, sadly very underrated, band enough.

On #3 the long awaited new Melechesh album. And it does not disappoint. Far Eastern melodies are being woven into black and speed metal riffs with great effectiveness. The result is one of the most atmospheric black metal albums I ever heard.

Dark Fortress delivers the goods with Ylem, a very impressive album. Hearing is believing. The band, headed by Triptykon guitarist V. Santura has been making a steady progression through the years incorporating more and more progressive moments and fast guitar solo's into their music. Tripycon fans should check this out.

All the other albums are there by indication. They could change position or even disappear from the list. I am pretty sure however about the first four albums. It's very unlikely that they will change.

I am aware that some of you can't stand black metal or technical death metal. So be it.

Vive la différence!

Vive la différence!

Vive indeed. Not a single band I like :tickled::wave:

I'm kind of infatuated with Heathen's return so I haven't demoted yet even if I probably like more some other albums of the list. Wuthering Heights also kicked me hard with "Salt", also I want to remark Dream Evil coming with a stronger effort than it's predecessor (than many bands seem to lost nowdays), Poisonblack with a neat album sometimes hitting on prog (pretty cult for a goth band) and the very cool Armored Saint return too.

1. Heathen – “The Evolution Of Chaos”
  2. Wuthering Heights – “Salt”
  3. Enforcer – “Diamonds”
  4. White Wizzard – “Over The Top”
  5. Pretty Maids – “Pandemonium”
  6. Tarot – “Gravity Of Light”
  7. Armored Saint – “La Raza”
  8. Sabaton – “Coat Of Arms”
  9. Dream Evil – “In The Night”
  10. Poisonblack – “Of Rust And Bones”

I separate prog and non-metal as well as EPs from the main list, so I'm gonna give those on the end of year top ten thread.

Vive indeed. Not a single band I like :tickled::wave:

I thought you would like the Accept album, I guess I was wrong. :)

I'm kind of infatuated with Heathen's return so I haven't demoted yet even if I probably like more some other albums of the list. Wuthering Heights also kicked me hard with "Salt", also I want to remark Dream Evil coming with a stronger effort than it's predecessor (than many bands seem to lost nowdays), Poisonblack with a neat album sometimes hitting on prog (pretty cult for a goth band) and the very cool Armored Saint return too.

1. Heathen – “The Evolution Of Chaos”
  2. Wuthering Heights – “Salt”
  3. Enforcer – “Diamonds”
  4. White Wizzard – “Over The Top”
  5. Pretty Maids – “Pandemonium”
  6. Tarot – “Gravity Of Light”
  7. Armored Saint – “La Raza”
  8. Sabaton – “Coat Of Arms”
  9. Dream Evil – “In The Night”
  10. Poisonblack – “Of Rust And Bones”

I separate prog and non-metal as well as EPs from the main list, so I'm gonna give those on the end of year top ten thread.

Of your list I really like the Heathen album. It's a damn good album. White Wizzard are good too! And of course Sabaton is a great band. Live they kick so much ass!!

Good list buddy! :headbang:

Thus far the new Helloween and Firewind are quite good - particularly the latter. I'm reticent to call it Firewind's best to date, but it's pretty damn good. It only serves to confirm the clusterfuck that was the latest Ozzy album was not Gus's doing. :)

For my money, World of Fantasy would have been a better lead-off single for the new Helloween, but I guess Are You Metal was released to tell fans "hey, we're getting heavy on this one."

to tell fans "hey, we're getting heavy on this one."

Well this fan didn't noticed it :zombie:. I'm very skeptical about getting the new Helloween. I'm gonna go for Firewind definitively, it works for me.

Has anyone heard the new Slough Feg yet? I quite like it.

Also, I am a bit amazed that the new Volbeat album has not been discussed here. Has anyone heard that one?

Well this fan didn't noticed it :zombie:. I'm very skeptical about getting the new Helloween. I'm gonna go for Firewind definitively, it works for me.

Check this one out.

And yeah, after driving around with the new Firewind in my car this past weekend, it's a contender for album of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I donwloaded the album yesterday but hadn't been able to listen to it (and I'm not in a a hurry). Will give you my opinion later.

Has anyone heard the new Slough Feg yet? I quite like it.

Also, I am a bit amazed that the new Volbeat album has not been discussed here. Has anyone heard that one?

I didn´t hear it yet. "Ape uprising" isn´t the best Sloguh Feg album but I got great expectations with the new one.

Volbeat album is excellent. Maybe, it´s quite similar to the rest of the albums but they still sound fresh.