Top 13 metal vocalists

This is a nearly impossible category since there are so many different styles and different nuances that each vocalist brings. I'm basing my list of the guys and gals that give me chills and make the hair on my arms stand......

1. Geoff Tate - maybe not as strong as he was in his prime, but nobody could touch him in the RFO/Warning/OM era.

2. Rob Halford - the best metal "screamer".....I was never totally fond of his lower range, but when he got into his mid and upper range, he could shatter windows. Favorite era: British Steel/Vengeance/Defenders

3. Bruce Dickinson - I'm biased on this one since Maiden is my favorite band. The air raid vocals still get me.....plus, he may be the best "arena style" metal vocalist alive. Again, I'm partial. Favorite era: ALL!

4. Matt Barlow - In today's metal, Barlow kills. Power, finesse, range....he's got it. Most notable: Something Wicked and Alive in Athens....(no offense to Ripper, but I'll forever wonder how Matt would have sounded on The Glorious Burden...I know, I know - he's gone, move on Drew!!)

5. Ronnie James Dio - In many ways, he's the prototypical metal singer. For nearly 4 decades, he may be the one guy who has never had any of his skills diminished. He still sounds the same both live and in studio. Favorite era: tough one, but I love Holy Diver & Last In Line, with Mob Rules right behind....

6. Roy Khan - at the risk of sounding blasphemous and offending every old school Ryche fan (including myself), Khan is my "new Tate". Though not nearly as strong as Geoff (I know he has a lower register), I love his range and the way he "feels" what he is projecting. Much like Tate did in the aforementioned era, Khan is the one guy who moves me. (sorry, didn't really know how else to communicate that!) Favorite material: Karma/4th Legacy/Black Halo/Flow

7. Michael Sweet - this is kind of an odd choice, I know, but there was always something about Stryper I dug, and it was mostly because of Sweet's voice. If we are talking "singers", then I feel he has to be on my list. If you got past the look, the hair, the schmaltz of the 80's, etc., I think this guy was/is a fantastic vocalist. Though at times he tended to get too high up on his register (see: Honestly), for the most part, this guy could sing with the best of them. Favorite material: To Hell With The Devil/Soldiers

8. Ray Alder - for my ears, Alder is THE best progressive metal vocalist (I know the term "progressive" is also subjective). I absolutely love Fates Warning, but always found them to be a bit dull live - I blame that on Matheos. But Ray is the real deal......Favorite era: Parallels is still one of the most underrated discs in metal history, imo.

9. Jon Oliva/Hansi Kursch - this one was hard to choose. Both guys are not the greatest singers in the world, but both are easily two of the best screamers/screechers/growlers, etc. And since I'm basing my list on how the singers make me feel, I just flat out enjoy listening to them! Favorite Oliva material: Streets/Gutter Ballet/HotMK......Favorite Kursch material: Imaginations/ANATO/LITTH

10. Ann Wilson - Ok, this isn't a metal choice. Nobody sings like Ann Wilson!!! She is easily my favorite non-metal singer and I dare anyone to find a better live female singer.....uh-oh, I may have just opened myself up to some serious flaming!! Favorite material: anything.

Well....there's my utterly useless list.
Cheers ~ Drew

Russell Allen - Symphony X
Jorn Lande - ...
Miljenko Matijevic - Steelheart
Matthias Blad - Falconer
Michael Eriksen - Circus Maximus
Geoff Tate - Queensryche
Phil Anselmo - Pantera (only from Cowboys and the album before)
Jani Lane - Warrant
David Coverdale - Whitesnake
Matt Barlow - Iced Earth

I guess that is only ten...but I can't really think of anymore at the moment...and in no particular order by the way.

Jani Lane? :zombie: Really?:ill:

A list like this would be very hard for me to do. Mine would include the likes of Alder, Allen, Lupe, Halford,Arch,ETC ......no real shockers. But Jani Lane? o_O

Barlow, Dickinson, Khan, Hansi, Deris, etc,etc,etc. For the most part I see a lot of similarities in the lists with those 4 and I would have to agree. In this case I'll add a name I haven't seen on the lists so far Marco Hietala. It may be argued he is not top 10 material but I feel the best singers are the ones you anticipate hearing their voice everytime they sing, they just make the song and I can honestly say I always look forward to Marco's part in any Nightwish song he participates in or even that one Delain track that is so awesome.

Cherion, I like your thinking for your #1! ;)

1. Bruce Dickinson, Roy Khan, Mathias Blad (sorry, I can't choose one over the others, here!)
2. Michele Luppi
3. Dio
4. Doro (like Dio, she's got about an 8-note range, but she utilizes it VERY well)
5. Tarja Turunen
6. Floor Jansen
7. Matt Barlowe
8. Lance King
9. Rob Halford
10. Andi Deris
11. James LaBrie

All except #'s 1 and 2 are in no particular order.

Zod: I would reccommend Falconer's The Clarion Call, it is their best song, IMO. However, you might just not be a fan of clean baritones. In which case, I would reccommend either of the two Falconer albums with Kristoffer Gobel on vocals - The Sceptre of Deception and Grime vs Grandeur. Kris is also a Baritone, but his voice is more gritty. Sadly, Kris seems to have dropped off of the metal radar once he was no longer in Destiny. :(

Kotipelto and Sammet should be up there as well, no? Didn't we have a list like this last year or something? I love how this stuff gets repeated every so often.

1. Daniel Gildenlow - Pain of Salvation
2. Michelle Luppi - Vision Divine
3. Michael Kiske - Helloween
4. Roy Khan - Kamelot, Conception
5. Russel Allen - Symphony X
6. Michael Eriksen - Circus Maximus
7. Mariusz Duda - Riverside
8. Ted Leonard - Enchant
9. Andy Kuntz - Vanden Plas
10. Keith Sudano - Eternity X
11. Swaybird - Symetrica -_-

Last year? Someone starts a favorite vocalist thread every 37 hours (on average).

Zod

Yeah but every 24 hours is a 'top list of 2007 so far'. I only started this because i tried to put them in order for myself... and thought I'd post it. I do find it interesting that you find certain singers on most people's lists, but not nearly as much at the number 1 slot.

Sebastian Bach has not made anyones list? Or Daniel from Heed? John West? Olaf Hayer?

About Blad: I really like him and I think he's great with Falconer, but I wouldn't put him on a list of metal vocalists, since I don't think he is one. I feel the same way of Tarja as well: great voice, but not Metal.

I think any list without Russell Allen is just wrong. Ronnie James Dio with greater range.

Michelle Luppi just blows me away. Ever since I picked up that cheap copy of "Stream Of Unconsciousness" at last year's ProgPower, I've been listening it a ton. That last track gets me every time.

Not much respect for female vocalists. Floor Jansen and Magali Luyten are in my top 10, with Doro probably being just outside of it.

Roy Khan, Jorn Lande and Daniel Guildenlow are also up there.

As far as the old school goes, I'd probably go with Bruce Dickinson, Dio and Mike Patton (for a unique entry).

So, my list:

1) Russell Allen
2) Michelle Luppi
3) Floor Jansen
4) Bruce Dickenson
5) Jorn Lande
6) Daniel Guildenlow
7) Roy Khan
8) Mike Patton
9) Dio
10) Magali Luyten

Jason

Sebastian Bach has not made anyones list? Or Daniel from Heed? John West? Olaf Hayer?

I think the deal with Daniel is a lot of people are just forgetting about him... or at least that was the case with me.

I'm sure when the new Heed album drops, the next Top 10 vocalists thread after that will have him all over it.

1. Matt Barlow
2. Bjorn "speed" strid
3. Jorn Lande
4. Anders friden (all albums before reroute)
5. Angela Gossow
6. Tony from Sonata Arctica
7. Me in the shower
8. Ettore Rigotti
9. Frank Sinatra
10. That dude from the beegees