UPDATE: TECHWOOD HOTEL DISCOUNT

Yep, just making sure you were including tax in your rate. Not too shabby! And if you're paying half and your girlfriend is paying half, it's going to be like 232.50 for 3 nights! CHEAP!

-Metal

Exactly! :) Thanx for all the help & info! At least some people here are cool & helpful!

By the way, according to the BW web page, the Best Western Inn At The Peachtree, is totally sold out for Sept 24 thru Sept 27. So it looks like party on the patio at the Inn at the Peachtree.

Why? It's not sold out yet? Maybe many people are STILL waiting to find out who's gonna headline before making the decision to go & make their res.

Hello - I hope I can make it to this year's event. It would be my first time. The lineup looks great. I have two questions for some of the veterans here. What's the policy around photographs at the festival? I am not a professional, but I have some good gear and I would love to take some pics. Secondly, are most folks there pretty relaxed or is there some aggression?
Oh, what's the average cost for tickets. Maybe I am thick, but I couldn't find a reference for it on the main page - duh?!
Thanks and Cheers.

I'll dig up some links tomorrow regarding previous posts on what to expect (we get these questions every year, this should be an FAQ).

But in particular to your questions:

1. No digital cameras. Film cameras only. (Unless you're a band sponsor)
2. Pretty relaxed atmosphere. It is an all ages show - I've seen children and folks in their 50s. No moshing, no crowd surfing.
3. Tickets will cost $117, covers both Friday and Saturday night (6 bands each night, 12 bands total). Ticketmaster fees are on top of the base price (I'd say add at least $10). They go on sale March 1st.
4. There will most likely be a "showcase" that will be on Thursday night and costs extra (I forget last year's price). There will be four bands that will play for the showcase. Bands and price for this year have not yet been announced.

2. Pretty relaxed atmosphere. It is an all ages show - I've seen children and folks in their 50s. No moshing, no crowd surfing.

I be the 50 something person. There is also no stage diving either, unless your the promoter or Chris from FREAK KITCHEN. There will be a showcase on Thursday night, last year it was $30. Also there is the ZAK STEVENS acoustic set and Karaoke on Wed night.

Hello - I hope I can make it to this year's event. It would be my first time. The lineup looks great. I have two questions for some of the veterans here. What's the policy around photographs at the festival? I am not a professional, but I have some good gear and I would love to take some pics. Secondly, are most folks there pretty relaxed or is there some aggression?

Welcome to ProgPower USA! It's much more than just 12 bands (16 counting the Thurs. night bands) performing....it's almost like a family reunion for many of us. Great vibe, great atmosphere, and by order of the promoter, no moshing. We're there to watch the stage and listen, not watch our backs for incoming elbows. :)

Although the rules prohibit digital cameras for all except band sponsors and media, if your "good gear" includes a film SLR, you are good-to-go.

I be the 50 something person. There is also no stage diving either, unless your the promoter or Chris from FREAK KITCHEN. There will be a showcase on Thursday night, last year it was $30. Also there is the ZAK STEVENS acoustic set and Karaoke on Wed night.

There is a (relatively small) charge for tickets to the acoustic set, but those tickets will sell out quickly if last year is any example. There are very few available.

Karaoke (mostly metal karaoke) will follow, and Glenn may take $5 donations for it again this year, or maybe it'll be free.

And this year, there is a discounted rate for a hotel. (Which is this thread) I know that most other hotels are sold out, and I keep meaning to check on the availability of rooms for this yet.

This hotel is walkable to the venue (1/4 mile. A little long at the end of the night, but not horrible.) And cabs back and forth are right around $20, but that can be split between a handful of people so if you grab 4, it's only $5 if necessary.

And yes, welcome to the family!

-Metal

All - This sounds great. I am all digital these days. Maybe I will dust off my old Rolleiflex or Voigtlaender just for the heck of it.
Either way this will be fun. Do tickets sell out pretty fast? My wife is still deciding, if she will come. I'll go with the hotel option mentioned here as soon as I get my tickets. Is the showcase handled through Ticketmaster as well?
BTW, I just got tickets today to see Dreamtheater on May, 5th in Seattle, WA. Yeah!!
Cheers and thanks for your warm welcome!

I'm still curious to know how things will work with the Techwood Dr closing. Did the hotel have an entrance off 14th St? I don't remember one.....

That is what it says off their website, that shouldn't be a problem though right? How far is that from the Marta, walking distance?

Bear

That is what it says off their website, that shouldn't be a problem though right? How far is that from the Marta, walking distance?

Bear

Yeah, it's not that far IF the 14th bridge is crossable (which it is, at least now). MARTA's Arts Center Station would be across the freeway about two blocks and then north a half a block.

If you ever went to the Chinese Buddah Resturant, it's right by that. (At least the old location...)

-Metal

Yep.

The NEW location is on 10th Street, literally right next to the northbound freeway exit ramp. They are no longer 24 hours, BUT they are open until 5 or 6am on weekends, plenty late enough even for Glenn's "let's end the show at 3am!" festival. :lol:

Hello..
This will be my second year attending. I came to PPUVIII for a couple of bands, but I was blown away with some of the rest.. also, I loved the venue, the people, the atmosphere.. but anyways... =)

Metal,
do you know how many rooms are available still? any info is greatly appreciated. I was going to call the number on the initial post first but I thought I'd ask here first and say hello to everyone.

-C