Video do's and dont's

and you don't need a huge budget to make an awesome, creative and ENTERTAINING video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A_tSyJBsRQ

I'm being completely honest now. New Millenium Cyanide Christ-video IS better than most metal videos, atleast I think so. Seriously!

I am so sick of the mainstream way of doing metal videos, it's ALWAYS some "fucked up" place, where the band members play for no apparent reason what so ever. Why in hell would a band drag all their gear out to play in an abandoned factory in the first place? It's not logical, it's not even cool, it's just lame.

Personally, I like music videos that tell the story of the song, rather than just being a camera following the band playing through that song, without anything really happening.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is one video I like, but I can't stand the first minute of it... it seems to be just a filler rather than contributing very much but I'm sure they have their reasons. The connection to the song (atleast as I interpret it) starts somewhere by 1:30 and forward, when the guy tries really hard to look good and ends up fucking himself up:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVujRBZGTfk&feature=related[/ame]

And then there is always Bland Street Bloom (Fuck man, SikTh really had awesome music vids!), which REALLY tells the story of the song, one would have to be a retard to miss it:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAyqaLpJTQg&feature=related[/ame]

But I'm guessing you may not have the budget to hire someone to spend hours and hours to comp a video like that together, it's pretty hard to do, but it's fucking beautiful and the best thing is that it has a meaning, it tells a story. I'm not sure what message I'm left with at the end of a generic video of a band screaming in a warehouse, because every other band is doing that too. Best thing that comes to my mind as for interpreting videos like that is "*long pause* ..... Okaaaay?".

Oh and I thought you were going to ask about technical aspects of video shooting, but I'm guessing you already have that covered. If not, go ahead and ask, I might be able to help answering a question or two.

Here is one video I like, but I can't stand the first minute of it... it seems to be just a filler rather than contributing very much but I'm sure they have their reasons. The connection to the song (atleast as I interpret it) starts somewhere by 1:30 and forward, when the guy tries really hard to look good and ends up fucking himself up:
Holy shit. I can't watch things like that :puke:
I worked 2 Weeks at the rescue service (and will do it again for one year) and i saw SO many people that were seriously injured, but vids like that...:erk:
i think i can't stand to see people hurting themselves.

@musickey:
what is the sub-plot about? :)
you gotta post the video here as soon as it's ready, hehe!

The video may be a little gross but I think it is what way for a reason. It's actually a pretty accurate reflection of real world events, where people try to perfect themselves to the point where they are only fucking themselves up, without realizing it.

Anyway, it doesn't have to be bloody... tell the story by "using" a hot girl instead. Everybody will watch it no matter wtf the story is about :)

I like Bland Street Bloom's video better than Peepshow though. It has both the storytelling and the technical movie making aspect, to be a "hit" or so to speak.

Do recreate the great wall of China with Marshall full stacks for über-metal effect.

wall%20o%20marshalls.JPG