Vinyl stores near ProgPower

UNRESTRAINED! said:
Are there any vinyl stores worth checking out while I am attending ProgPower....I'll need my fix while in Atlanta. Any help would rock, yo! :headbang:

I had no luck finding anything of the sort nearby the venue. I actually had to drive out to the suburbs for a mediocre store...

There's a place called Wax 'n' Facts about 15 minutes from the venue in a place called little 5 points. You won't find much metal there I'm afraid! Tower records is about 10 minutes away in Buckhead, but again, don't know about the metal selection (the store is just cool to walk around in!)

Not big on the metal stores here unfortunately. That's why it's SUCH a treat that all the great dealers come to town! If we ever get VYAGRA MUSIC on as a dealer, this will be heaven on earth!

Tower probably is the best bet; unfortunately, it's not that close to the venue (at least it's not walking distance):

Tower Records
3232 Peachtree Road
Suite B
Atlanta, GA 30305
404-264-1217
5.3 miles from Earthlink

Following are a few other suggestions, although you will probably want to call ahead to determine if it sounds like any of these places has anything that may be of interest to you:

Fantasyland Records
2839 Peachtree Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30305
404-237-3193
3.1 miles from Earthlink

Wax 'n Facts
432 Moreland Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30307
404-525-2275
5.2 miles from Earthlink

Wuxtry
2096 North Decatur Road
Decatur, Ga. 30033
404-329-0020
www.wuxtryrecords.com
6.0 miles from Earthlink

Since I finally gave up the vinyl collection, I haven't been to these stores in quite some time, which is why I stress that you may want to contact them in advance.

James pretty much covered the vinyl in atlanta, though i will add that I work for the Book Nook at Clairmont Rd. and North Druid Hills Rd. (404-633-1328) and we have vinyl too. the only other store i can think of right now is Full Moon Records, but i don't have a phone number offhand.

Also, i wouldn't bank too heavily on Tower Records since i heard that the company filed Chapter 11 last month, making it unlikely the store will still be around in September.

Ryan

I'd be looking for a cd shop personally. It still amazes me that I couldn't get anyone to hop in the car with me for the trip to Impulse Records during PP1, that was one of the highlights of that trip for me, that place was a metalhead's dream come true. I spent like $200 there and could have spent $1,000's if I had it.

symfnyx said:
I'd be looking for a cd shop personally.
Trust me on this bro...you won't be jonesin' for a cd shop at PPUSA. There will be at least four (maybe more) cd vendors that will have everything metal. From the sublime to the ridiculous. Soup to nuts. A heavy metal smourgasboard. All you'll need in Atlanta will be a fat wallet.

:D

Se7enChurches said:
I work for the Book Nook at Clairmont Rd. and North Druid Hills Rd. (404-633-1328) and we have vinyl too.
You guys are like 5 minutes from me; I'll have to stop in sometime and check out the "new" location (I haven't been to The Book Nook since you guys were at Clairmont and Buford Highway).

Se7enChurches said:
i wouldn't bank too heavily on Tower Records since i heard that the company filed Chapter 11 last month, making it unlikely the store will still be around in September.
I actually heard about the bankruptcy filing, but I had forgotten all about it. In this day and age of WorldCom/MCI-type bankruptcies, I guess news like that just goes in one ear and out the other. Good point, though: since Tower is privately held and they are looking for a buyer, sounds like the windows may be boarded up by September after all.

UNRESTRAINED may want to call ahead for this one, as well!

I deal with TOWER (they carry my magazine UNRESTRAINED!) and they sent out a letter to all their clients detailing what is going on and I highly doubt the doors will be closed this year or next -- they will most likely be able to get out of this mess with some hard work and new routes of handling their business practices. We'll see....

Anyway, thanks peeps!

:p

Gee, cutting CD prices to match most other retailers would be a good start for Tower.

For those into extreme death/black and grindcore, Deathgasm Records is now open with a storefront location, and they have a LOT of titles in stock. It's actually part of Swayze's Venue, on Barrett Parkway about a half-mile northeast of I-575 (add a half-mile to that, from I-75), corner of Bells Ferry Road.

Not my usual cuppa, but I found a few things there. They have some t-shirts too.

Pellaz said:
For those into extreme death/black and grindcore, Deathgasm Records is now open with a storefront location, and they have a LOT of titles in stock. It's actually part of Swayze's Venue, on Barrett Parkway about a half-mile northeast of I-575 (add a half-mile to that, from I-75), corner of Bells Ferry Road.

:Spin:
I will definitely have to hit that place.

Pellaz said:
Gee, cutting CD prices to match most other retailers would be a good start for Tower.

Agreed. I like looking around at Tower, but most of the time I think "Well, I can get that $7 if I order it online."