Voyager - Univers

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Voyager - Univers
Dockyard 1 Records – 2007
By Adam McAuley

Voyager-uniVers-cd.gif

Progressive power metal with a lot of keyboards is on display here and played reasonably well. We can sense a touch of class added to the usual power metal dynamics because of the keyboard usage. This is just a minor characteristic though and the band still have a long way to go if they want to separate themselves from the power and progressive metal packs. However, Voyager have a passionate approach that gives them a distinctive place within metal quite effectively.

Again power metal is one of my least favourite metal types, so after hearing a lot of it, we begin to sense it becoming generic and though this may add some quality elements to a retried formula, it can’t completely separate Voyager from the pack. The mix of mostly clean and some harsh vocals has a nice way of gelling with the music in a way that isn’t annoying, but rather urges the music onwards. Adding to that are pretty solid musical approaches to the guitars and keyboards which make for an exciting listen. The music has a way of letting the usual cheesiness hinder its approach, but it isn’t found nearly as much as some power metal and even progressive bands have. The manner of adding classiness to their overall approach seems to prevent them from descending down into other spaces.

Voyager make themselves sound like they’re going on a journey and it’s a relatively enjoyable one overall. A bit of added musical virtuosity might have given the band a greater kick, but as it stands, the work is a good entry to the power and progressive metal genres. Fans of said genres should pick up Univers, but others might want to question whether they’d like the band a bit further based on their tastes.

Official Voyager Website
Official Dockyard 1 Website

I really love this album and think Voyager have incredible talent.

the true highlight for me is track 8 "Falling" because it shows off the talents of the vocalist and keyboardist as well as being a great ballad. :headbang: