What does Blackguard do when not touring? (aka the thread that won't die)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry ...

blah blah blah ...

... So, I don't care one bit about any respect that the bands being discussed here deserve for being road warriors. My respect goes for bands who use the proper resources to get their music out there and write original and interesting metal.

What you're talking about here is a completely different issue.
The fact is that none of the bands you mentioned are professional musicians and most likely won't be.
I happen to like the new Atlantean Kodex, and its cool to see it be named best German album ever by the guy reviewing it in Rock Hard magazine, but with that said, they aren't going to be full time musicians and making decent money on this. They will forever be underground. That's all good and I applaud them for that - but the subject matter here is a different one.

Atlantean Kodex is awesome but it's pretty obvious that they have different goals and motives than Blackguard. You can't really compare the two bands fairly. They're just guys with normal dayjobs who happen to play in a kickass metal band. Not really looking to make it at all to the same extent that it seems like Blackguard is.

Wait, what????????????
Are you implying that Blackguard, Into Eternity, Powerglove, etc, earn the title of "professional musician" simply because they tour more????

Yeah, I agree that we might have to have a whole separate discussion on this! Though, you did say how in this day and age you have to stay on the road to make it. I am saying that is not true.

Though, there is a difference to me between bands who are professional, meaning they don't have day jobs so they stay on the road. Sure, maybe that means their only means of earning $$$ is from music, though that HARDLY indicates success in any way.

And I NEVER EVER said "blah blah blah"

Atlantean Kodex is awesome but it's pretty obvious that they have different goals and motives than Blackguard. You can't really compare the two bands fairly. They're just guys with normal dayjobs who happen to play in a kickass metal band. Not really looking to make it at all to the same extent that it seems like Blackguard is.

Agreed 100%
Though I still wrestle with the concept of referring to Blackguard as "professional" just because they tour more.

I don't mean to put words in anyone's mouth, but I think that's what Claus is implying.

Look at bands like Atlantean Kodex, Dawnbringer, and Agalloch. Those three bands will finish 2010 releasing three of the most anticipated releases this year. Neither of those three bands tour regularly, and most certainly never been on multiple tours in one year.
This intrigued me. I will definitely check out Atlantean Kodex when I get home this evening.

This intrigued me. I will definitely check out Atlantean Kodex when I get home this evening.

See, the power of "word of mouth"

Bet this thread alone will get more people checking out Atlantean Kodex tonight than Blackguard will get playing in front of whoever they are opening for tonight. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What you're talking about here is a completely different issue.
The fact is that none of the bands you mentioned are professional musicians and most likely won't be.

Claus, what does qualify as a professional musician in this day and age? Are you measuring this as someone who's sole income is based on music?

And Jason, you may be right about how many people end up checking out Kodex because of this thread (as I start listening to it).
EDIT: That was a great song

Claus, what does qualify as a professional musician in this day and age? Are you measuring this as someone who's sole income is based on music?
While "Professional", as a status, had traditionally separated those who got paid vs. those who didn't, it was also used as a barometer of quality. As it applies to the latter, the term has lost all meaning (if it ever had any). The reality is, even a six year old could discern that the Zero Hour lads are better musicians than your average Pop star. However, the difference is equally as wide when it comes to income generated by music sales. Using dollars as a measurement of anything other than dollars, when it comes to art, is completely meaningless.

I can see both sides of this. I respect any band that gets out and tours relentlessly. At the same time, I'm a lot less excited to see them when I've already caught them a couple times in the previous few months. There has to be a happy medium somewhere.

Using dollars as a measurement of anything other than dollars, when it comes to art, is completely meaningless.

Right, and in this case, we aren't talking about the number of dollars earned.
I am taking what Claus is saying as "Blackguard are professional musicians because they make a paycheck from doing this"

As I said before, I am still awaiting a good example of a now headlining band who has made it as a result of being an overexposed (IE - touring 3 or 4 times a year) undercarder.

Sure, some bands like Children of Bodom and Amon Amarth had a couple support slot runs in the States before becoming headliners here, but they both have a unique sound that caught people's attention before they ever reached American soil. There is still an element of quality there (Regardless of whether that quality has deteriorated over the years).

I can see both sides of this. I respect any band that gets out and tours relentlessly. At the same time, I'm a lot less excited to see them when I've already caught them a couple times in the previous few months. There has to be a happy medium somewhere.

The happy medium is spend LESS time on the road and more time making and writing good music. Rehashing the same tired setlist over and over from your debut album which was received poorly to begin with won't have any positive long term effects. (BTW - I am generalizing FAR beyond Blackguard with this post, so don't take offense if you are a BG fan)

power metal is like #4 on my most enjoyed genres of metal but i still post here and go to PP.

i will just stay out of this discussion because it's pointless arguing with people about what it's like to tour and promote your band when you have never been in a touring band out there on the road. the life sucks so i applaud any band who does it as much as they do. it takes a special person to want to ride around in a van with other sweaty, smelly dudes, sleep on the floor, eat fast food everyday, just to play 25 minutes a night and the rest of the time is boredom mainly.

Matt,
As I said before, respect and success are two different things.

I don't envy these bands one bit.
I am sure it sucks, big time.

Though, at the same time, you have to be realistic about things.
You can't expect overexposure to result in success.
You have to write good songs and have something unique to offer.

I am taking what Claus is saying as "Blackguard are professional musicians because they make a paycheck from doing this"

No, you've obviously not read what I'm saying ... they are right now INVESTING in their future career - this is the hard part that sucks and costs blood, sweat and tears (and a heck of a lot of money).
They aren't making that paycheck yet - it's the GOAL ahead of them.
c.

Wait, what????????????
Are you implying that Blackguard, Into Eternity, Powerglove, etc, earn the title of "professional musician" simply because they tour more????

No no no no ...
Their GOAL is to become a professional musician. That is why they tour so much - to build up their name.
Oh my, why is it so hard to read my words for you guys?

on a positive note....Kataklysm announced thier US tour for next year which does not include....Blackguard, Powerglove, Swashbuckle, Warbringer, or Mutiny Within.

Like stated by a few here already....Blackguard would do better if they wrote better songs and concentrated on that aspect that touring non stop.

Matt,
As I said before, respect and success are two different things.

I don't envy these bands one bit.
I am sure it sucks, big time.

Though, at the same time, you have to be realistic about things.
You can't expect overexposure to result in success.
You have to write good songs and have something unique to offer.

i agree it can be seen as overexposure, but unlike in the 80's these bands are not doing worldwide tours for each albums so their efforts are targeted.

it's not just in the metal scene, it happens in the hardcore scene. we toured with Carnifex and i swear those guys only stopped for a month to record their new album and the last two years have been on the road.

all the touring has helped them gain great exposure, but again there is a little more crowd participation at shows like that where it's more geared towards the "experience" rather than in an environment where "dancing" is frowned upon. so people want to see them as much as possible to dance and sing along.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.