What does Blackguard do when not touring? (aka the thread that won't die)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's let the board decide!!!!!!!!
bobjason.jpg

Element Man.....I see where you are coming from. I have even thought this myself. But trying to hit that young fanbase only isnt the best way to go. Sure you may get a few fans here and there but most of these new kids go away in a year or so with very few sticking around. It is actually the people like us who buy CD's and go to shows and festivals. Sure for the quick buck it is a great thing but for the old timers and veteran fans, we see right through this.

:err:

nothing says sexy to a lady as a sweat stain on the chest of a shirt. If I was a hot girl I would be all over the guy on the left. Just sayin.

Also...is that Neil in the white shirt lurking in the back?????

Yep, and I know you haven't read the whole thread, but I said a bunch of times that I know I am not their target audience. Still though, as a LONG time metal fan, it is hard to respect bands who jump on trends to appeal to the masses. I am not impressed at all by a band who plays unoriginal metal simply to make a career out of it. Not totally just picking on Blackguard here, BTW, as I know they have received a ton of crap in this thread.
No, I get you. I don't think you HAVE to respect them. I think Claus and have our mindset on "the biz" a bit differently, than yourself perhaps. With him being involved in Intromental and me being a professional musician (I teach, and play jazz gigs as my main source of income) we can understand and respect what Blackguard are trying to achieve but these personal differences are what makes for an interesting debate!

Diabolik: Well, that's just it, isn't it? There are pros and cons to every business model, and that risk is what makes being a professional musician an "entrepenuer" in addition to being an "artist". We are more willing to buy a CD from our favorite band online or through a shop (esp. if they don't play often) but if you take those kids and put showcase your product and stick it right under their noses, then they will probably buy something in the heat of the moment. Blackguard's marketing strengths are in their touring, and that's where they are promoted best. They probably sell a metric fuck-ton of merch and albums on tour, whereas their webstore and HMV sales might not be as good as other bands that don't tour as often. I don't have number of course, I'm just speculating.

Any band will tell you that most of their $$$ comes from merch sales at gigs, so Blackguard takes every chance they get get shows booked and sell their wares.

$stored in my ever-growing collection of insertable smilies.
This thread has now served a valid purpose. Again. :)

We need skyrefuge with his amazing data-collecting skills to count exactly how many people were in this shot. Argument is on hold until we gather results!!
:lol:

Clearly it's at least 50,000, but the U.S. Park Service puts it at a mere 700. :heh:

I'm really late jumping on this party and there's no way I'm gonna read through all the pages, but here's my take on it.
[....]

And what an excellent take it was. :kickass: :worship:

AeonicSlumber said:
And my "credentials" are for me to know and for you to find out.

I, for one, would like to welcome Lars Ulrich to the board! :lol:

Also what is this overtouring? Is that a French word similar to overture? I believe the proper English would be "over touring".

When a band has been coming to the same territories almost every month or even a couple times a month to essentially the same crowd over and over is what I consider it to be. People will get tired of seeing them. More importantly, I think it's more for bands who aren't in high demand. For people who are eager to see bands over and over, i.e. sort of like the Children of Bodoms and Amon Amarths I don't consider that overtouring. Nor is it to be on tour all year if it's a diverse group of territories. Just my opinion.

When a band has been coming to the same territories almost every month or even a couple times a month to essentially the same crowd over and over is what I consider it to be. People will get tired of seeing them. More importantly, I think it's more for bands who aren't in high demand. For people who are eager to see bands over and over, i.e. sort of like the Children of Bodoms and Amon Amarths I don't consider that overtouring. Nor is it to be on tour all year if it's a diverse group of territories. Just my opinion.

it was more of a joke, lol. Since Jason made up a word "overtouring" when it should be two words.

Status
Not open for further replies.