What is the BEST METAL INTRO TRACK of all time?

SwordLord

Attack!
Sep 20, 2004
St. Paul, Minnesota
www.myspace.com
So I had this conversation with my roommate not too long ago and I decided to turn it into a thread.

Now there are RULES for answering this question, so be sure you read the entire post.

WHAT IS THE BEST METAL INTRO TRACK OF ALL TIME?

Now be careful. You have to answer within the specified parameters (yeah, it’s my post, and I’ll rule it with an iron fist if I wanna)

1. It has to be an actual solitary track and it has to be the first track on the album (track #1), hence “intro track.” Intro tracks do not have any sung lyrics, are usually completely instrumental and are usually under 2.5 minutes in length. It can’t just be the cool opening part to an actual song, that doesn’t count.

Example with Kamelot:

The first track on The Black Halo is “March of Mephisto” which starts out with the sound of an army marching and the commander barking orders. As f**king cool as this is, it doesn’t count for the purposes of this post because it’s a part of the actual song and not it’s own track. However, “New Allegiance” off of their “The Fourth Legacy” album would count because it’s track #1 and it runs 54 seconds long.

2. You can’t cheat and use a cool song that just happens to be track #1. We could debate the difference all day, but I’m sure you get my drift.

3. Every time someone starts a thread like this and asks what the best blah-blah is, the first few people list one choice and then some rabid fan-boy/girl lists like 10 choices and the post just goes to pot and becomes meaningless.

SOOOOO …

You all get ONE CHOICE for Best Intro Track.

You also get TWO RUNNER UP choices. You must specify which is which. Failing to do this will bring you bad luck for 14 years. (Now send this to 20 people in the next 10 minutes …)

So to keep this all clear, I’ll start with mine:

BEST METAL INTRO TRACK OF ALL TIME
DAWN OF TIME by Secret Sphere
Track #1 from “Mistress of the Shadowlight”

I never get tired of listening to this track. It just blows me away. What further blows me away is how a band could have one of the best debut CD’s ever (Mistress …) and then make three more albums that are complete crap.

RUNNER UP #1
INTRO by Within Temptation
Track #1 from “The Silent Force”

Is it just me or is Sharon den Adel’s voice the most angelic in all of metal? Everytime I hear her voice, it’s just like I woke up in heaven.

RUNNER UP #2
SOLITAIRE by Kamelot
Track #1 from “Ghost Opera”

This intro track is amazing and even more amazing is how it brilliantly segways into track #2 for one of the best Kamelot openings to an album yet!

OKAY, so now let’s hear from the rest of you! :headbang:
Nathan
The SwordLord

Easy. Not my favorite band, but the track rules...

DARK INTENTIONS
by The Haunted
off of The Haunted Made Me Do It

damn... remember when that band was worth a damn?

I might think of some runner ups later.

1. Cea Serin - A Fracture in Forever: Where Memories Combine

2. Mercenary- Into the Seas of Dark Desires: 11 Dreams

3. Pathosray - Free of Doubt: Pathosray

Im not entirely clear. Are we talking about the little 40s song fillers before first song or the first track of an album(being like 4-5m long or w/e)

Definitely these two by far:

1. Welcome- By Gamma Ray from their first album "Heading For Tomorrow:. It started it all for the Rays!

2. Invitation- by Helloween on Keepers 2, need I say more?

Holy Wars... The Punishment Due - Megadeth from Rust In Peace
Painkiller - Judas Priest from Painkiller
Stand Up & Shout - Dio from Holy Diver

...just right off the top o' me head.

Edit: Damn, forgot Power of the Night - Savatage :headbang:

Hands down winner: Queensryche. Operation: Mindcrime. Anarchy-X (Fine. Tell me it's track #2. I don't care. It's an opening song. The first track is just talking. Sweet dreams. You bastard.

Runner up: Savatage. Wake of Magellan. The Ocean.

Those came to me without checking. I refuse to go through my collection looking for opening songs ;)

Steve in Philly.

Hands down winner: Queensryche. Operation: Mindcrime. Anarchy-X (Fine. Tell me it's track #2. I don't care. It's an opening song. The first track is just talking. Sweet dreams. You bastard.

Runner up: Savatage. Wake of Magellan. The Ocean.

Those came to me without checking. I refuse to go through my collection looking for opening songs ;)

Steve in Philly.

Wake of Magellan -- NICE!!! :headbang: I hadn't thought of that one in a long time, I may have to edit my own list! :lol:

1. The Ides of March -- Iron Maiden

2. The Hellion -- Judas Priest

3. Out From The Asylum -- King Diamond

Churchill's Speech - Iron Maiden (Live After Death)
The Hellion - Judas Priest (Screaming for Vengance)
Crystal Ann - Annihilator (Alice In Hell)

Other noteworthy additions would be -

Deliberately Limited Preliminary Prelude Period In Z - Helloween (Better Than Raw)
Induction - Gamma Ray (No World Order)
Into The Lungs Of Hell - Megadeth (So Far, So Good... So What!)
Ophidian - Nevermore (Dreaming Neon Black)
Approaching - Pagans Mind (Celestial Entrance)

1) Any of the symphonic intros used in Rhapsody's albums ... mmmmmmm, symphonic intro goodness :)

2) "Deus le Volt", leads into "Spread Your Fire" on Angra's Temple of Shadows

3) .... I'm too enthralled by this picture of Kim Kardashian to think of another :p

Couple I can think of:

Crystal Ann - Annihilator
Parting of the Ways - Forbidden
Gather Ye Wild - Wuthering Heights

I know this violates the rules, but my favorite "intro" may be the first few seconds of Moonchild by Iron Maiden. IMO, I would consider that an intro.