What is the BEST METAL INTRO TRACK of all time?

Sometimes you are right Claus, and this one was one of 'em. Stiletto in the sand is the biggest slap in the face intro any band has ever done on a metal CD. The band is letting you know that "Here we are....we're warmed up...are you ready for the rest??". Marvelous!

See if you can find some rhythmic inspirational marks on "8 Deadly Sins" :headbang:

L

Best = White Zombie "Electric Head, Pt. 1 (The Agony)"

I can't think of any runners up right now...but that track above has always been my favorite intro track.

The few I had in mind have all been mentioned already. Vanden Plas, Annihilator, Racer X, and the best one hands down Approaching by Pagan's Mind!

Helloween, Better then Raw - Deliberately Limited Preliminary Prelude Period in Z
Heavenly, Coming from the Sky - Coming from the Sky
Blind Guardian, Nightfall in Middle Earth - War of Wrath

"I'm so power I shit unicorns" lol.

Iron Maiden - Ides Of March

Pharaoh - Unum

Note that both are full on ripping guitar solo madness. No fruity fake orchestras, no abstract whistling wind noises, and no screwing around. Metal.

BEST:
"Approaching" by Pagan's Mind, off Celestial Entrance

1st Runner Up:
"War of Wrath" by Blind Guardian, off Nightfall in Middle-Earth

2nd Runner Up:
"Induction" by Gamma Ray, off New World Order

There's no way I could figure out what "THE BEST" intro track is, but regardless of that, I will say the track that popped into my head almost immediately when reading this post is "Deliberately Limited Preliminary Prelude Period In Z", from Helloween's Better Than Raw. One of the things that shapes one's perception of an intro track is how well it segues into the next track, and this combination of classical orchestration and electric guitars works perfectly as a lead-in to "Push", which is quite possibly still the heaviest song Helloween has ever done.

Brilliant addition, very well written insight – thank you for your contribution to this thread!!!

Best
Regalis Apertura by Kamelot- though i could easily switch this with one of the 2 below.

Runner-Ups
1) Huban K'u by Epica
2) Oculus Ex Inferni by Symphony X

--i just can't ignore these 2...
3) To Magic Horizons by Luca Turilli
4) War Of Wrath by Blind Guardian

Good grief, what did you do, raid my CD cabinet? I have all of those CD’s and love every one of them – thanks for posting!

Battle Magic - Bal-Sagoth (just because it somehow makes me laugh every single time)

Aw come one, Bal-Sagoth is like a black metal Rhapsody and I think they are awesome! :lol:

You guys are all weak

Dude, this just about killed me, I almost hit the floor laughing! :lol:

You get the best Metal Intro Track Trash Talk Line of the thread! :lol:

Best intro is Alsvartr (The Oath) from Emperor's Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk.

I will also agree with the one from Helloween's better than raw, I have always loved that intro.

Thirdly, even though it is an actual song so it doesn't follow the rules, but the first minute or so is intro material, and that is The Eruption from Emperor on Promethius: The Discipline of Fire and Demise.

SHAMAN - Ancient Winds from Ritual By leaps and bounds. This gets me READY.

Kamelot - New Allegiance from The Fourth Legacy

Manticora - A Gathering Of Pilgrims from Hyperion

Avantasia - Prelude from The Metal Opera

Rage - Orgy of Destruction from Soundchaser

Symphony X - Prelude from V: The New Mythology Suite

Honorable mention:
CARMINA BURANA from Ozzy Osbourne and Randy Rhoads' Tribute