What's an Amazing Concert You've Seen That Your Friends Just Don't Understand?

This is an easy one and you all I'm sure would agree, that'd be Iron Maiden! Ok, not the response you're looking for, but you have to admit you've got friends or family out there that just don't get Iron Maiden, or any metal music for that matter...and this applies to the concerts as well. In my college years and all those late nights of studying, I played nothing but metal, many times with headphones! Family/friends knew me as the one that studied with that noise. That'd be saying "How can you study with that noise?" I'd be like, "How can you not!" I'd also go to sleep with it on. The music could do both help me stay awake AND relax me while going to sleep...and I'm talking metal music, not some boring elevator music.

To answer your question beyond the "Metal music" I can't think of any that people didn't get it. But, one I thought that was really cool that some may not like was ZZ Top. Fuck, that was just one bad ass concert. They had a killer laser show, their long beards were a trip, and music the whole crowd got into.

Kitaro on the - at that time - only tour he ever did of the US, on the "Light of the Spirit" tour. I think it was like 87 or 88 or something like that. Absolutely amazing.

Red Shirt that is brilliant! You are absolutely right. I tell people about how amazing Maiden is live and they think I am talking about some 80s mindless thrash band. Maiden is so close to me, I forget that much of the world views them completely different than us. Most people have no idea how intellectual their music is. What does Heavy Metal mean anyways? Forget that label. Maiden is a very smart, sophisticated band with an opera singer.

it is hard to explain to those not in the Know.

Maybe this will count, I just got back from seeing my favorite living dissident folk musician, David Rovics.

Here are some of the lyrics to one of my favorite songs of his:

"We want a safer country
And it's in God we trust
So we'll bomb you during Ramadan
Turn your world into dust
But pull up on your boostraps
And stand on your own two feet
While we blow them off with cluster bombs
Disguised as something to eat

We stand for freedom
And prosperity
So we'll bomb your schools and hospitals
And make sure you live in misery
All you evildoers
And your children and your wives
With our B-52's we'll show you
How we value civilian lives

Give us your hungry, your restless
We'll show you democracy
A military trial
Or detention indefinitely
We'll have homeland security
Thomas Ridge all hail
We may not find the terrorists
But we can throw the left in jail

And we will all be safe
And we shall have no fears
Once our retinas have been scanned
And all the walls have ears
And we're all in good hands
When the FBI is in the know
We're sure they'll look after us
Just like they did with COINTELPRO"

He's also playing Sunday in Upland and Monday in Oxnard, I think I'm going to all 3 shows.

After Dolly Parton and Yanni, there isn't much to say.

So was 9-5 the encore for Dolly?

Nah she wasnt on that long to be honest.

She played 9-5 early on and Jolene was the roof raiser.

She spent a lot of time talking about her life and whay she wrote some songs etc, I guess thats why I enjoyed it. She properly let us in on her life, she interacted with the crowd and genuinely seemed to enjoy her first visit to the UK for about 20 years.

My Mum loved it of course, I just wished I could have gotten her Kenny Rogers tickets also.....mind I would probably have to go to that as well :(

I've seen other bands but didnt go to see them as such.....they were just on. One was Take That......load of crap. Every year we have a local festival of arts, theatre and music, the Stockton International Riverside festival.
During that they have liuve acts on usually on the larger side but not massive. This year it was headlined by Super Furry animals and the bloke from beautiful south and last year Echo and the bunnymen headlined.

We even had a Kerrang stage in 2004 with Sikth but they ruined it with Biffy Clyro headlining. Wasn't really up to much anyway. But it is free :)

I would love to see Dolly Parton!!!!

Timewarrior - when did you see Take That? I hated them back in the 90's but I love their comeback stuff. Patience and Rule The World are fantastic songs. Shine I used to like but everytime I hear it I think of Morrisons now! :lol:

I saw Take that about 1991/1992 it was a few weeks before their debut single was released. I didnt actually know who the hell they were or what music they played, they were just on.

I saw Take that about 1991/1992 it was a few weeks before their debut single was released. I didnt actually know who the hell they were or what music they played, they were just on.

Ahhh, I didn't like them at all in the 90's. The music was shocking!! I quite liked Back For Good and Never Forget but that was it!

I saw Chicago perform live when they visited Manila in 1994. Given the fact that nearly all of their most popular hits had Peter Cetera on vocals, it was hard for most people to accept the band without him when he left in the mid-80s. But I was surprised that the band's current bassist was able to hit Cetera's high notes.

For me... a Rob Zombie set at Ozzfest about 8 years ago. Didn't really care too much for Rob Zombie, even less than White Zombie, and didn't really like them that much afterwards either (although he is a genius filmmaker). BUT THAT SHOW WAS INSANE! The combination of the stage, music, lighting, props, fire, dancing girls, and explosions had to be the single most entertaining show I have ever seen.

I saw "Weird Al" Yankovich at the OC Fair about 3 years ago. I thought it would be kind of funny. But it was amazing!! 2 1/2 hours of free entertainment. He did practically his whole catalog complete with costume changes. His band members are awesome musicians. But, don't tell anyone ;)

I saw "Weird Al" Yankovich at the OC Fair about 3 years ago. I thought it would be kind of funny. But it was amazing!! 2 1/2 hours of free entertainment. He did practically his whole catalog complete with costume changes. His band members are awesome musicians. But, don't tell anyone ;)

I saw Weird Al at the OC fair last year, but I paid $20 for one of the good seats.

I was watching Oprah once, (Yeah I know, haha, I like her show) and they had Barry Manilow on there. There was all these young gorgeous screaming girls on the show going ape shit over him. I didn't know that Manilow has all these women madly in love with him fainting at his feet! The audience was going insane over him!

This Saturday, my family is gonna see Peter Cetera in concert. This will be a unique experience for me, as I saw Chicago over 15 years ago. Now I get to hear the original voice behind many of Chicago's greatest hits, along with a 42-piece orchestra.