What's so good about Edguy??

Angrafan

Feb 26, 2002
South Florida
Visit site
I am blown away by the prestige Edguy got on this board.. Don't get me wrong, I think they are a decent power metal band..

But what makes than stand out so much? I really don't get it..

They were really energetic at PP3, but I don't think they have the music to back up their popularity...

anyone else feel the same way?

Tobias Sammet is singlehandedly saving the good name of Power Metal in my opinion. If any of you have been following me at metalreviews.com you know how much I love Edguy!

Ben

Angrafan said:
I am blown away by the prestige Edguy got on this board.. Don't get me wrong, I think they are a decent power metal band..

They were really energetic at PP3, but I don't think they have the music to back up their popularity...

no.

Ryan

Angrafan said:
Generally speaking, power metal sucks balls, so it's pretty easy to see the 5 good bands from the rest of all the crap that comes with a 2 day shelf-life.

Edguy are somewhat of a guily pleasure for me. They remind me of Iron Maiden, Queensryche, Savatage, and Europe all rolled into one. Throw in a rather large dose of Helloween too. It's the stuff I grew up on, so it's nice to see at least one band flying the flag with some success. And we all know Tobias Sammet secretly wishes he was Bruce Dickinson, but nobody cares. He's a likeable character. They're a fun band to listen to, and an exceptionally fun band to watch. That performance at PP III will always be regarded as one of the highlights of Prog Power.

Well, they play power metal. That makes them inherently popular either way. And the fact that they're German probably helps too. I'm sure they'll headline Wacken one day.

...but seriously, they are just FUN. Tobi has a great sense of songwriting, they rock really fucking hard... I dunno, I saw you say on a different thread that you would most like to see Pain of Salvation again, and Edguy is about the opposite end of the spectrum, so it doesn't surprise me that you don't like them. Me, i don't find anything I've heard beyond Entropia listenable in the slightest (and Etropia only slightly so), but i love Edguy. personal preference, dude.

oh, and they have a song about a high speed alien drum bunny.

Ryan

Great production, fantastic Melodies, and just the overall attitude of this band.

You can tell they love playing music, and they love there fans. They dont try to recreate a new style, they just go out there and do what they love doing, and they do it great IMO.

All the songs stick in my head, because the choruses are so damn catchy. They have a great mix of Traditional Metal, Power Metal, Hard Rock, and even some AOR in spots.

King Of Fools, hit me like a hammer when I heard it. After one listen I had that chorus drilled into my head, and that is a good thing.

It seems they just mature with each release.

I really hope to see them return to PP5, but I wouldnt complain if it was angra hehe.

They put on an awesome show, that's true... Edguy's show was one of my favorites on pp3 and I'd be happy if they play the festival again... But when listening to the CDs I get really bored.. The music just doesn't do it for me....

But it's cool, I respect your preferences...

Its cool.

I felt that way about Angra until Matos left. I didnt see all the hype. Now I love em.

Angrafan said:

You're joking. Right?

I think Vain Glora Opera and Theater of Salvation are great albums, Mandrake slightly less so. Haven't heard King of Fools yet, and their older stuff is good but not great IMHO.

I think a lot of the people who rave about them on this forum are people who were won over by their performance at PP3. They connected with the crowd and really won over a lot of new fans based on their performance. You could just really tell that they were having a blast and were extremely happy to be there. For them it's not about egos, just music and having fun.

I liked their stuff before PP3, but after seeing them at PP3 I was even more of a fan.

That said, I'm hoping that Pain of Salvatation is the returning PP3 act because I missed their set at PP3 and haven't seen them live yet.

Angrafan said:

But what makes than stand out so much?
Since this is Prog/Power Festival, and since Power outdraws Prog, you have a forum that is made up largely of Power Metal fans. So when you read the posts in praise of Edguy, don't forget to consider that the praise is coming from a biased source.

Edguy is a solid Power Metal band, nothing more, nothing less. Their music is good, not great. Their lyrics straddle the line between average to childish. Tobias' voice is probably Edguy's biggest asset.

Zod

I like Edguy - I have all their albums and enjoyed seeing them at ProgPower III. With that said, they will never be anywhere near being one of my favorite bands. One of the reasons for this is that they tend to be very vocal oriented. Sammet is an excellent vocalist and the rest of the people in the band are very good vocalists as well and they harmonize very well. However, their music is somewhat on the thin side and is pushed more to the background. When I do try to listen to their music more, I find that it is somewhat boring and repetitive after listening to it for about fifteen minutes or so. Their music pales in comparison to the four headlining bands of PPIII, Blind Guardian (by a lot), Pain of Salvation (by a huge amount), Gamma Ray, and Angra (by a lot). However, if they are the returning band in ProgPower V, I wouldn't mind.

jkohn said:
I liked their stuff before PP3, but after seeing them at PP3 I was even more of a fan.
Heh, amen brother. They were actually my primary reason for going to PP3, although that whole line-up was quite remarkable, but the fact that they stole the show made it all the more special.

You know...I dont really know much about Edguy and I seen people go crazy over them here. I just saw their video on their website becuase I was curious. For some reason..they remind me of an 80's metal band of the 21st century or something. I think its the uppitiness of the music...I have no idea why it reminds me of that. But that is my opinion....hard to base it off of one song becuase they dont have any soundclips on the site at the moment. So far they just seem ok to me...but like I said before, hard to base a band off of one song.

Anyone mind telling me where I can get some actual clips?

I hardly see how Angra far outweighs Edguy in terms of anything really other than they have a more advanced lead guitarist. Angra, while a good band has never really blown me away, i've never found myself addicted to an Angra cd. Edguy is all about songwriting, and when it comes to heavy metal, there are few out there right now who do it better or more uniquely. I hear no other band in the waves of those who sound just like Rhapsody and Stratovarius that make me think of Edguy as just another face in the crowd. They stand out to me, and no they haven't invented anything new, and neither have any of these other bands, or most bands for that matter - but they write inspired, unique songs that are catchy, have longevity to me, and they don't take themselves too seriously thank GOD. They do write less complicated songs, but songs like Theater of Salvation also display an ability to handle the more complex and longer songs, which I'm glad for because every damn band does not need to bend my mind and ears with time changes and weird tempos despite how much I do love progressive stuff.

I wouldn't mind seeing POS again, but there is no contest to me between them and Edguy because POS' material doesn't translate live very well for me, although they perform it flawlessly. They are a band I like being able to listen to in a situation where I can actually hear all the little nuances and crap going on, and when they play laaate in the evening after a long day of energetic bands, well, I nearly passed out at PP3 during their set, and I love POS. Edguy just pushes all the right buttons for alot of people, I think, and with a new, bound to be stellar album I think everyone is just foaming at the mouth with th epossibility of seeing em.

jkohn said:
I think a lot of the people who rave about them on this forum are people who were won over by their performance at PP3. They connected with the crowd and really won over a lot of new fans based on their performance. You could just really tell that they were having a blast and were extremely happy to be there. For them it's not about egos, just music and having fun.
That's actually true! I didn't even like Edguy and I thought their show was awesome.... After that I checked out some CDs and I thought it was pretty boring... I don't think the songwritting is as good as everyone says (with the exception of some song, of course).. But It's all good, I will be glad if Edguy is the returning band...