A question about ProgPower

jin

New Metal Member
Apr 29, 2002
USA
Visit site
Hey everyone, I'm new here at UM, as you can see.

After seeing the list of bands for PP3, dang... I decided I really want to go, even though the trip (I will be in Baltimore in November) will end up costing me about $150.

Unfortunately, I don't know ANYONE who would be willing to go with me. I don't know anyone here at uni who even know who those bands are. And... I don't really want to drag someone along who is not into this kind of music.

So here's my question: Are there any disadvantages to just going by myself? I must admit that I am not really knowledgeable about concerts, since if I go to PP3, it will really be my first. I am a very small female; will this affect my experience in any way if I go by myself?

How is the general atmosphere of the venue (the audience) while the bands are performing?

And, though the chances are slim, if I can actually meet someone from this board who lives in or near Baltimore (fyi: I am matriculating at the Johns Hopkins University), and is willing to go to PP3 with me, that would be fantastic!

Please feel free to tell me anything about PP3, or concerts in general, however simple you think it might be, since I am a complete newbie. And thanks a lot for the help!

Jin

Never fear, the proggers are here!! don't worry about going to the concert yourself. EVERYONE I met at the show was great. It was easy to start a conversation, especially if you love to talk music, just like everyone else. I made a lot of great friends at the show. Some of them I still talk to and are excited to see this year. One of the major things that made this trip so great (besides the music of course) was the people. It was almost like a family reunion, even though they were people you hadn't met yet.

There were quite of few people who went by themselves last year and I'm pretty sure they had a good time. Believe me, you are never alone at progpower, unless you want to be. What made the trip for me last year was the people I met.YOu'll meet people from across the country, and other countries as well. You might even be convinced to listen to bands that you never thought you'd like or be exposed to new bands you've never heard of...

I say take a chance and make the trip. It's rare to have the opportunity to see all of these bands at one shot!! I'm sure I'll see you there and I GUARANTEE you'll have fun!!

Sheri:loco:

Thanks Sheri for the information :)

Can one easily find a place to stay near the venue? Were the hotels totally booked last year, or is it all right to go without reserving a room?
Also, around how much do the hotel stays cost?

Thanks!

PS- Once the tickets are on sale, how will you guys be purchasing them? I'm planning to get mine online; I should be able to get one if I'm fast enough, right? ;)

I'm not a go-it-alone sort of person. So, if it was me, I would find a friend who is into "roadtrips", jump in a car and go. That being said, I met tons of people last year, and every one of them was cool. I spent the week partying with people I had just met. And if you spend enough time on some of the various Metal boards (like this one) you'll feel like you know a bunch of people before you even get there.

By the way, if you hang around here long enough, I wouldn't be shocked if you found someone from Baltimore who plans on driving down.

GZ

I would definately book a room now at one of the suggested hotels if you want to be the closest to the venue: Best Western Granada Suites or the Fairfield. If your driving you can go farther away and it will probably be cheaper. Both the Granada Suites and Fairfield have websites- just search for them. They'll let you know of availability and pricing. These rooms are going fast.
You had asked about the atmosphere at the concert:
believe it or not:
If you wanted to go in front for "your bands" you could. There was no pushing, no moshing, and no fighting. People really respected each other. It was a really comfortable and relaxed atomsphere.

-Sheri

jin, I first want to say that I both admire and respect your trepidation AND willingness to "go it alone." I was almost planning on doing the same since my girlfriend said she would ABSOLUTELY NOT sit through 2 days of metal :rolleyes:. Luckily, a friend who simply wants to have a good time and is open to all sorts of good music is coming with me. And the more posts I read like the ones in this thread have me absolutely convinced that we're ALL going to have a simply fantastic time! I hope you do decide to come, solo or not!

Which leads me to my second point...DO NOT assume they'll be hotel rooms anywhere near the venue. When I phoned the Granada Best Western (which seems to be literally 1 or 2 blocks from the venue), I inquired about making a reservation in November, and the clerk said "Oh, you're coming for ProgPower?" We got into a conversation and he said how much fun it seems to be every year, with people coming from all over the WORLD. I also got one of the last rooms available at the particular hotel. Sure, there are other hotels, but they're both farther away in spirit and distance. My recommendation is to grab a room now and worry about the tickets in July and airfare later than that.

Good luck to you!

Jin,

I was in the same boat last year in the fact that I knew no one from Michigan that was going. As luck would have it I ended up meeting Sheri and Dustin before the show (actually Sheri turned me on to Dustin's band Katagory V so I ended up interviewing him for my zine, but that's another story).

Anyway, I went to PP2 by myself and had a blast. Everyone there was totally cool, Sheri and Dustin (and Curtis) were a lot of fun and I'm going alone again this year and can't wait to hook up with everyone again!

As for the atmosphere, I've been to probably a 100 or more concerts and it was unlike any I've been to...it really was like a family atmosphere. You could walk to up just about anyone and strike up a conversation.

I checked on line earlier this week and rooms at the Fairfield are sold out. I'm sure the Granada Suites are to. There's other hotels in the general area or if your looking to cut cost maybe someone will share a room.

I know one thing, my hotels just down the street from Dustins so I'm stocking up on LOTS of beer when I get in town. That way we can stagger back and forth :D

Hope we've encourage you enough to come on down.

John
Underground Zine Scene
http://www.geocities.com/zinescene.geo

Me & my bud will definitely load up on beer...my room (at the Granada - close staggering distance) is already open to any cool people who want to party!

Man, could November be ANY further away!

All the nearby hotels are booked? Wow. I wish I had found out about this event sooner than I did!

Great... You think I can go around the venue in November begging people to share their rooms with me? :D

I don't have a car or anything. It seems that the nearest hotels available now are at least a mile away from the venue. Anyone know if there are any buses that I can take?

Or better yet, back to my original proposition... Anyone willing to share?

I'll pay cash... :rolleyes:

I, being a very small female as well, am going alone. Of course i live here in Atlanta but I have ventured to the New England Fest in Mass. two years in a row now. The crowd at Prog are much easier to meet and hang out with than the other metal fests.
If you want, you can always hang with me, I am pretty harmless.
It is great to see that you are willing to take the trip alone to see some good metal...

Linda

Hi Jin & everyone else

I live in Phila., and I'm in the same boat. None of my friends are into this type of music (or able to make the trip). However, I was blown away when I saw the lineup! So, I'll be coming down by my lonesome this November.

Hopefully, there will be a get together or two going on before the concert.

Steve

I will be making the trip to Atlanta alone, although I will know a lot of people there. I am staying at the Hampton, which is a little further away than the Fairfield or Granada Suites, but is cheaper and probably not booked up already. Everyone is so cool at this event, you'll make tons of new friends I'm sure. If you need a bodyguard, I'll hang out with ya! I'm always happy to meet new people, especially east coasters since I am planning to move back there one of these years.
Glad to know there are more than 3 of us females going too! hehe

See you there! :wave:

Alicia

Well Jin I don't live anywhere near you (sf, CA), but I am going alone to PP3. I'm getting a good deal through a friend that works for a travel agent so I will be getting flight cheap and hotel cheap too. If 1 or two people would like to chip in with me we can get a good deal.

-Satan