What's so good about Edguy??

Wandrail said:
I hardly see how Angra far outweighs Edguy in terms of anything really other than they have a more advanced lead guitarist. Angra, while a good band has never really blown me away, i've never found myself addicted to an Angra cd. Edguy is all about songwriting, and when it comes to heavy metal, there are few out there right now who do it better or more uniquely.QUOTE]

I couldn't disagree more!
Angra writes better songs, are waaaaaaaay more unique and are equally catchy, not being cheesy. Hell, Angra is by far the best power metal band. But it's just a matter of taste, right? I don't mean to get into fights here...
WHile you were never blown away by Angra, Holy Land is my favorite CD ever...

Yeah, don't worry about it man, I'm not a retard, I don't get into fights over music discussions. ;) I do disagree though, and judging by this King of Fools EP, which contains songs that didn't make the cut on the upcoming album...I can't even guess how excellent the material on Hellfire Club will be! My expectations are quite high.

Um, I don't think that's true on the forum audience being majorly Power metal fans.

I think even Glenn has said this, that it's a majority of Prog fans here on the forum, but at the shows it seems like Power metal has more of the audience's attention.

*shrugs*

Hmmm... I'd be curious to learn if Glenn does in fact see it that way. After all, look at whose been "billed" as the festival's headliners the only two festivals that sold out:

PPIII
Friday = Blind Guardian (they only went on 4th as the band's request)
Saturday = Angra and Gamma Ray (Glenn billed them as co-headliners)

PPIV
Friday - Nightwish (they only went on 4th as the band's request)
Saturday - Rage

That's five headliners, and five Power Metal bands.

Zod

Angra may not have Edguy's energy onstage, but their songwriting is much better. Don't get me wrong, I love Edguy too, but I still haven't seen one power metal band that equals to Angra as far as songwriting and tightness. I would love to see Edguy again, no doubts about it, but I still got that feeling that Angra will be back!!!!

Wandrail said:
I hardly see how Angra far outweighs Edguy in terms of anything really other than they have a more advanced lead guitarist. Angra, while a good band has never really blown me away, i've never found myself addicted to an Angra cd. Edguy is all about songwriting, and when it comes to heavy metal, there are few out there right now who do it better or more uniquely. I hear no other band in the waves of those who sound just like Rhapsody and Stratovarius that make me think of Edguy as just another face in the crowd. They stand out to me, and no they haven't invented anything new, and neither have any of these other bands, or most bands for that matter - but they write inspired, unique songs that are catchy, have longevity to me, and they don't take themselves too seriously thank GOD. They do write less complicated songs, but songs like Theater of Salvation also display an ability to handle the more complex and longer songs, which I'm glad for because every damn band does not need to bend my mind and ears with time changes and weird tempos despite how much I do love progressive stuff.

I wouldn't mind seeing POS again, but there is no contest to me between them and Edguy because POS' material doesn't translate live very well for me, although they perform it flawlessly. They are a band I like being able to listen to in a situation where I can actually hear all the little nuances and crap going on, and when they play laaate in the evening after a long day of energetic bands, well, I nearly passed out at PP3 during their set, and I love POS. Edguy just pushes all the right buttons for alot of people, I think, and with a new, bound to be stellar album I think everyone is just foaming at the mouth with th epossibility of seeing em.
Amen to that! Well said!

All you Angra loving muthafuckaz are gonna try to kill me this year when I show up on the floor of the Earthlink.

I was front and center for Edguy, and they were THE band I went to see. I was ecstatic to see Blind Guardian as well, but Tobias and the boys are why I even went in the first place.

And now, for the damning evidence:

We walked out on Angra.

Yes! It's true! I've got witnesses! I actually sat there, all excited an sheeit, and they came on stage, I saw the HUGE backdrop, and knew this should kick my ass.

It didn't.

I dunno why! I mean, by all standards and comparisons, they shoulda had me sold. But they didn't. And yes, I knew a good chunk of Angra material before I saw them. So I knew what to expect. But it didn't stun me like seeing the band I came to see with the highest of expectations, and having those expectations DOMINANTLY EXCEEDED by Edguy! I mean, even the Mighty MetallicA back in the day didn't stun me and capture me like Edguy did!

Now then. I've got a Brasilian friend, who told me flat out, that she did NOT like Angra after the split. And that she was now following the Shaman crew, because that's where the magic lies. She's absolutely right! Cuz she sent me the DVD of RituaLive, and it blew me away! It's got me wanting to watch it again front to back without ever getting out of my seat! I truly hope that Glenn got them for this year, cuz if so, you're gonna see one helluva competition between Edguy and Shaman. I honestly don't care about whoever else I get to see. If I get to see one or the other of these two bands, I'll pay the $90 just for that!

But I do have a question for y'all.

I haven't heard ANY of the Edguy fans make any remarks about the Savage Poetry albums! I've got the limited double disc of the original demo, and the re-recorded album from 2000. I just wonder if anyone else even heard it, cuz of all of Edguys stuff, this album has some of my favorite material on it. I'm forever grateful that they took their old crappy songs, redid them, and breathed new life into them. It proved to me that if you write a damned good song, then it will prove itself. And every song on Savage Poetry's first attempt were unbearable because Tobias didn't discover his voice yet, the guitars were terribly recorded and performed, and the drums were nonexistant. And yet I could tell the songs were there! Once they re-recorded them, you had a perfect time capsule of a band showing how they matured, learned, and improved in leaps and bounds. I'm so glad they renewed their old songs on that album.

Now... if only they'd PLAY THE FUCKERS during a show.... :headbang:

I have the actual original 95 version *GLOAT* GLOAT* too but I prefer those versions to the re-recorded ones, especially Sacred Hell, Hallowed, Key to My Fate, Eyes of the Tyrant and Frozen Candle. The new ones are superb dont get me wrong but the youthful energy that the guys had when they were all of 15 is captured so well on the first version.

Ben

Bryan316 said:
We walked out on Angra.

Yes! It's true! I've got witnesses! I actually sat there, all excited an sheeit, and they came on stage, I saw the HUGE backdrop, and knew this should kick my ass.

It didn't.
Angra were probably my second favorite at PPIII, after Edguy.

One of the magical moments I'll remember from PPIII is the percussive interlude during Angra's set. Now normally I hate drum solos, like the Gamma Ray drum solo that went on forever, but does anyone else remember the Angra drum section? For about 5-10 minutes, the entire band (including Edu) played a Brazillian tribal set piece on drums. All of them drumming on stage together was brilliant!

This was one of the reasons why I bought the Angra Rebirth Live DVD, but unfortunately it doesn't have that drum section! I assume they did it as a special for ProgPower perhaps...?

Not sure if Glenn would ever release that piece of footage on MPEG, but it would be cool to have IMO. :cool:

I think Angra and Edguy where both excellent shows at PPIII, the difference for me was that Edguy wasn’t a “headliner” and they where the biggest “surprise” in the show.
And yes, the drum solo from Angra blow me away!!!!