What's the best band gimmick you've seen?

Bryan316

METAL... nuff said!
Ya know... something cheesy or kickass.... like GWAR. Hilarious, vulgar, gross, huge comic-book-esque costumes, playing METAL. I've seen a band (I think) from New York that played on stage in full hockey gear. They were called PenaltyBox or Hipcheck or something like that. All wearing different team sweaters, skates, pads, rockin out. I've also seen a Pro-Wrestling-themed band. Luciador masks, ropes and turnbuckles on stage, body-slamming each other in the middle of songs while the rest of the band plays behind the combat.

Yeah, they're just gimmicks, but some of them are cool. I'm sure there are better ones out there. The bounty hunter thread got me thinking.... it'd be kickass to see a buncha bounty hunters on stage playing thrash metal er sumthin. Well... as long as they don't suck.

JCMRecords said:
Marilyn Manson
I'll second this, and also GWAR. I saw them way back in the mid 90s and it was such a hoot. I saw Marilyn Manson on Halloween weekend a few years ago, and that was one of the best shows I've seen here. I'm hoping Milwaukee will be one of the cities that gets to see Slayer's wall of blood - sounds like a pretty wicked gimmick! :devil:

Alicia

The best gimmick... would have to KISS! They are the trendsetters when it comes to gimmicks and mass marketing. I'm sure everyone on this board who remembers the 70's (are there many, or am i just dating myself?) wished deep down they had all four KISS 12" dolls to accompany their Kiss lunchboxes to school.

Grand Moff Tarkin. It was a metal/punk band that were here in atlanta, they played at dragon con one year. They were all dressed up like stormtroopers and oola. Their lead singer was dressed up like vader and they hung a big banner of the emperor behind the drum set.

Brent

bassbitch said:
The best gimmick... would have to KISS! They are the trendsetters when it comes to gimmicks and mass marketing. I'm sure everyone on this board who remembers the 70's (are there many, or am i just dating myself?) wished deep down they had all four KISS 12" dolls to accompany their Kiss lunchboxes to school.
yah, but to the Godfather of heavy metal her preceeded KISS...

Alice Cooper.
-nuff said

and Gwar :)

Burzum - burning of the Fantoft church in 1992

4009.jpg

Alice Cooper will always be king to me. I fell in love with his stage show at age 4.

Grand Moff Tarkin were pretty funny, the Star Wars lyrics, they really got a huge crowd at DCON that year.

Genitorturers used to blow me away too, expecially the first time i saw them open for Danzig and Sacred Reich, I was like "what the hell is going on here?"

GWAR!!! Spent my 30th birthday in the pit getting covered in goo! Also, there is an underground band called Kettle Cadevar......sort of like the Genitorturers only amped up to 11. Impotent Sea Snakes are/were pretty gimmicky as well.

Impotent Sea Snakes! I forgot all about them! What a hoot.

Y'know... come to think of it, I actually saw the Genitorturers open for Gwar twice... once in WPB, once in Orlando... talk about a helluva show! I was 16 and impressionable... lol

Hahahaha, I was considering mentioning Grand Moff Tarkin, but I figured no-one would know who they were. I may never forget the sight of an Imperial stormtrooper waggling his armor-clad butt at the crowd. :ill:

I saw the Impudent Sea Snakes perform once. Naked. Mind you, they weren't supposed to, hence the "impudent" monicker. o_O

We don't always have great bands at Dragon*Con, but we DO have some memorable performances. :cool: :Spin: (Chick Corea, Dave Weckl and co. this past year qualified as both.)