What's The Difference

In my opinion: a "Great cd is one that almost all the tracks are "great" such as Marillion's Afraid Of Sunlight. Cannibal Surf Baby is total trash so that negates a "Masterpiece"
Now with The Gap - all the songs are great; so to me. it is a Masterpiece!

In my opinion: a "Great cd is one that almost all the tracks are "great" such as Marillion's Afraid Of Sunlight. Cannibal Surf Baby is total trash so that negates a "Masterpiece"
Now with The Gap - all the songs are great; so to me. it is a Masterpiece!

Now for me ""Renaissance""--Novella is a Masterpiece ...( IMO)

Also for me,::

Marillion--Misplaced Childhood
Collage--Moonshine
Satellite---A Street Between Sunrise & Sunset
Frost---Milliontown
Sylvan--Posthumous Silence

Im sure I can find more..

What about you Ken....Whats your "" Masterpiece"" or is ( Buy or Die) in the same catagoury ??

Masterpiece status probably goes back to the originators but not exclusively of course. The issue with masterpiece status is you've heard the album so often its ingrained in your DNA. For me Brain Salad Surgery is a masterpiece. So is Close To The Edge, Selling England By The Pound, Of Queues And Cures, and on and on. I don't need to hear them again. They are a part of me.

There are more recent albums like Riverside's "Out Of Myself" that for me is a masterpiece. Zero Hour "The Towers Of Avarice", Spiral Architect "A Sceptic's Universe".

A great album is one that as a whole you get incredible enjoyment album - even if there is a weak track hiding on the album. A masterpiece is one that is near life-changing. It shakes you to your core and resonates with you on an emotional level. Its the one you don't have to discuss with your friends because they already know.

Reactions: LeepinLeemur
Well said Ken!

Ken,
What are your TOP 3 albums of ALL TIME?
Just curious.

Sal

I don't really rank albums like that. I have 25 top 3.

I'm particularly fond of ELP - Brain Salad Surgery, Genesis - The Lamb, and King Crimson - ITCOTCK. Tomorrow I could give you a completely different answer.

Reactions: LeepinLeemur
My personal favorite, that I consider a masterpiece:

Scorpions - Fly To The Rainbow