Who is your "Rodney Dangerfield" band ?

Dec 16, 2002
www.facebook.com
Who among your favorites "Gets No Respect", or much less than you think they deserve?

Mine is definately Mystic Prophecy. The have released several solid to excellent power metal discs in the 5 years or so, but really haven't gained the kind of following or fanfare I think they deserve. I think Regressus and Savage Souls are among the best power metal albums released over the past few years, and the other two at least fall in that solid category. True, they aren't reinventing the wheel, but discs full of a tasty power metal should translate into more success than MP has achieved to date.

I think they are a terrific power metal band, that is very close to the same level as say ... Brainstorm, but when it comes to noteriety they seem to be a forgotten band. They rarely get any kind of a buzz on the various forums for some reason, but seem to have many elements that should get them some mentions. The songs are generally heavy, catchy, and include excellent musicianship, and vocal work. You'd think it would make for a winning combination, but it seems to me this band is no bigger today than when they debuted a few years back.

Their latest disc .. Savage Souls is in my opinion their best work to date, and comes packaged with a free DVD (pal) of a small live gig they did of the entire Savage Souls album. It's a great package, but got next to no mention or buzz. There isn't a weak track to be found on that disc, and it includes several face ripping power metal tracks.

Perhaps a band like Mystic Prophecy needs a "break" of sorts to get them elevated. Maybe an apperance at a festival like Prog Power USA would help do the trick? I know I'd love to see them in a #3 spot in the next year or two.

Britt

Nightingale.

alright, they're not exactly tech prog or power metal, but they're just a damn fine band with damn fine songs.

the same goes for.... Third Eye Blind. no, that's not a typo.

for Prog, I wish Zero Hour had more fans- they deserve them!

Kenneth R. said:
Nightingale.

alright, they're not exactly tech prog or power metal, but they're just a damn fine band with damn fine songs.

the same goes for.... Third Eye Blind. no, that's not a typo.

for Prog, I wish Zero Hour had more fans- they deserve them!
I'd agree with Nightingale. I've been spinning their stuff a lot of late. Nightfall Overture, and "I" got multiple spins this week. That Nightfall Overture compilation from last year is a terrific mix of cuts.

I can agree with you on Zero Hour as well, but vocalist changes, and delays really cost them. I don't know if they will ever really rebound from the lost of Eric Rosvold. He was a truly excellent singer.

Britt

YtseJammer said:
Virgin Steele.

Like Manowar...just better. Unfortunately, not nearly as successful!
That's a good choice. I'm not a real big fan of VS or Manowar, but it's funny how one makes it really big, and the other can't sell more than a few thousand cd's.

Britt

DarkTide said:
That's a good choice. I'm not a real big fan of VS or Manowar, but it's funny how one makes it really big, and the other can't sell more than a few thousand cd's.

Britt

That's easy to figure out... it's because OTHER BANDS PLAY... MANOWAR KILLS!!!!!

Lol... sorry, I better hunt down some zoloft or something :)

I like this idea and completely agree with the original poster about Mystic Prohpecy.

My choice goes to Poverty's No Crime. No one, and I mean no one talks about or even mentions this band, and imo, they are one of the best prog metal bands out there that continuosuly put out quality efforts. Now hyere is a band that would create some buzz if given an opportunity to tear it up at PP. The crazy thing here is that I think they are on Inside Out, but apparently Inside Out is not getting the job done when it comes to marketing, etc...

I am shocked that these guys have yet to see the PP stage.

Yep...PNC is a band that has skimmed under the radar pretty much, but are a very talented & solid bunch of guys. I've nominated them for PP before...maybe one day.
Ivanhoe is likewise. Great band & materiial. They made some noise early on with Andy Franck on vocals, but he dropped out and so did the recognition. Their newest release "Walk In The Mindfields" is very good with great vocals by vocalist Misha Mang.

Days of the New. Not at all metal, I know. Sadly, most people only know them for their first album, and more specifically the *radio hits* from said album. However, their following 2 releases touched on a more progressive style, as well as incorporating a fair amount of orchestral elements. Travis Meeks, who I feel has an unbelievable voice, definitely took both vocals and songwriting to the next level with these as well. Unfortunately, they remain off most people's radar, and I believe suffer from not falling into any specific genre.

Enertia.

They're simply one of the best and tightest bands around. I've seen them play a 90-minute set in the middle of a cornfield... I've seen them play the Chicago Powerfest twice (back in the days when it was less of a world-class festival, and more of just a metal get-together for friends in the scene)... I've even seen them play the ProgPower USA V pre-party, where they went on last, and pretty much everyone was gone before they even hit the stage. Those people who left missed one of the sweetest performances ever to grace the Earthlink Live building. I blame Ivan for making everyone exhausted. They have four amazing albums out... they get rave reviews every time they release a disc or play a show... they've even had Neil Kernon and Mattias Noren on board for one of their discs (which wasn't even their best one!)... and still they're an unsigned band who is constantly getting passed over for festival and touring slots. That's what I call "getting no respect".

Bands that I really dig and have had lengthy and consistent careers but for some reason or another don't seem to get enough love from the metal community:

Jag Panzer - This band has released some great metal albums but for some reason, nobody talks about them....almost at all (besides Ample Destruction being name dropped here and there).

UDO - Another very solid metal outfit that is overshadowed by the legendary former band of Udo's, the mighty Accept. I know that is a tough shadow to deal with but still this band is a tight, mean, and lean metal machine and nobody even blinks at them (except maybe in Russia).

Angra - They should be considered power metal gods, IMO. Their last 2 albums were some of the best power/prog albums ever created. This band needs waaaayyyy more respect.

And my #1 all time 'Rodney Dangerfield' band:

Savatage - Yeah, Savatage. I know they had a tiny bit of limelight in the late 80's but if you look at the catalogue of this band (besides Fight For The Cock, of course) it is quite stellar. Not too many bands in metal can match up, IMO. They should be mentioned in the second tier of great metal bands after Sabbath, Maiden, and Priest. The last time I saw them (on the Poets & Madmen tour which btw was a terrific album), there were prolly 200 people at the show. When you see mediocre bands like Dragonforce, Sonata Arctica, Nevermore and Symphony X draw much more, you just gotta shake your freakin' head. :erk: Heck, they should be at least be as big as Dream Theater and I love DT!

Look at my avatar.........

Power Quest! With the recent success of bands like Sonata and DragonForce, I am surprised no festival has picked up on these guys (well, they almost played Chicago Power Fest, but the line-up was booked already).

If you like flower metal with keys and an 80's flair, this band is for you.

Well, this will take some time for me to come up with:

PRETTY MAIDS!!!!!!!

Are you kidding me? This band has been around for almost 25 years now. They've released about 20 awesome cds without ever selling out to the trends. They are a band who is ALWAYS overlooked in the respect department and I have to figure that people lost track of them after they did not get a US deal. Those people, in fact, have missed out on one of the most solid and melodic bands in the history of metal. If you've lost track of them, then it's well past time to reacquaint yourself with the Maids!

Death Angel don't seem to get the respect/acknowlodgement they deserve. I'm yet to read a metal encylopedia with an entry for them. They were awesome, but were overshadowed by other bay area thrash bands (Metallica, Exodus, Testament). I don't know anyone here in Adelaide that listen to them and have had to buy their albums online. The Ultra-Violence and Frolic in the Park are excellent thrash albums.